Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

This post has been deleted.
    Just go to http://store.3ireland.ie/prepay instead.
    1huge1 wrote:
    anyone else feel people are starting to notice 3 a lot more
    All my friends know about 3, but they wouldn't dare join them because they're either on Vodafone 3G or they simply don't care about mobile video services (I'd say most of the country think the same tbh).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

[/QUOTE]
    All my friends know about 3, but they wouldn't dare join them because they're either on Vodafone 3G or they simply don't care about mobile video services (I'd say most of the country think the same tbh).[/QUOTE]
    that will change over time
    3 are the ones who have to pull out everything so people will join them because they entered a country with 100% penetration so for them to get customers they have to do some big things which they have done already
    such as all that world cup videos etc for free
    the vast majority of planet 3 being free
    but it still isnt enough really
    there also really cheap but they dont seem to advertise there prices enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

3 are trying to do the same thing as Vodafone, namely trying to get people to choose their "brand image" rather than their specific prices/products.
    O2 and Meteor sell prices and products.

Both approaches have their value and tend to work on different parts of the market.

It will be interesting to see how long 3 stick to that approach

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

3 need to offer a decent EU roaming agreement and a service like VF Passport as so many Irish travel abroad to Spain,Canaries etc....

Im just back from Amsterdam and my mate has 3 Threepay and he couldnt connect to any network. Its a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

I've been with 3 about a month now , and well I'm tempted to run back to meteor.I dont like the whole 444 thing to get your credit balance and no text thing like the *#100# on meteor...
    I have the LG U8138 and its an ok phone but has starting freezing a lot and when the flip is closed its like the phone is off, oh and mine opens right back as far as the aerial... does anyone elses do this?? the first time it done it it wouldnt work for hours.
    Oh and when I call another 3 customer theres like a 2 sec delay... where you cant hear each other, very annoying...only i begged the bf to join cause of the 3c thing i'd be back with meteor.
    Apart from to 3 customers they are quite expensive... wonder what they'll be like when the promotion ends... i have a feeling ill be back with meteor then lol

• Advertisement

I've been with 3 about a month now , and well I'm tempted to run back to meteor.I dont like the whole 444 thing to get your credit balance and no text thing like the *#100# on meteor...
    I have the LG U8138 and its an ok phone but has starting freezing a lot and when the flip is closed its like the phone is off, oh and mine opens right back as far as the aerial... does anyone elses do this?? the first time it done it it wouldnt work for hours ...Apart from to 3 customers they are quite expensive... wonder what they'll be like when the promotion ends... i have a feeling ill be back with meteor then lol

They'll be introducing the My3 thing soon (supposedly), which gives you full information about your account from the Planet 3 portal.

I used to have the U8138. I agree, it's a terrible phone. The U8360 is much better (and it doesn't bend back completely so the aerial stabs the back of the screen!)

After the promotion ends (on 18/08/06), calls to 3 are 18c (on Meteor that's 20c), to landlines are 18c (Meteor = 20c), to other networks are 35c (Meteor = 20c) and texts are 9c (same on Meteor).

If you call other networks a lot, as I said earlier, just use airtalk and it's 25c (rather than 35c).

18c to landlines or other 3 customers is not bad !!!

Dellas wrote:
    18c to landlines or other 3 customers is not bad !!!
    according to callcosts.ie
    3 has the cheapest bill pay and 2nd cheapest pay as you go after meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Mr-X

make all calls 18c loose the closed garden internet and give at least 300 free web texts and ill sign up...

Mr-X wrote:
    make all calls 18c loose the closed garden internet and give at least 300 free web texts and ill sign up...

The 18c calls may come and the walled garden may ease but they will NEVER have webtexts!!! Its not a 3 product , its been discussed many times before.

• Advertisement

Mr-X wrote:
    loose the closed garden internet
    They're giving you 2MB free access every day to over 400 mobile sites (RTE, entertainment.ie, Yahoo Mobile, MSN Mobile, Amazon, met.ie, mobilegear.biz, nokia.mobi, to name a few) - what else could you want? Restricited web doesn't bother me at all, and I think webtexts are a waste of time. (Am I the only one with this opinion?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

"What else could you want?"
    Full access. That's one reason I'm not with 3. That, their lack of webtexts and online account management.

Edit: Oh, and their phones (or rather their restrictions around them and their SIMs) of course :D

ciaranfo wrote:
    "What else could you want?" Full access. That's one reason I'm not with 3.

Well what would you be browsing that they don't already offer?

My own website... other websites that they don't offer ...

People like the freedom of choice, I like the freedom of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Well what would you be browsing that they don't already offer?
    well, the net tbh. sometimes i really have the urge to check the latest news from outer mongolia

well i wouldnt mind getting msn messenger and i do miss webtexts but that still isnt slightly enough for me to get rid of 3 and go back to vodafone
    3 are still offering the best service
    anyone what a programme 3 are showing for free called 'the hive' its presented by tom dunne i found it fair good

@1huge1
    I thought msn was on of the features 3 offered?

1huge1 wrote:
    anyone what a programme 3 are showing for free called 'the hive' its presented by tom dunne i found it fair good
    It's very good, though it would be better if they updated it more.
    ciaranfo wrote:
    I thought msn was on of the features 3 offered?
    Well, you can use MSN on your phone if you go to www.mobile.msn.com from your phone, but you have to keep refreshing the page to see if the other person has replied.

although i did read about 2 months ago that they would soon be offering msn emssenger pre installed on phones and when they do that they will have a much beter web based version for the people who already owned one of their phones (theres a reason to get a new phone of 3)
    although i have no idea when they are launching this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

After the promotion ends (on 18/08/06), calls to 3 are 18c (on Meteor that's 20c), to landlines are 18c (Meteor = 20c), to other networks are 35c (Meteor = 20c) and texts are 9c (same on Meteor).

Don't forget that if you are an off-peak user that doesnt make mobile calls Mon to Fri during the day (and thats a lot of people) Meteor charges only 13cent to ANY network. That makes 3 out of the question for off-peak users.

I think webtexts are a waste of time.

Not to people such as the ones I referred to above - sending texts during the day for free from work and saving a lot of money. Why would they use their mobile phone in this situation.

• Advertisement

3 was meant for people who want freedom. If you're happy with being ripped-off during the day (Vodafone Social life: 50c/65c, O2: 55c/53c, Meteor Leisure Time Plus: 40c) that's fine, but according to this, not that many people are:

"Peak rate charges (paying more for calls during the day) topped the list of features consumers found most frustrating about their mobile service providers."
    Why would they use their mobile phone in this situation
    When 3 launch the MSN service (if they do what they did in Australia) you can send unlimited IMs (rather than 300 texts) for a fixed charge per 30 days. And I thought the whole point of having a mobile was to be able to communicate on the move, rather than sending messages from a computer.

3 was meant for people who want freedom.

Do you work for 3?! Or does it say that on their website somewhere! If people want freedom why isin't 3 offering them a choice between peak and off peak plans? Then they would be FREE to choose what suited them best.
    ..according to http://www.three.ie/ireland/icompany/mediaview.omp?cid=1120208891543 , not that many people are:

"Peak rate charges (paying more for calls during the day) topped the list of features consumers found most frustrating about their mobile service providers."

Quoting a comment/survey from 3 shows a perfectly balanced viewpoint! Actually, clicking on your username and looking for "more posts by MayoExplosion" you seem to be quite keen on 3. In fact you don't post about anything else. Ever.

Besides if 3 commissioned that survey and found out that peak rate charges are the biggest gripe - why on earth are they charging 35 cent a minute to other networks when Meteor only charges 20 cent?

Regardless - you are missing the point quoting Meteor's peak rates for the off peak plan - if peak calls are important then you wouldn't be on the off peak plan in the first place.
    When 3 launch the MSN service (if they do what they did in Australia) you can send unlimited IMs (rather than 300 texts) for a fixed charge per 30 days. And I thought the whole point of having a mobile was to be able to communicate on the move, rather than sending messages from a computer.

Pointless arguement (in my opinion). Everyone texts. They don't all have MSN. Fine when the whole world abandons text and joins MSN.

You really don't see the point people are making about webtexts do you? It's not that they WANT to send messages from a computer rather than a mobile on the move. It's that when they're NOT on the move they can send them for free. Free. Not for a cost.

I'm with O2 by the way on an off peak package. Meteor would probably be a tad cheaper but they create problems for roaming abroad - pre-registering etc.

you seem to be quite keen on 3. In fact you don't post about anything else. Ever.
    Charming. I'll shut up then. Goodbye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Charming. I'll shut up then. Goodbye.
    he does have a point. only one or two of your posts aren't about 3

he does have a point. only one or two of your posts aren't about 3

And suddenly in the last hour or so 4 new non related to 3 posts!

And suddenly in the last hour or so 4 new non related to 3 posts!

xfiles.jpg

:) ok i'll stop with the conspiracy theory!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

They're giving you 2MB free access every day to over 400 mobile sites (RTE, entertainment.ie, Yahoo Mobile, MSN Mobile, Amazon, met.ie, mobilegear.biz, nokia.mobi, to name a few) - what else could you want? Restricited web doesn't bother me at all, and I think webtexts are a waste of time. (Am I the only one with this opinion?)

2mb to use in a one-hour session... How could you have time to use up all that in an hour.... You will just panic when trying to read as much as possible in that time.. Or have they changed the terms and allowed the free 2mb to be used over a longer period of time?

Is it free to call 444 and get the credit with 3pay?
    And MSN is available on 3 if you go to http://www.mobile.msn.com from your phone. Still no Java application though.

I went to that page - after that, where do I click to sign in?

One last question: has anyone bought the NEC338 in xtravision for €59 recently? I have tried in some stores and it was all out of stock there.

ya when i try to sign in to msn it just links me back to the msn homepage
    hope 3 bring out a proper msn messenger service would be cool
    imagine if you could do a video call through msn messenger like seeing the other person on webcam ya know

• Advertisement

Don't forget that if you are an off-peak user that doesnt make mobile calls Mon to Fri during the day (and thats a lot of people) Meteor charges only 13cent to ANY network. That makes 3 out of the question for off-peak users.

Not to people such as the ones I referred to above - sending texts during the day for free from work and saving a lot of money. Why would they use their mobile phone in this situation.

I find webtexts ok if Im abroad and cant send texts anyother way but when Im at work I have access to broadband 24/7 and to be honest I cant be bothered to use them . Last month I only used 8 of my 300!!! Id rather have 300 free texts instead .....now theres an idea!!!!

Advertisement