Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

i don't like the sounds of 1 hour for 2 euro :-).

I wonder will it work with opera, it looks as if they are still routing through their own browser to a list of default sites. Still, better than nothing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mobile sites pay as you go charges are showing as follows:
    Daily Free Trial (upto 1hour/2MB Usage)***

Upto 30min Access (max 0.5MB usage) 0.30euro

Upto 1hour access (max 2MB usage) 1e

Upto 1 Day access (max 4MB usage) 2e

Upto 1 week access (max 30MB usage) 10e

Your access will expire once your time or data usage limited has been exceeded, whichever comes first

***This option can only be used once a day.

Say what you want but thats good value compared to Vodafone with their data tarfiffs

This is really the iceing on the cake for Three, its the one little thing that annoyed me upto now....I always wanted to have the choice of being able to just check cinema listings and access gmail and now I can :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Daily Free Trial (upto 1hour/2MB Usage)

Does that mean we can use it for an hour or 2mb a day for free?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

litirspam wrote:

Does that mean we can use it for an hour or 2mb a day for free?

well 1hr or 2MB downloaded...whatever comes first,
    I see nothing to say its anything other then what it says :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Cabaal wrote:
    well 1hr or 2MB downloaded...whatever comes first,
    I see nothing to say its anything other then what it says :)

Well in my experience of large companies I see every reason to say it means something other than what it says. That is why I went to the bother of asking.

• Advertisement

litirspam wrote:
    Well in my experience of large companies I see every reason to say it means something other than what it says. That is why I went to the bother of asking.

Understandable alright, I might ring Three later myself to be 100% sure....by nice to find out what happens after the hour and stuff...suppose I'll know in 20min or so :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I was on to 3 earlier about a pay as you go service. They said that they reckon that there should be a service like that coming out soon. They said they were not too sure how soon, but soon. They will not know till the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I was on to 3 earlier about a pay as you go service. They said that they reckon that there should be a service like that coming out soon. They said they were not too sure how soon, but soon. They will not know till the last minute.
    thats kind of a stupid way of doing it. surely they have to train them first. or do they just tell us they only find out at the last minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's what is called "being fobbed off". Of course they'll know, but they won't be allowed tell most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

The free option can only be used once per day which probably means if you exit the browser you lose the privelage for remainder of that day (24hr period).
    If you stay in you can browse for up to one hour (in one go) or up to 2MB whichever hits first...

Check out this link for mobile friendly webpages:

http://www.pdaportal.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well it is certainly a step in the right direction. Hopefully they will get rid of that idea of time-limits on your surfing.

There is no point allowing the use of Opera until the launch there other service, the one that gives you access to the whole of the web.

For the moment being able to just browse the mobile web for half an hour is fine for me, but I would prefer that they charged you on the data downloaded and not by time.

quintron wrote:
    The free option can only be used once per day which probably means if you exit the browser you lose the privelage for remainder of that day (24hr period).
    If you stay in you can browse for up to one hour (in one go) or up to 2MB whichever hits first...

Check out this link for mobile friendly webpages:

http://www.pdaportal.com/
    nope you can exit the browser no problem. i did it yesterday. the time is controlled at 3's end, not on the phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

nope you can exit the browser no problem. i did it yesterday. the time is controlled at 3's end, not on the phone

So if I stay online and check my mail every 15 minutes I can do that the whole day for free if I do not reach the 2MB limit (which I hardly willl do just for checking emails)?

flodis79 wrote:
    So if I stay online and check my mail every 15 minutes I can do that the whole day for free if I do not reach the 2MB limit (which I hardly willl do just for checking emails)?

Well you can do that all day anyway with 3mail, but with the likes of gmail etc you'd have to subscribe to the option that gives you 1 whole day of usage for x amount of euro.....once your on that option you'd be fine..

The trail is 1hour or 2MB usage...whichever comes first, so unfortunatly you can't get a whole day for free

[EDIT] anyone having problems with the G-Mail Lite offering they have?
    For some reason I can login to everything else except gmail and its not even the proper gmail for mobile which is http://m.gmail.com

So what is the difference between option 1 and option 3??
    Does it mean that after one hour free, the next hour is
    1 euro, and after that you will automatically be subscribed
    to the 1 day access? So it can be maximum 3 euros
    per day?

flodis79 wrote:

So what is the difference between option 1 and option 3??
    Does it mean that after one hour free, the next hour is
    1 euro, and after that you will automatically be subscribed
    to the 1 day access? So it can be maximum 3 euros
    per day?

This really isn't that confusing,
    If you use the trail, when its over you looose access unless you subscribe to one of the other options...it doesn't automatically go onto a plan or anything you have to manually subscribe.

If you want a full day access its going to cost you 3e plain and simple
    ;)

Cabaal wrote:
    This really isn't that confusing,
    If you use the trail, when its over you looose access unless you subscribe to one of the other options...it doesn't automatically go onto a plan or anything you have to manually subscribe.

If you want a full day access its going to cost you 3e plain and simple
    ;)

what? 1 day costs €2. you can make it cost €3 by doing the hours access and then the day but that would be a bit silly

what? 1 day costs €2. you can make it cost €3 by doing the hours access and then the day but that would be a bit silly

doh slight typo their, with regards to 2e or 3e :)

Good to know you can exit browser. I tried it myself and you right c.vimes.

Good news indeed. However..
    It is a free "trial". Anyone guess on how long this trial lasts?

Also. Can someone tell me how to put in a web address?

It still looks like a "closed portal" to me from what I can see on the quick look I had last night.

They have chosen a broad range of mobily friendly links but there loads I don't see...and I can't put the address in myself..??

I tried to access pages with Opera last night and it wouldn't let me.
    Access denied.
    But it would show the websites they suggest.
    I was browsing through their external recommendations last night (RTE. Entertainment.ie etc) with Opera with no bother (Opera is faster btw- better caching etc - turn of images and its very nippy!).
    Until I can put in any address I want... its not net.
    Did I miss something simple? It looks like a glorified i-mode service but without the option to use googles proxy server to get what you want.

Help appreciated if I missed something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

It's a little unclear what you're asking for. Are you asking how you enter addresses in the browser or are you asking why some addresses are blocked? The former is browser/phone dependent, the latter is because 3 operates a white list. They will add entries to the white list if you ask them. Their proxy should prompt you for this option.

• Advertisement

I'm asking how to enter an address. I use 3's portal and Opera.
    The white list is not fully featured.
    I would like to add my own directly by manually typing the address for sites that I know are mobile friendly.
    I do not want to have to "suggest" sites to 3 in order to do so.

Is their a way of entering sites directly?

If not, its not open based internet, just an extended list of sites to visit and pay for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

in case you guys dont know yet
    the free trial lasts for 3 months
    it said it on www.three.ie go to company information up at the top then go to media centre

Great addition.

But it wont let me onto gmail :(
    connection refused at this time...

Anyone else getting in there?
    I presume its letting you in with your normal email address and password?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Ya its all a bit iffy but better than nothing .
    Edit Question answered on previous page

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

1huge1 wrote:
    in case you guys dont know yet
    the free trial lasts for 3 months
    it said it on www.three.ie go to company information up at the top then go to media centre
    It says in one of the other articles that they will be launching MSN Messenger on the handsets. does anyone know how thats going to work or how it will be charged.

ya they will have it before the summer is over
    it will come pre-installed on new phones but if you have already bought your phone you have to download it (they will probably give it to you for free)all received msgs will be free but they will probably charge a tiny amount for sent msgs like 1c or 2c per msg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

quintron wrote:
    I'm asking how to enter an address. I use 3's portal and Opera.
    The white list is not fully featured.
    I would like to add my own directly by manually typing the address for sites that I know are mobile friendly.
    I do not want to have to "suggest" sites to 3 in order to do so.

Is their a way of entering sites directly?

If not, its not open based internet, just an extended list of sites to visit and pay for.

Exactly. Can anyone answer this - i.e can you enter webmail based sites? If you have a pda phone like the I-Mates with pocket internet explorer can you access whatever you want? I'd move to Three if this was the case, can't stand I-Mode with O2 and never knowing what you owe them until after the event. Also, will this website viewing option apply to their Pay as u go whenever that arrives?

1huge1 wrote:
    ya they will have it before the summer is over
    it will come pre-installed on new phones but if you have already bought your phone you have to download it (they will probably give it to you for free)all received msgs will be free but they will probably charge a tiny amount for sent msgs like 1c or 2c per msg

Well, I wouldnt call 1c or 3c a tiny cost PER MESSAGE... It quickly adds up to large amounts if used frequently... Better to charge per MB. GPRS is hugely overpriced in Ireland, when you can get a MB for 2-3 euros in other countries, here we have to pay 9 euros (o2) or even more with some networks.

its 7.50 a meg on o2 not including data add-ons

• Advertisement

flodis79 wrote:
    Well, I wouldnt call 1c or 3c a tiny cost PER MESSAGE... It quickly adds up to large amounts if used frequently... Better to charge per MB. GPRS is hugely overpriced in Ireland, when you can get a MB for 2-3 euros in other countries, here we have to pay 9 euros (o2) or even more with some networks.
    well to be fair i said they wouldprobably charge this, I don't have a clue what they will do and now that I think about it your idea makes much more sense

Advertisement