Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

a gsm mast has a range around 40 miles but a 3g mast has a range of 3.7 miles
    Is this solely because of the difference between 900MHz and 2100MHz? I always assumed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Slightly hijacking thread here but does anyone know when they're getting Nokias back on their list of available handsets ?

Its funny that they dropped the 6680 completely, given that its in all their billboard adverts ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Karsini wrote:
    Is this solely because of the difference between 900MHz and 2100MHz? I always assumed that.

no idea why its range is shorter, just know that it is

long_b wrote:
    Slightly hijacking thread here but does anyone know when they're getting Nokias back on their list of available handsets ?

Its funny that they dropped the 6680 completely, given that its in all their billboard adverts ..

should be getting the 6280 soon and that'll replace the 6680 totally because it has eveything the 6680 has plus a radio and a better camera.

i thought it was odd too that they'd publish the 6680 all over the country and then drop it a month later

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i thought it was odd too that they'd publish the 6680 all over the country and then drop it a month later

False advertising perhaps?
    The fact their affectively advertising a phone they don't offer

to be fair, when they made the ads they were offering the phone. and since they're now offering a better phone for the same price (give or take e20) i'll let them away with it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

to be fair, when they made the ads they were offering the phone. and since they're now offering a better phone for the same price (give or take e20) i'll let them away with it

Are they?
    I see no sign of ANY Nokia phone on their site at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Belfunk wrote:
    They told me the N70 would also be on sale with 3 this Friday

Its Friday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

JimmySmith wrote:
    Its Friday :)

Yes it is but are you susprised that there is no N70 or 6280 on the 3 website!

Did you try CPW to see if they actually have it?

I'm not surprised at all in fairness, you'll prop see then N70 n co on the website within two months

Cabaal wrote:
    Are they?
    I see no sign of ANY Nokia phone on their site at present.

its not there yet. its the 6280. its been expected for about two months so i'd say cancelling the 6680 was the last step before introducing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

was onto 3 on Henry street today guess what they don't have either phone "in the next two weeks" was the date i was told. I heard that in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

except that i saw one working in a 6230. thats not 3g. 3 don't make their sim cards dual mode even though they can, in other words they lock them to 3g phones just like i said.
    Yes, 3G phones, but not just 3G phones from 3. Any unlocked one will work, but you are right.
    trust me on this, i sold 3 phones until about a week ago. they care about the 3g features, not so much the calls. to quote the rep from 3: "3 isn't about phones, its about content". the whole point of the company is that its 3g, offering 3g services for money. if they "make their money the same way the other networks do" there's not much point building only 3g masts. a gsm mast has a range around 40 miles but a 3g mast has a range of 3.7 miles. they build far more masts at a cost of roughly 500,000 each so people will download clips and make them money
    True, but 3 still make money in the same way as the other networks. 3 will most likly sell sim packs, but they will only work in 3G phones. This is just to make sure that there customers will be able to use there 3G services, where as you said, they will make there "real" money. The reason that they would insist on you buying a phone is just so that they can guarentee that you will be able to use there 3G services out of the box.

Anyway, I am not bothered too much about Threepay, I like my bill service.
    Since 3 is still a small player in the irish market, they charge a lot for the calls and give a lot of there 3G content away for free. In contrast Voda, charge for almost everything on there 3G portal. I have no doubt that 3 will start charging more once they get more customers to charge. Then the calls may go down as they will push the 3G Video Call service instead. But that is probably wishful thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Since 3 is still a small player in the irish market, they charge a lot for the calls and give a lot of there 3G content away for free. In contrast Voda, charge for almost everything on there 3G portal. I have no doubt that 3 will start charging more once they get more customers to charge. Then the calls may go down as they will push the 3G Video Call service instead. But that is probably wishful thinking.

I only joined Three 'cos their calls were so cheap!

€60 for 600 minutes??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Jam Man wrote:
    I only joined Three 'cos their calls were so cheap!

€60 for 600 minutes??!!
    I joined 3 for the same reason, but I when I was talking about three's call charges being expensive, I was referring to the charges outside your minutes which work out to 30c for mobiles and 15c for landlines and 3 numbers. I would still consider this a lot for calls. Landlines are still a lot cheaper. And like landlines it costs the operators almost nothing to route calls on there own network.

But compared to the big two, 3 is definatly the cheapest, and it is welcome competition in the market.

Now, to go back on topic, does anyone have an update on the launch of the Threepay service? Calling C/S is no good as they will just tell you that they only find out around the same time as the website is updated. They seem to be kept in the dark on these things.

Belfunk wrote:
    was onto 3 on Henry street today guess what they don't have either phone "in the next two weeks" was the date i was told. I heard that in December.

the shop on henry street isn't 3, its 3g. they're completely separate companies. 3g is irish owned. 3 is owned by a japanese corporation called hutchinson whampoa

the 6280 thing is annoying me at this stage. how feckin long can it take to put them in a box and ship them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I recon a new range of phones will come with the introduction of threepay in the coming months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

3 is owned by a japanese corporation called hutchinson whampoa

Hong Kong actually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I've had a lot of comments from people lately that they have been trying to call me but after dailing my number they got a message stating that "their call could not be connected at the moment". And that's it.
    No voicemail, no nothing...
    Anybody else experiencing this?

E.

mayhem# wrote:
    I've had a lot of comments from people lately that they have been trying to call me but after dailing my number they got a message stating that "their call could not be connected at the moment". And that's it.
    No voicemail, no nothing...
    Anybody else experiencing this?

E.

Yes, but only when dialing from a Meteor phone
    I've even tested it with my Nokia 6100 with a meteor sim and from time to time I get this message. The message seems to come from Meteor and not Three

• Advertisement

does anyone know if 3 can stop a text sending multiple times? i sent one to an australian number and she's got it 6 times so far. i phoned 3 and the guy said that she has to ring her network to get it to stop.

the analogy he used was if a postman tries to deliver a letter to someone's house and they're not in, he keeps trying. but surely there's some way to shoot the postman?

not sure if there's a way to stop it, all I know is I txted a friend in the US twice and both times he got the message 16 times. They stopped on their own basically :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I had the same issue with a colleague who was roaming in the UK. He got the message on the hour for a day. Three gave me a similar reasoning about the network not giving a delivey receipt so it keeps trying to deliver. However, this doesn't happen with other networks (that I have experienced) and 3 need to sort this one out. It would be very embarassing in my colleague had of been a business contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

the shop on henry street isn't 3, its 3g. they're completely separate companies. 3g is irish owned. 3 is owned by a japanese corporation called hutchinson whampoa

the 6280 thing is annoying me at this stage. how feckin long can it take to put them in a box and ship them
    actually its a hong kong company

1huge1 wrote:
    actually its a hong kong company
    indeed it is. i stand corrected. somewhere in my brain i associated hong kong with japan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

indeed it is. i stand corrected. somewhere in my brain i associated hong kong with japan

and it's Hutchison Whampoa, not Hutchinson....;) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

the multiple text thing happened with o2 ireland so it has nothing to do with roaming.

I've had the multiple texts issue a few times. Three times when people were away (both O2) and once while someone was in Dublin, also O2.

Jam Man wrote:
    and it's Hutchison Whampoa, not Hutchinson....;) :p

if you read back i originally called it hutchinson whampoa and then just shortened it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

HG3I as we like to call them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

lets just leave it with 3 or Three
    anyway you know how they got rid of the roaming charges for the UK well do you think they will do the same with other european countries
    i suppose they will go for the ones were they have 3 networks
    i know italy has a 3 network but does spain and germany?

Advertisement