Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

quintron wrote:
    Just got off the phone with a 3pay rep...

TEXTS
    The 3c texts applies to all networks and, according to the 3 representative, this will continue after the August Promotion.
    Looks like 3pay will mainly interest texters.

VIDEO CALLS
    Its 60c to video call vodafone numbers.
    From 18.08.06 its 18c to video call 3 numbers. Until then its 3c.

BROWSER
    Accessing 3's browser is free but the rep stated that there would be charges for downloading certain services though he couldn't state what services they were. I asked as clearly as I could but he dodged the question. Looks like 3pay customers will pay more for present free content or have limited access to free content. He stated, more than once, that contract phones are very different to 3pay phones in that, by paying a monthly contract fee, you are privliged to certain free services which cannot apply to 3pay customers, as they haven't signed a contract....

OTHER NETWORKS incl UK
    Its 35c to call all other networks. This includes calling the UK although I pointed out this is not implied at present on the site.

FLAT RATE
    There is no Peak/Off Peak Pre-Pay plan in place or no plans to implement one at this time.
    There is as yet no €5 top up denomination planned.

35c to other mobiles is too expensive imho.

The introductory rate to call other 3 mobiles for 3c is good value but how many people in your phone book right now are three customers, so you can avail of this offer? My guess is not many.

Bottom line you will pay 35c per minute for most of your calls, as, for the next while at least, the vast majority of numbers in peoples phonebook will be predominantly o2, vodafone or meteor.

PRESENT "Pay as you go" PRICES
    They should have launched at a lower price point seeing as they are a new service Even 30c per minute makes more sense imho.
    Vodafone is 65/30c peak/off peak to other networks.
    o2 is 63/19c peak/off peak to other networks.
    Meteor is 40c/13c peak/off peak to other networks or 20c on the Anytime plan.

No great savings here.
    Thanks for this thorough report! What about buying on a 3pay SIM without a phone, is it possible?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

quintron wrote:
    Just got off the phone with a 3pay rep...

TEXTS
    The 3c texts applies to all networks and, according to the 3 representative, this will continue after the August Promotion.
    Looks like 3pay will mainly interest texters.

If they keep txt's at 3c after August and for good they'll attract alot of students due to the better spec phones their selling compared to Meteor or O2 imho

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9687298
    Three launched its bill-pay package in July last year and is now aiming to poach customers from the pre-paid sector, which accounts for 76 percent of the Irish mobile market.

Communications Minister Noel Dempsey welcomed Three's pre-pay venture, saying that it increased competition for Irish consumers. "The new simple, straightforward tariff offered by Three pre-pay will be easy to understand and is a model which could be followed by all other mobile phone operators," he said.

Dempsey was referring to the EUR0.03 voice and video call charges offered to 3Pay customers for the first three months. This charge rises to EUR0.18 after the initial honeymoon period ends.

"The measure of our success will be based on the number of people who cannot live without Three," UK and Ireland chief executive Bob Fuller told reporters at the Dublin launch, while highlighting an impressive selection of video, music, news and sport downloads.

Three previously announced it will provide football downloads for all 64 World Cup matches, and Three Ireland's managing director, Robert Finnegan, said he was "always in negotiations with all bodies" concerning GAA clips.

Possibly in a bid to shake up the market, Fuller and Finnegan made several references to their main Irish competitor, Vodafone. They claimed Vodafone views 3G as an "adjunct" to its main voice call business.

A vodafone spokeswoman denied Fuller's charge, saying that Vodafone already has a pre-pay customer base and offers a range of 3G services, including the new 3G Mobile Connect card embedded in Dell and Lenovo computers. "You have to remember that many customers only want voice and text services," she said. At the time of publication Vodafone was busy working out a response to Three's new tariffs.

"We are a true multimedia company, not a telco," said Fuller, who stressed the importance of being part of the Hutchison Whampoa Group, which holds 3G licences in ten countries, covering 11.5 million customers. Finnegan said that, along with Vodafone, all mobile operators were competitors, including O2, which is expected to launch 3G soon.

An industry source close to Vodafone Ireland said the mobile operator had mixed feelings regarding Three's new offering. It views Three both as a customer and a competitor because outside urban areas, Three utilises Vodafone's network. "Three is certainly catching up with where Vodafone is, but is still ten months behind. Today's launch is their second offering, so they're behind the pack," he told ENN.

Three also launched a range of 3G handsets below EUR100 and will supply up to EUR80 free credit over six months to all new customers. A full range of 3Pay handsets from Motorola, NEC, LG, Sony Ericsson, and Motorola are priced between EUR69 and EUR379.

Fuller said Three would shake up the music market too, with an undisclosed Irish DJ set to host a new mobile music show. Three customers in Britain downloaded 1 million music clips last month, while in Sweden Three outsells downloads from global leader Apple iTunes.

In fairness on less they improve their per min charges, vodafone and O2 have nothing to worry about :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

flodis79 wrote:
    Thanks for this thorough report! What about buying on a 3pay SIM without a phone, is it possible?

Thats what I wanted to know , I have a Nokia 6680 and need a SIM only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Both O2 and Vodafone have pre-pay packages that have varied rates depending on the day or time of day, so it's a bit difficult to compare. I have no idea how pre-pay users do things, but I make calls all day long and don't particularly fancy being charged 55c per minute for some of them. It looks like O2 is sometimes marginally cheaper and Vodafone is never cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Their website is far from clear on prices for 3 pay.
    Where is the page on International call rates for 3 pay? The main page does not even give a price for text messages to other networks (It seems to be 9c).

A simple comparison with Meteor Anytime Plus shows
    Calls to Any network 20c ---> 35c with 3
    Text Message (ROI) 9c / Free to meteor --> 9c / 3c own network with 3
    Voicemail FREE --> Free with 3
    Meteor - Landline 20c --> 35c with 3
    Roaming in up to 120 countries with Meteor --> No roaming with 3

There is no way I am losing free texts for life with Meteor to switch to these rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I thought Anytime Plus only has free texts until 2008?

The old free text for life tariff didn't give you free voicemail (not that I use it anyway :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thirdfox wrote:
    I thought Anytime Plus only has free texts until 2008?

Some customers on Anytime Plus have free texts for life. It depends on when you signed up. I can't see the 2008 offer finishing in 2008 anyway.
    Thirdfox wrote:
    The old free text for life tariff didn't give you free voicemail (not that I use it anyway :p )

I have free texts for life and free voicemail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Didn't want to start a new thread and dont fancy thrawling through all these pages, but could anyone tell me how much credit you get with the phones for €70/80 and if you can keep your old number if you switch please? Oh and if someone could tell me if three is DEFINITELY the best value for pay as you go now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Look on the last page cormie... someone did a comparison. As for credit etc .. no clue.

And yes, of course you can port your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

cormie wrote:
    Didn't want to start a new thread and dont fancy thrawling through all these pages, but could anyone tell me how much credit you get with the phones for €70/80 and if you can keep your old number if you switch please? Oh and if someone could tell me if three is DEFINITELY the best value for pay as you go now?

According to three.ie:

* €10 credit included with your new mobile, which you can use for voice, text, video or any of our Planet3 services (this initial credit has a 60-day expiry period).
    * €10 credit if you bring your existing mobile number with you to 3.
    * Up to €60 extra credit (if you top-up by a minimum of €10 every 30 days from activation, we’ll give you €10 extra credit each month for 6 months)*

* €10 credit included with mobile (60-day expiry period applies). €10 credited if you bring your existing mobile number to 3 and up to €60 extra credit if you top-up by a minimum of €10 every 30 days from activation (€10 extra credit each month for first 6 months). €10 credit will be credited into your account to use on 3 services shortly after each 30 day period. Terms apply.

As for the "best value" - that's all relative. Check out callcosts.ie, key in the details and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Cabaal wrote:
    If they keep txt's at 3c after August and for good they'll attract alot of students due to the better spec phones their selling compared to Meteor or O2 imho

Well what the rep said (3c texts after the promo period) and what the site states (9c texts after promo period) are two different things.. I quoted him but his thoughts are not reflected in the site... just a heads up. The reps probably/usually don't know as much as they pretend to declare. A common trait.

In this early stage of the game...I wouldn't trust the site info or the rep info as gospel. Its a "flux" period for them.

I was amazed at how badly the site info was rolled out - mis-info, mis-types etc. If you know something is coming and its your job to furnish the info on the web live on a certain date you should have it tested to **** at local level before sending the pages live. Its a small thing..but small things are always indicitive of larger issues.. in this instance...slight chaos.. Shouldn't happen at that level in fairness.

I'm a generally happy 3 bill pay customer but its the little things that piss me off. 3 has an opportunity to come fresh into the market (and 10-11 months in operation is fresh!) and really grab attention and customers and still make a healthy profit.

Problem is large corporations use tried and tested methods proven in other areas geographically etc and this formulaic approach often miss two things... Each market is different..distinct.

Ireland is a lot more phone savvy than I think phone companies give credit for..Three stepped into an arena created and driven by o2 and vodafone. They made us a mobile nation.

Its a small market and thus easy to saturate so new ideas/angles/offers have to be constantly created and promoted to keep a close knit community wanting-desiring new phones and convergence models etc and secondly, convergence - phones are slowly replacing mp3 players, cameras etc as we ALWAYS have our phone on us...Our Keys and Our Phone..period.

With the introduction of 3G services in this country the bar was raised and we now have downloadable content at our fingertips. Whats needed is a company prepared to take a gamble and offer these services and more for realistic prices to everyone and that company should be Three.

Ireland imho, is a far better test market for new phone technology due to our being a small nation thats addicted to our mobiles! We would make a perfect control group instead of waiting for seconds or leftovers from UK testing etc.

For example, a few years ago Sony-Ericsson didn't bother with the Irish Market. They felt we were inconsequential on the world stage..until some bright spark in M/PR figured out the above and suddenly Sony sat up! THey may not sell a **** load of phones here but they can easily monitor this market and saturate it and use that for future geographic/demographic models.
    Three are already gambling, joining a tightly faught contest between the existing networks whose "triple monopoly" as casued them to rest easy in a way. Between them they have the country covered. Job done. The odd promo to make sure you feel your phone is unworthy....keep up with the jones's etc we have a disposable Bic phone community..a fashion item that helps us communicate and they create this desire in us to upgrade, pay top dollar prices etc. THe margins are quite high here. They have to be. The margins on texts are crazy from what I've read. I know there are other mitigating factors such as phone companies handset prices to retailers etc but a network has power to bring these prices down.
    A company could still clearly make a profit with cheaper prices by the increase in customer volume. A simple offset and one that 3 should endevour to create with this brand new opportunity in the 3pay service.
    That would certainly create interesting & much needed competition withn the Irish networks which has not happened as yet and probably won't if everyone is greedy or safe or just not willing to gamble. 3pay on first glance doesn't look like a value package...on reflection its not too bad..but first impressions are paramount.

Rant ends... Apologies (if your still here) for the length of this post...I was thinking with my fingers..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

BuffyBot wrote:
    Check out callcosts.ie, key in the details and see

Cool, never knew about that site. It's suggesting 3 for my usage.

Do 3 offer free webtexts? That's a big selling point for me;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Can a 3G SIM work in a 2G phone or vice versa? Just wondering...

Also, I'm wondering if all 3 credit expires (besides the initial €10), ie. if I top up by €10, will I have 60 days to use it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cormie wrote:
    Cool, never knew about that site. It's suggesting 3 for my usage.

Do 3 offer free webtexts? That's a big selling point for me;)
    nope, not yet anyway
    byrnefm wrote:
    Can a 3G SIM work in a 2G phone
    nope. a vodafone 3g sim will work in a normal phone but a 3 sim won't
    byrnefm wrote:
    or vice versa?
    yep, as long as its unlocked
    byrnefm wrote:
    Also, I'm wondering if all 3 credit expires (besides the initial €10), ie. if I top up by €10, will I have 60 days to use it?
    dunno tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Optixplex:

Is it possible to buy a 3pay sim-only pack?

flodis79 wrote:
    Optixplex:

Is it possible to buy a 3pay sim-only pack?

Just called 3 and you cant buy a SIM only. Only way to get a 3 ThreePay SIM is to buy the cheapest phone currently the V975 for €69 and then put it into your unlocked 3g handset.

Very high cost to call NI or UK 35c to make and recieve calls!!!!

Anyone who works in CPW or 3G who can help me ???? If I buy the V975 just to get the SIM and then put it into my locked 3 contract phone will it work ??? can anyone test this for me ????

Dellas wrote:
    Anyone who works in CPW or 3G who can help me ???? If I buy the V975 just to get the SIM and then put it into my locked 3 contract phone will it work ??? can anyone test this for me ????
    no reason that wouldn't work. i haven't tried it but i'd be very surprised if it didn't.

why would you want to do that though? firstly, the v975 is an attrocious phone so i hope you don't plan to use it for anything. is it that you want to get rid of the contract? in that case id recommend waiting til the contract runs out and getting the phone unlocked. if they tell you they can't give you the code, they're lying

meteor is still far better for payg

boo-urns to 3pay i say

BuffyBot wrote:
    I just bought an E1000 to play around with - see how it goes.

So I've ordered this phone yesterday, and got no email confirmation..

I checked the status of the phone this morning, and it says "out of stock".

I call the number given, and the guy has no clue what I'm on about and says they only deal with deliveries. He transfers me to 3 Customer Services.

3 Customer Services give me a verbal shrug and say to wait and see that if it was out of stock, it wouldn't have shown up on the website, and if it doesn't arrive to "call back tomorrow".

Can't say I'm particularily impressed so far. No one seems to know what's going on with my order, or where it is :D

• Advertisement

I need a 3 Pay SIM so I was going to buy the V975 and then just keep the SIM and then give phone to a mate . I know how to unlock the V975 on 3 so its not a problem. I will then use the SIM for my Nokia 6680

Dellas wrote:
    I need a 3 Pay SIM so I was going to buy the V975 and then just keep the SIM and then give phone to a mate . I know how to unlock the V975 on 3 so its not a problem. I will then use the SIM for my Nokia 6680

Sounds like a plan, let us know how you get on :)

Yeah well im ordering now so will have it Friday they say !! Will see if it works and let you know. If it does and anyone wants help to make the phone network free they can email me privately. It worked last time !!!

quintron wrote:

Rant ends... Apologies (if your still here) for the length of this post...I was thinking with my fingers..

Hey Quintron good piece I enjoyed reading it , you should be head of 3 !!!

What id still like to know about ThreePay:::

HOW MUCH A CALL WHILST ROAMING IN THE UK COSTS

HOW MUCH IS A TEXT TO THE UK

HOW MUCH IS A VIDEO CALL TO THE UK

WHAT CONTENT IS FREE ON THREE PAY AND WHAT IS NOT

DOES MY CREDIT ROLL OVER AND IF NOT HOW LONG IS IT VALID FOR

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

My gf changed to three yesterday and it says that she doesn't need to register that when she made a chargeable call it would automatically register. She made a call and nothing happened. Anyone know if you need to register on their site?

3 Customer Services give me a verbal shrug and say to wait and see that if it was out of stock, it wouldn't have shown up on the website, and if it doesn't arrive to "call back tomorrow".

So, I called back again. Phone is still showing as "out of stock" on the order tracking facility on their website. Told that the website is "new" and "probably faulty" :D

So now I've been told to wait until the end of today as well...and call back tomorrow if it doesn't arrive.

It's not looking good for 3 so far. Both calls routed to their Indian call centres - I haven't had the pleasure of Scotland as of yet

BuffyBot wrote:
    It's not looking good for 3 so far. Both calls routed to their Indian call centres - I haven't had the pleasure of Scotland as of yet

Very strange, seems they might have moved their operation from their call center in Glasgow...oh welll :(

Cabaal wrote:
    Very strange, seems they might have moved their operation from their call center in Glasgow...oh welll :(
    god damn it

• Advertisement

Yep you get Scotland if you call the order line 1800 number, but for customer services patch up on your Punjabi !!!!:D

I spoke to a really nice guy and very helpful yesterday when I ordered my V975 and went on to track it last night and it says approved and charged so heres hoping I get it tomorrow!!!! By the way the guy was called Ryan if anyone else is calling to order.

Advertisement