Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i bought a phone last week on 3pay and the coverage is great im in kells mainly and no problems at all the whole way from dublin to here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

I bought a 6280 on 3pay last week and I have to say im impressed......
    Having used Vodafone 3G aswell as the other 2G networks,Three are head and shoulders above the rest for 3g coverage/Video Call quality/Voice Call quality.

It took a while longer than expected to port my number but now account has been setup and credited and all is running smoothly.Loving all the free 3g stuff aswell as the 3cent text rate.

Someo people on here mentiond the fact that they have an indian call centre.This is only for 3pay customers and if you want to speak to their UK call centre simply press 1 instead of 2 on the customer care main menu.

The 6280 is a quality phone also even if it is a little pricey.(I was charged 299euro instead of the 279euro price quoted only when I bought in store)

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Thanks very much everyone for all your help!

Ordered my 6280 today on bill pay. Hopefully ill get it soon!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Megamerge :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

What are the topup methods for 3pay? On O2 you can register your credit card with your account and use that, do Three have something similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

there will be an online topup service in the works. It is up and running in other countries, just not here yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

Our local Spar and Centra both have a '3' top up here poster :D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

1huge1 wrote:
    how did it go?

Skypecasts are a total waste of time. Don't bother with them. A load of foreign people joined in and started laughing hysterically, so I ended it.

I see 3 launched the World Cup service. It's just a carbon copy of the 3UK content. Really, the only Irish content on Planet 3 is the Sports headlines, RTE News (notice that the sound is out of sync?) and the pictures and text stuff from the News & Weather section.

And when is the MSN service launching?! It's already available on 3 Australia...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

places that sell 3 top ups are popping up everywere fair play to them i was expecting they were going to start with the cities and work there way out over a couple months

what does everyone think of the latest advertising campaign

you know the one with the chinese ppl and a guy leaves a girl on a bus and theres a pink (bad description)
    its weird but good
    and they also have a good one on the radio to

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

And when is the MSN service launching?! It's already available on 3 Australia...

Hmm they also have yahoo as well as MSN
    MSN details are http://www.three.com.au/index.cfm?section=Personal%20Home&pid=3177&pageid=3187&sid=3198

$5 for 30 days is decent imho and I'd properly go for it if they offer it around the same price over here (5e obviously)

I've just been looking at the UK Three website and I've been comparing call charges for 3Pay, it would appear that we're actually gettinng a decent enough deal compared to our UK Friends
    UK Voice Prices - http://www.three.co.uk/priceplans/serviceprices/index.omp?ratecardid=1130245535238&catid=1130245535260&menuID=9

Ireland Voice Prices - http://www.three.ie/ireland/iexplore/ihowmuch/ipriceplans/payasyougo.omp
    Could be alot worse I guess, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

I think its swings and roundabouts to be honest. In the UK the phones are only 9.99 which is 15 Euros for a C975 or LTE clam shell. You just have to buy a 30 pound top up with it . Our phones are more expensive and our calls are slightly cheaper (well til August anyway) . Its just a way of marketing the same service.

It would be cool if the 3c calls and texts were kept for good!!! 3 would get loads of customers then. A few of my mates are all getting Threepay phones so that it will be cheaper to call and text eachother. If you get families or friends switching together then 3 will do well and there are great savings to be made.

I just wish they would reduce their international calls and get more roaming agreements. If they brought the costs to the same as VF passport they would clean up. With all the Eastern Europeans here if they had a great rate to Poland/Latvia/Lithuania then they would get loads switching. At the moment the majority of Eastern Europeans are with Meteor.

Top up locations are very good looking at the lists. Theres at least 4 near me and hopefully they will introduce the service that they have in the UK where you can top up from your handset using a Credit or Debit card Via MY 3.

Does anyone know if there is a top up facility at Dublin Airport???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

places that sell 3 top ups are popping up everywere fair play to them i was expecting they were going to start with the cities and work there way out over a couple months

All the ground work for that had been prepared in advance. It was only a matter of them enabling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

any hint or sign of them ever putting up a webtext facility on the site? O2 and Vodafone have one. dunno, but im sure Meteor do too.

i use to be with O2, then changed over to Three last october. Ever since, i have still been able to send webtext from O2 but they feicin upgraded their site and want everyone to re-register. i can't :(

help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Someone a page or two ago said they are working on them..whether that is true or not is anyones guess.

They don't offer it elsewhere, so whether they go out and provide it for the Irish market will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Táck: Meteor has them too - 30 for PAYG (definitely) and 300 for Pay monthly (I think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

but i want them on 3, not meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I know, but I was just pointing out that yes, Meteor have webtexts too. That would support any proposition that 3 should have them too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Thirdfox wrote:
    I know, but I was just pointing out that yes, Meteor have webtexts too. That would support any proposition that 3 should have them too.

I'm not holding out much hope, three.co.uk don't have webtxt's....the only thing that might mean we'll get web txt's is the fact that Ireland seems to be bigger into webtxt's then the UK is.....one example is o2.co.uk offers under 50 txt's per month on-line but o2.ie offers 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

this is not correct. their sims work in any 3g
    handset, be it a 3 contract, 3pay or unlocked.

3 have told me that their sims are USIMS and will only work in 3 branded handsets.

i tried my 3 sim in the following phones (all unlocked [phones)

3510 didnt work got sim rejected msg
    5140 didnt work got sim rejected msg
    6020 worked fine registered on the network and could make calls.

i am looking at buying a retail phone , sim free , like a n80 or n70 on expansys.ie or phonesonline.ie and popping my 3 sim into it. three have told me that my service would be suspended if i did so, and they said it wouldnt work..

has anyone tried their 3 sim on an unlocked 3g fone? did it work?

EIN wrote:
    3 have told me that their sims are USIMS and will only work in 3 branded handsets.

I could be wrong but I believe as previously stated, you need to use a three sim in a 3G phone...it'll work once their unlocked and 3G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

EIN wrote:

i am looking at buying a retail phone , sim free , like a n80 or n70 on expansys.ie or phonesonline.ie and popping my 3 sim into it. three have told me that my service would be suspended if i did so, and they said it wouldnt work..

has anyone tried their 3 sim on an unlocked 3g fone? did it work?

i have used my 3 sim in an unlocked phone but it was a 3 uk phone so i wouldn't be sure about sim free non-3 branded ones. i've seen a 3 sim working in a 6230 (a t-mobile branded) and that couldn't use the web (obviously)

you'll be able to call and text on any 3g phone but i doubt you'll be able to use the web on a non-3 branded one. that's not just a 3g problem though. it can be a bitch to get gprs working on a phone if the network doesn't support it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

It seems the 3pay thread has been merged with this thread, so I post here.

Regarding 3pay:

1) Are there any restrictions as to email usage within the 3 mailbox you get?
    2) Can you choose number in carphonewarehous, 3g or wherever you choose to buy the phone, or will they assign you a number?
    3) Can I choose number when buying a 3pay handset online?
    4) Roughly, how many news stories are posted every day in the "national news" and "international news"? Is it 2-3 or more 10-15? I'm just curious as to how much news there are available there?
    5) How often is the MTV content updated?
    6) If you were to choose between the cheapest 3g handsets, €69 or €79, which would you choose? Which one is best value for money?

Thanks alot in advance!!

flodis79 wrote:
    It seems the 3pay thread has been merged with this thread, so I post here.

Regarding 3pay:

1) Are there any restrictions as to email usage within the 3 mailbox you get?

NOT SURE

2) Can you choose number in carphonewarehous, 3g or wherever you choose
    to buy the phone, or will they assign you a number?

I THINK IF YOU GET A DECENT PERSON IN THE CPW THEN YES YOU CAN CHOOSE FROM A FEW AS THEY ARE SEPERATE FROM THE BOX.

3) Can I choose number when buying a 3pay handset online?

NO I GOT MINE FROM 3 ONLINE AND YOU JUST GET WHATS THE NEXT ONE IN LINE

4) Roughly, how many news stories are posted every day in the "national news" and "international news"? Is it 2-3 or more 10-15? I'm just curious as to how much news there are available there?

ITS UPDATED EVERY 3 TO 5 HOURS AND HAS AROUND 7 TO 10 STORIES ITS VERY GOOD.

5) How often is the MTV content updated?

USUALLY DAILY BUT SOMETIMES EVERY OTHER DAY

6) If you were to choose between the cheapest 3g handsets, €69 or €79, which would you choose? Which one is best value for money?

V975 AS I GOT ONE THE OTHERDAY AND ITS A COOL PHONE FOR 69 EURO

Thanks alot in advance!!

WELCOME

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

Another point to note is that they don't have sms agreements with any uk networks except T-Mobile and 3uk as I found out much to my disappointment last night.Ah well no network is perfect.

To the guy who was asking about which of the cheap 3pay phones to pick,id recommend the LG one for 79euro.
    Otherwise I assume they assign you a number and news is updated 3-4 times daily.

Conor S wrote:
    Another point to note is that they don't have sms agreements with any uk networks except T-Mobile and 3uk as I found out much to my disappointment last night.Ah well no network is perfect.

REPLY _______________________________________________________________

Yeah thats always been the case and they said they would have it fixed ages ago !!! Its a pain.. as I said in previous threads they are a good domestic company but rubbish for anything outside of the Republic of Ireland.

To the guy who was asking about which of the cheap 3pay phones to pick,id recommend the LG one for 79euro.
    Otherwise I assume they assign you a number and news is updated 3-4 times daily.

Make sure the LG has a removable memory card like the Motorola V975 as you need at least 64mb to hold the sport clips,music etc....

Say you buy the Motorola V975 for Eur 69 off the 3 website. You get Eur 10 credit with it then if you port your number you get another Eur 10, then if you top up Eur 10 every month for 6 months you get another Eur 10 ( Applied at Eur 10 each month)

I have to admit its a good deal, your getting paid for joining 3 !!! The handset is free!!!! Id say it will be a good Christmas box for kids and mates etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

Anyone know how to get rid of the start up '3' welcome graphic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Dellas thanks for your input. re email, basically what i was wondering is if you will get a mailbox even if you're not bill pay. you get a mailbox with 3pay rite? is this push email? will the mail client work in the background and push out new emails in real time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Just wondering do any of the phones on 3pay have the option to turn off 3G network search. ATM ,I don't live in 3G coverage. And which phnes other than the Nokia's are good?

• Advertisement

nick23 wrote:
    Anyone know how to get rid of the start up '3' welcome graphic?

I think you can , maybe go into settings and eitherscreensavers or wallpapers or even personalise. I remember doing it last year but cant remember exactly how.

Advertisement