Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Anyone else find that their web service has been out of action since Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

if you read back i originally called it hutchinson whampoa and then just shortened it :)

You still put an 'n' in the middle of Hutchison ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Jam Man wrote:
    You still put an 'n' in the middle of Hutchison ;)

i never even noticed because if you put hutchinson into google it doesn't give that "did you mean" thing. odd

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

1huge1 wrote:
    lets just leave it with 3 or Three
    anyway you know how they got rid of the roaming charges for the UK well do you think they will do the same with other european countries
    i suppose they will go for the ones were they have 3 networks
    i know italy has a 3 network but does spain and germany?

AUSTRIA,AUSTRALIA AND HONG KONG ALL HAVE 3 AS FAR AS I KNOW AND YOU CAN ALREADY VIEW YOUR NEWS/MUSIC WHEN ON THOSE NETWORKS BUT CALLS ARE CRAZY EXPENSIVE

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

Hasn't anybody noticed that Dual Downloads do not work at all!

www.three.co.uk/dd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

anyone else hear that 3 ireland made a loss of €3million?
    heres a link its at the bottom
    http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9675524.html
    i suppose its not that suprising there only new here and it takes a lot of investment entering a market with 100% penetration
    still they have a long way to go and personally their advertising aint really going anywere the fact is that a lot of people in ireland dont even know who 3 are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

They made huge losses when the opened in the UK too. It's as expected when entering a new market, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I am only back from Scotland and whenever I sent a text to anyone. They kept getting the message at least 12 times. Everyone must think I am a phsyco. Its great the way it uses your voice minutes when in the UK now when roaming.

1huge1 wrote:
    anyone else hear that 3 ireland made a loss of €3million?
    heres a link its at the bottom
    http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9675524.html
    i suppose its not that suprising there only new here and it takes a lot of investment entering a market with 100% penetration
    still they have a long way to go and personally their advertising aint really going anywere the fact is that a lot of people in ireland dont even know who 3 are

ye i can't believe that i still have to tell people i'm not crazy when i say my number is 083. i just started a new job and my manager was trying to ring me for two days because whoever put my details into the system just though i was an idiot and changed it to a 6. i'm not sure what made them pick 6. have people not noticed that their ads have been on every bus in dublin for the last few months!?

Three should advertise in all national papers and on TV alot more. Also bill boards in every major town then they would get peoples attention more. They havnt reached their potential with regards advertising. If people dont know about 083 that just goes to show it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Having a few Nokias would help their case too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dellas wrote:
    Three should advertise in all national papers and on TV alot more. Also bill boards in every major town then they would get peoples attention more. They havnt reached their potential with regards advertising. If people dont know about 083 that just goes to show it .

In fairness I don't think the fact that people don't know what 083 is a issue, its very common for people to bring their numbers with them now and since the vast majority of people in Ireland have a mobile its much easier for them to bring their 085, 087 or 086 number with them then to change....like I did when I moved from O2 to Three.

They really need to get themselfs some Nokia phones, its a pretty bad selection on their website at the moment....very disappointing!

yes a few nokia's would definetely help the situation but i have to admit the motorola v3x is a very good phone
    i just dont think there doing a good job of getting there name out there
    true it dos'nt really make a difference for people like us who are reaping the benefits of their class service

Cabaal wrote:
    In fairness I don't think the fact that people don't know what 083 is a issue, its very common for people to bring their numbers with them now and since the vast majority of people in Ireland have a mobile its much easier for them to bring their 085, 087 or 086 number with them then to change....like I did when I moved from O2 to Three.

They really need to get themselfs some Nokia phones, its a pretty bad selection on their website at the moment....very disappointing!

Yeah I get what your saying that the prefix doesnt matter but I really meant Three as a brand is not well known!!! If you asked 100 people on the street to name the mobile operators in Ireland I think less than 10% would mention Three and thats the problem that Three face. If Three started advertising on TV before and after the sports programs or main News programs then they would get more publicity. Even sponser local football clubs etc...that would be a great way of getting their product known

Dellas wrote:
    Yeah I get what your saying that the prefix doesnt matter but I really meant Three as a brand is not well known!!! If you asked 100 people on the street to name the mobile operators in Ireland I think less than 10% would mention Three and thats the problem that Three face. If Three started advertising on TV before and after the sports programs or main News programs then they would get more publicity. Even sponser local football clubs etc...that would be a great way of getting their product known
    Well you do see them on a lot of buses
    but what i think would be there biggest help would be if they had their own store
    i can't imagine them getting any business from that 3G shop and carphone warehouse isnt doing them enough justice (although that could be 3's fault because their not releasing enough phones)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

I'm still waiting for the new Nokia.
    I'm dying to move from vodafone, so if the nokia is not available very soon i'm just moving to Meteor.
    Everytime i ask in CPW they say next week.
    This has been every week since Christmas.

Do a bit of searching and there's plenty of clues on why it's not out here yet...

http://discussions.nokia.co.uk/discussions/board/message?board.id=phones&message.id=2095&view=by_date_ascending&page=15

If I was 3 I'd wait until the bugs are sorted by nokia before selling it!!

They sell it (and a whole heap of other phones) in the UK, so why not here?

Because it's not working properly and they're getting loads of them brought back (as are Vodafone) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

I switched from O2 to 3 two months ago and up till now it has been one big dissapointment. Following are the issues that I have with their service:
    1. Two weeks after I switched over I could not make any more calls to foreign & premium numbers. Instead I got some stupid message saying that I had reached my credit limit. I called customer services and was told that innitially there is a credit limit. This should be lifted once the first direct debit has been received. About a month later (and after the first bill was paid in full) the same **** happened again. Called CS again and was now told that the limit will be lifted after three months. When I told them that I was previously told that it would be lifted after the first payment had been recieved I was told that "whoever told me that was mistaken", doooh....
    2. The lack of full Internet & mail access. What is the point in having a 3G network when you can only access the moronic content that 3 makes available? Also I want to be able to accedd my existing mail accounts. I do not expect Blackberry like convenience but the current email offering is pathetic
    3. The stupid "repetitive SMS syndrome"; why does every text message that I sent to a foreign number arrive there 5-10 times. Surely someone knows how to fix this?
    4. The fact that it's not possible to MMS messages to foreign numbers. Do I realy need to explain how rediculous this is?
    5. 9 out of 10 times that someone tries to call me from a phone outside of Ireland they get a message stating that "their call cannot be connected" following by a disconnect. No voicemail or nothing. 3 support says they have never heard of this happening and blames it on my handset...
    6. Ever so often when trying to connect a call (inbound or outbound) the call is connected but neither person on each side of the conenction can hear each other. The only solution so far has been to hard reboot the handset.
    7. There are probably several more issues but I can't think of them right now...

My advice?
    Stay away from 3 untill they get their act together....

E.

• Advertisement

mayhem# wrote:
    Two weeks after I switched over I could not make any more calls to foreign & premium numbers. Instead I got some stupid message saying that I had reached my credit limit. I called customer services and was told that innitially there is a credit limit. This should be lifted once the first direct debit has been received. About a month later (and after the first bill was paid in full) the same **** happened again. Called CS again and was now told that the limit will be lifted after three months. When I told them that I was previously told that it would be lifted after the first payment had been recieved I was told that "whoever told me that was mistaken", doooh....
    this can be annoying but its only for three months and only if you spent 160 euro
    mayhem# wrote:
    The lack of full Internet & mail access. What is the point in having a 3G network when you can only access the moronic content that 3 makes available? Also I want to be able to accedd my existing mail accounts. I do not expect Blackberry like convenience but the current email offering is pathetic
    you knew that (or should have known anyway) before you joined. it'll be coming out eventually and in the meantime i like the stuff they offer. also, they allow access to msn messenger and hotmail now apparently
    mayhem# wrote:
    The stupid "repetitive SMS syndrome"; why does every text message that I sent to a foreign number arrive there 5-10 times. Surely someone knows how to fix this?
    remember when meteor first started out? give them a bit of time to fix the technical problems
    mayhem# wrote:
    The fact that it's not possible to MMS messages to foreign numbers. Do I realy need to explain how rediculous this is?
    see above
    mayhem# wrote:
    9 out of 10 times that someone tries to call me from a phone outside of Ireland they get a message stating that "their call cannot be connected" following by a disconnect. No voicemail or nothing. 3 support says they have never heard of this happening and blames it on my handset...
    see above
    mayhem# wrote:
    Ever so often when trying to connect a call (inbound or outbound) the call is connected but neither person on each side of the conenction can hear each other. The only solution so far has been to hard reboot the handset.
    never happened to me. try this: instead of turning the phone off, press the power button once and select offline mode. then go back into online mode. this will refresh your connection to the network without having to turn the handset off. i'm assuming you have a 6680. i don't know if this option is on all the phones.

doing it will probably narrow it down to a problem with the network or the phone too

3 has a few technical issues but i still think they're the best network by a good bit

mayhem# wrote:
    3 support says they have never heard of this happening and blames it on my handset...

So... ask them to replace it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Blaster99 wrote:
    So... ask them to replace it?

I was actually going to suggest that myself, if their saying its the handset then its only fair they replace it...since its covered under your agreement with them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

[this can be annoying but its only for three months and only if you spent 160 euro

I've been with 3 since August and they locked my account this month (March) because I spent €170 while roaming abroad. When I rang them to sort it out, I was told that I could pay some or all of the balance with a credit card over the phone, but THEN I'd have to cancel the direct debit because otherwise the amount would still be taken @ the end of the month. This seemed ridiculous to me, that after 7/8 months their attitude was that there's no allowances to go even €10 over the spend limit.

Anyway I rang back again because I didn't trust the guy I spoke to first -- this second guy said I could pay some/all of the balance and use my phone straight away and the direct debit wouldn't be affected. He ignored me anytime I said that someone else in the call centre stated categorically that the direct debit would still try and take the money even after it was cleared.

So that was all fine -- paid the bill, my handset was working again (I'm on the 500 texts price plan so when they froze my account, I couldn't ring anyone, very frustrating). My bill arrived last Monday, just as I was heading to the airport to move to London -- it was €200+, and nowhere was mentioned that I paid on my credit card.

I rang them at the w/e because the debit was due to be taken on the 27th. I was told that because the bill was formed before I paid, that the payment wasn't on it. He swore that the money will be deducted on my next bill and that I should just let the direct debit take the €200 for March.

I really don't feel good about it, but I'm not going to touch my 3 handset until I'm back in Ireland for Easter -- I've changed my price plan to 200mins, so at least I can use 100 of them from the UK, but texts not being included in the 'free' roaming is annoying.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of situation with them? I've never had a single problem with network reception or billing until now, but frankly the customer service has been shoddy. I was told several different things, and never once did anyone mention a 3 month period for the €160 cap -- and since I'm well outside that period, clearly they still cap accounts regardless of how long you've been with them.

I felt that after being with them for 7 months, and always having the money ready for the DD, they really had no reason not to even allow me a €20 extension for the month, just so's I could actually call people if I needed to -- I mean I didn't want to spend loads more on top of my roaming charges!

The only thing about 3 that I like is that they're cheaper -- the selection of handsets in Ireland currently sucks, and I'm sick to death of my V975. Honestly I'd have been still fine with them if I hadn't gone away and used my phone while roaming BUT it's ridiculous to have the worry of getting your account locked at a fairly low amount (when roaming that is, €1.75 a min+ quickly adds up to €160). I'd never get close to spending €160 in my average monthly spend, but I'm really cheesed off at 3 after this.

One thing's for sure -- when I get my next bill it had better be correct, and include my payment on my credit card or else....

To be honest I ran into this problem as well, back in Jan/Feb I rang up a bill of 140e ands my phone suddenly stopped working.
    no more connecting to 3G, sending txt's or calls but I was able to call 333 so I phoned them in relation to this issue.

Turned out yes their is a limit and since nmy billing date was only a few days away i was told more or less the same thing as yourself TCamen, if I paid it all they'd still bill me all of it...so I paid 10e with my credit card in order to get my phone up and going again.....I was only billed 130e on my bill when I got it.

Very annoying when it happened as I thought their network had gone to crap as I was traveling up from Cork at the time so I thought it was just the area I was in, would have been nice to get a txt informing me of the cut-off.

I don't see it as a big issue for myself as I don't spend more then 50e now but its still annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

I'd have to agree with many of the negative sentiments regarding the 3 service. I bought a Nokia of them end of January, it died yesterday while i was sending a text. Will not power on. Rang three and was told i could get a refurbished nokia handset. No new replacement available as they are no longer selling the Nokias.

Doesn't sound right to me. I wonder if i have any recourse. Ideal situation would be to get a refund and go back to 02.

That's crap - ring them again.

You are entitled to a repair or replacement under the warranty.

Jam Man wrote:
    That's crap - ring them again.

You are entitled to a repair or replacement under the warranty.

Yeah but they can't replace a item they no longer have in stock, the problem here is they have no other Nokia phones so your stuck with the other ****e selection....best to read the T&C's covering replacement of phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

They Have now a "new" LG phone on the site now too.

Just what they need another s**t phone.

Man why can't they just get some good handsets!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

I'm think the v3x would be a suitable replacement. Its in the same price bracket. They are going to ring me back. Gave them the whole "consumer rights" speil

Advertisement