Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Just called 3 the top ups have no expiry which is very good. Best to buy the €40 top up and get €48

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

Fungus wrote:
    Their website is far from clear on prices for 3 pay.
    Where is the page on International call rates for 3 pay? The main page does not even give a price for text messages to other networks (It seems to be 9c).

A simple comparison with Meteor Anytime Plus shows
    Calls to Any network 20c ---> 35c with 3
    Text Message (ROI) 9c / Free to meteor --> 9c / 3c own network with 3
    Voicemail FREE --> Free with 3
    Meteor - Landline 20c --> 35c with 3
    Roaming in up to 120 countries with Meteor --> No roaming with 3

There is no way I am losing free texts for life with Meteor to switch to these rates.

3 mistakes. Assuming that three.ie and meteor.ie are reliable...

Text Message...
    Meteor: 9c --> 3: 3c (to all ROI networks)
    Calls to landlines...
    Meteor: 20c --> 3: 18c (not 35c)
    Roaming...
    Meteor: 129 countries rates ranging from 99c (UK) to €3.59 (Australia) --> 3: UK & NI roaming for 35c

And I hated Meteor's 2.5G ancient phones. About a year ago I went into Meteor to get my moto v300 fixed TWICE and broke down again on both occasions. Not much point in having cheap rates if they can't fix your phone.

And I make most of my calls during peak hours so 3Pay would suit me fine (Voda: 50c/65c, O2: 55c/63c, 3Pay: 18c/35c) but I'm stuck on €25/month contract till July!

And I've never been put through to India?

3Ireland Skypecast...
    https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/skypecast/detailed.html?id_talk=2890

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

BuffyBot wrote:
    So, I called back again. Phone is still showing as "out of stock" on the order tracking facility on their website. Told that the website is "new" and "probably faulty" :D

So now I've been told to wait until the end of today as well...and call back tomorrow if it doesn't arrive.

It's not looking good for 3 so far. Both calls routed to their Indian call centres - I haven't had the pleasure of Scotland as of yet
    really? ive called them like 50 times since i got my phone 6 months ago and always got scotland never india and once i might of got dublin (someone said they had a call centre in dublin very small but it was prob just a irish guy in scotland)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

3 mistakes. Assuming that three.ie and meteor.ie are reliable...

Text Message...
    Meteor: 9c --> 3: 3c (to all ROI networks)
    Calls to landlines...
    Meteor: 20c --> 3: 18c (not 35c)
    Roaming...
    Meteor: 129 countries rates ranging from 99c (UK) to €3.59 (Australia) --> 3: UK & NI roaming for 35c

And I hated Meteor's 2.5G ancient phones. About a year ago I went into Meteor to get my moto v300 fixed TWICE and broke down again on both occasions. Not much point in having cheap rates if they can't fix your phone.

And I make most of my calls during peak hours so 3Pay would suit me fine (Voda: 50c/65c, O2: 55c/63c, 3Pay: 18c/35c) but I'm stuck on €25/month contract till July!

And I've never been put through to India?

3Ireland Skypecast...
    * 3 cent applies to 3-to3 RoI calls & texts only. Promotional rate until 18.08.06. Price thereafter is 18c for voice & video minutes and 9c for texts to R0I mobiles.

1huge1 wrote:
    really? ive called them like 50 times since i got my phone 6 months ago and always got scotland never india and once i might of got dublin (someone said they had a call centre in dublin very small but it was prob just a irish guy in scotland)

I got through to India twice yesterday they must have recently switched it over !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Finally, an email arrives to say my phone is on the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

i bought one the other day and the 3c texts are to all irish networks!!

do i need to register to get the free credit??? it said i just had to make an activation call!?!?

oh and i never got a pin code??? whats up with that??

I got mine today and have it on charge now. Then I can test my theory to see if the Threepay SIM I got works in my Nokia 6680 contract phone.

I think the phones dont come with a PIN you have to go into security settings and choose one yourself but remember it !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Dellas wrote:

I think the phones dont come with a PIN you have to go into security settings and choose one yourself but remember it !!!!

When you try to turn on pin code request it asks for the current pin code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

andrewie wrote:
    When you try to turn on pin code request it asks for the current pin code.

try 0000

• Advertisement

I tried to put a threepay SIM in my contract locked 6680 and it works no probs so I guess its only network locked which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

anyone know if u have to register or not???? it only says to make an activation call?? done that still no sign of the credit!!!

call 083 3333333 and register or 333 from handset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

rang, i am now registered... but i tried to ask when u get the registration credit and she said i had it?? i think she thought i was talking about the 10e u get in the phone!! she couldnt speak much english!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

Blaster99 wrote:
    Both O2 and Vodafone have pre-pay packages that have varied rates depending on the day or time of day, so it's a bit difficult to compare. I have no idea how pre-pay users do things, but I make calls all day long and don't particularly fancy being charged 55c per minute for some of them. It looks like O2 is sometimes marginally cheaper and Vodafone is never cheaper.

Ordered a Bill Pay and PrePay Nokia 6280 and what a fantastic little 3G phone this is. The camera is brilliant (only lacks auto-focus) but what I was most impressed with is the screen. It's huge compared with most phones and the colours on it are bright and vibrant. Excellent for looking at photos on it.

One clever tip when using video dialing, press the call button for more than 1 sec and it will automatically video dial. Press it for less than half a second and it voice dials. Brilliant! No need for dedicated video call button!

A Skypecast for 3 Ireland starts in about 8 mins. Join in!

how did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Im looking to join three ireland but i havent been able to get any solid opinion on what they're really like. I really want to join because they seem quite cheap and they have some really good phones, and of course the whole 3g is a bonus.

Can someone who is possibly a three customer please tell me what they're really like in terms of coverage (not just 3g coverage), cost, service, reliability etc. Im looking at getting the nokia 6280 on the video text 500 price plan.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I've just got the 6280 on the €25 tariff. Three haven't called me yet to port my number over yet so I haven't been using the phone properly. There's a good review of it in another thread.

The 3G coverage seems to be good wherever I've taken the phone (although this has been limited to Dublin city centre and Rathfarnham!).

• Advertisement

They are a good domestic company. If you never use your phone abroad or send texts to people abroad then you will be fine. I say this because their romaing charges are one of if not the most expensive in Ireland except for the UK or NI where it is free to roam as long as its not for more than 50% of your monthly calls. They have very good coverage and when out of 3 coverage you use Vodafones at no extra charge. So you will always have coverage on 2.5 if not 3G.

Downloads,news,weather,sport very good . So if your only going to use them in Ireland then go for it !!!!

One thing I will say is that if you buy direct from 3 you will get a 2 year gurantee on your handset incase battery fails or any other problem so buy direct!!! 1800 330 333 they take Laser also if you havnt got a credit card which I found good. They are quick to replace faulty batteries or handsets so they get my praise for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

I've been on 3 since the start of the year and got a 3pay phone for my sister last week.

Very happy with the size of my bills since I moved (main reason) and all the Premiership highlights on a Saturday for free kinda help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

rang, i am now registered... but i tried to ask when u get the registration credit and she said i had it?? i think she thought i was talking about the 10e u get in the phone!! she couldnt speak much english!!!

There is no registration credit..... well sort of.

I bought one for my sister in a 3G store and they told me there's €10 credit on the phone and you get another €10 if you port your number.

Then there's €10 every month for 6 months as long as you've got a top up that month.

Rang three and they said the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Jam Man wrote:
    There is no registration credit..... well sort of.

I bought one for my sister in a 3G store and they told me there's €10 credit on the phone and you get another €10 if you port your number.

Then there's €10 every month for 6 months as long as you've got a top up that month.

Rang three and they said the same.
    Correct:

For a new sign up you get €70 in 6 months in total as long as you top up by a tenner at any point each month (if you dont topup in that month you loose the tenner)

For a port you get €80 in 6 months in total and same applies for the topups for the first 6 months

The topup thing sucks a bit tbh.

Info:
    http://www.three.ie/ireland/ishop/80extracredit.omp

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Thanks. My main worry is really about regular coverage for making calls, sending texts etc. Would i be right in saying that they use one of the other phone companies ariels? And if so does this mean they have the same coverage as whatever phone companies ariels they are using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

well if you have a weak three signal where you live or use your phone most it will be a problem. see my previous posts about this problem..

three seem to be more restrictive on what phone you can use your sim in,..

3 sims only work in the three handset that they were supplied in, and no other one. seems strange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

nick23 wrote:
    Thanks. My main worry is really about regular coverage for making calls, sending texts etc. Would i be right in saying that they use one of the other phone companies ariels? And if so does this mean they have the same coverage as whatever phone companies ariels they are using?

Yes and no. 3 has its own network (albeit built and managed by BT Ireland) that covers something like 85% of the population. It is in my experience quite extensive and surely the largest 3G network in the country. They have an agreement with Vodafone where outside of Dublin, if the phone cannot get a 3 signal then the phone will pick up Vodafone 2G instead.

As EIN points out, this fallback to Vodafone does not happen unless you have no signal at all so you can end up in a situation where the 3 signal is low and you're stuck with it. You will get crackly phone calls.

If you do most your calling/texting in reasonably urban areas, then 3 will be just fine and in some cases even better than the other networks. If consistent signal strength wherever you are is important to you, then 3 is not for you. 3 is also not for you if you want to use your phone outside of the British Isles. Unlike when Meteor started off, you will never end up in a situation where you have no signal at all (so long as there's Voda coverage of course, but that's as close to 100% as is possible).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

EIN wrote:
    well if you have a weak three signal where you live or use your phone most it will be a problem. see my previous posts about this problem..

three seem to be more restrictive on what phone you can use your sim in,..

3 sims only work in the three handset that they were supplied in, and no other one. seems strange...

this is not correct. their sims work in any 3g handset, be it a 3 contract, 3pay or unlocked.

this is not correct. their sims work in any 3g handset, be it a 3 contract, 3pay or unlocked.
    didnt know that thats good
    anyway you should really go to 3 there great they give most of there 3G stuff for free like loads of comedy sketches and sports and the news or whatever while vodafone charges you for everythingand in my experience there 3G is very good which is more than i can say for vodafones

• Advertisement

didnt know that thats good
    anyway you should really go to 3 there great they give most of there 3G stuff for free like loads of comedy sketches and sports and the news or whatever while vodafone charges you for everythingand in my experience there 3G is very good which is more than i can say for vodafones

Advertisement