Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

It is quite good and gives all the basic info about the company. I use wiki for info sources often and find it good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hayzeus

I know this is an awful thing to ask but I'm at the end of my teither.

How on earth do I find my 3pay account balance? 1741 doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hayzeus wrote:
    I know this is an awful thing to ask but I'm at the end of my teither.

How on earth do I find my 3pay account balance? 1741 doesn't work.

Dial 444

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

quintron wrote:
    Their online upgrade prices are a joke.
    I was quoted €279 & €259 over the phone for the N80 a couple of weeks ago on two seperate phone conversations.
    I go to the above upgrade link online... key in password ...and its now €329!! This phone has come down in price since its release yet its apparently going up for me..
    What gives?!. Little things like that really piss me off.

Its very basic, if someone calls you over the phone (on any of the network) and offers you an upgrade over the phone it will probably be better value than what is being offered online or elsewhere. If they've called you they're chasing your custom, online and instore in Ireland seems to be targeted at satisfied (stupid) customers..... as opposed to in the UK where online phone retailers are causing carnage on the highstreets with the deals they offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

has extravision stopped their deal with 3 because i just seen a xtravision ad and it was for meteor
    or are they doing both networks its just because i was in xtravision a while back and they only had 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Well it seems like 3 have now increased the number of countries that 3Pay customers can roam in.
    http://www.three.ie/ireland/iexplore/icoverage/intIndex.omp?cid=ThreePay
    It's not too bad really. It's better than Vodafone's Ready to Go roaming. (with 3 you can roam in Cyprus, Tunisia and Turkey). I would really wish they had roaming coverage in Austria (they have a sister network there and all). If they had roaming and text support for Austria and Canada I would be even more thrilled (don't worry, I've badgered them lots about this).

edit: Added a bit of a comparison to Vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

The Xtravision I went into at the weekend had both

Meteor had a free copy of Ice Age
    3 had a free copy of Da-Vinci Code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pretizzio

This is driving me insane...:mad: :mad: :mad:

I have 2 handsets:
    1. a v3x bought from 3 with a Sim card (3pay - grand)
    2. a v3 that i use in the north (unbranded and unlocked)

I want to be able to use my 3 sim in either of these phones when I'm in the republic (for reasons i won't go into).
    3 helpline (helpline??? what a joke) have told me that I can't use my 3 sim in any other phone other than a locked 3 handset! I offered to register my other handset (the V3) with them but nooooooooo.... not good enough.

Has anyone else heard this nonsense before and has anyone any suggestions about what I can do about it?

cheers
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

pretizzio wrote:
    This is driving me insane...:mad: :mad: :mad:

I have 2 handsets:
    1. a v3x bought from 3 with a Sim card (3pay - grand)
    2. a v3 that i use in the north (unbranded and unlocked)

I want to be able to use my 3 sim in either of these phones when I'm in the republic (for reasons i won't go into).
    3 helpline (helpline??? what a joke) have told me that I can't use my 3 sim in any other phone other than a locked 3 handset! I offered to register my other handset (the V3) with them but nooooooooo.... not good enough.

Has anyone else heard this nonsense before and has anyone any suggestions about what I can do about it?

cheers
    J
    it neither has to be locked nor a 3 handset. but it has to be a 3g phone so it won't work in the v3. i've seen one or two non 3g phones that worked with 3 sims but most just reject the sim. if you put your 3 sim into the v3 and it rejects the sim you're out of luck i'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Yeah it'd have to be an unlocked v3x (or other 3g handset) as 3 make most of their big profits off 3g services so they restrict 3sims to be only used in 3g handsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Technically a 3 sim could be used in a non-3G handset because it would connect to Vodafone, but 3 restrict it to make sure people can only use it in 3G handsets so it will use 3's network since they are billed for using Vodafone.. its just business. Now, one of Nokia's service centre guys have told me that 3's SIMS use a higher voltage and that by trying to use it in a non-3G nokia you will destroy the NCU or something like that. Personally I dont believe them. But 3 SIMS are incompatible with non-3G handsets, I couldnt even use one of those SIM copiers to copy my contacts onto it from my O2 card.

Technically a 3 sim could be used in a non-3G handset because it would connect to Vodafone, but 3 restrict it to make sure people can only use it in 3G handsets so it will use 3's network since they are billed for using Vodafone.. its just business. Now, one of Nokia's service centre guys have told me that 3's SIMS use a higher voltage and that by trying to use it in a non-3G nokia you will destroy the NCU or something like that. Personally I dont believe them. But 3 SIMS are incompatible with non-3G handsets, I couldnt even use one of those SIM copiers to copy my contacts onto it from my O2 card.
    that's not true. i've put non-3g sim in 3 phones and 3g sims in non 3g phones. i once saw a 3 sim working in a 6230 but it was an english t-mobile handset. since t-mobile is a 3g network in england i think they changed the phones software not to reject the sim

joerules wrote:
    Well it seems like 3 have now increased the number of countries that 3Pay customers can roam in.
    http://www.three.ie/ireland/iexplore/icoverage/intIndex.omp?cid=ThreePay
    It's not too bad really. It's better than Vodafone's Ready to Go roaming. (with 3 you can roam in Cyprus, Tunisia and Turkey). I would really wish they had roaming coverage in Austria (they have a sister network there and all). If they had roaming and text support for Austria and Canada I would be even more thrilled (don't worry, I've badgered them lots about this).

edit: Added a bit of a comparison to Vodafone

Are you on drugs or something!!!! Vodafone is far superior when it comes to roaming. As someone that travels alot on business and leisure I know that VF are the best. 3 are a disaster when it comes to roaming. I have 1st hand experience believe me. When 3 do have roaming agreements they are with 3rd rate companies that have crap coverage. VF passport is great and by far the best deal on the pre paid market. 2nd is O2 who have a decent roaming too but they are not a cheap as VF.

I dont call €1.19 a minute good !!! O2 is €0.59c a minute and VF passport connection is €0.79c then the same as if your at home.

Dellas wrote:
    Are you on drugs or something!!!! Vodafone is far superior when it comes to roaming.

My post was comparing it to roaming on a prepay account, not a bill-pay (where 3's roaming is poor, putting it nicely). But when it comes to roaming on prepay I think they have the better service. They have more roaming countries compared to vodafone. http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/international/prepaid/passport/where.jsp. If you think about the prepay demographic, 3 have all the holiday destinations of young people (so Vodafone's coverage in the Netherlands and belgium is a mute point). Also texts are much much cheaper (how often do you see young people make calls compared to texts). 35c compared to vodafone's 49c. The 14c difference does add up. As for call costs, well that can be a tough one. For long calls Vodafone is better, however for short calls there could be times when 3 are cheaper (a min or less) due to Vodafone's "connection charge".

id be faily happy with the roaming bar the fact that my msgs keep sending over and over again (though that was a few months ago and they might have it fixed)
    oh and when i was in lanzarote i kept losing the network every now and then which resulted in me having to turn the handset off and on again and again...

joerules wrote:
    My post was comparing it to roaming on a prepay account, not a bill-pay (where 3's roaming is poor, putting it nicely). But when it comes to roaming on prepay I think they have the better service. They have more roaming countries compared to vodafone. http://www.vodafone.ie/roaming/international/prepaid/passport/where.jsp. If you think about the prepay demographic, 3 have all the holiday destinations of young people (so Vodafone's coverage in the Netherlands and belgium is a mute point). Also texts are much much cheaper (how often do you see young people make calls compared to texts). 35c compared to vodafone's 49c. The 14c difference does add up. As for call costs, well that can be a tough one. For long calls Vodafone is better, however for short calls there could be times when 3 are cheaper (a min or less) due to Vodafone's "connection charge".

Sorry mate ive just looked at both websites and I presume you were getting your 3 prices from http://www.three.ie/BlobServer.srv?blobdir=ROIImportantDoc&blobfile=ROI+price+guide+sept06.pdf

Correct me if im wrong and then post the link .

99c to receive a call whilst in Spain ??? You think thats better service!!! You are right on text messages but did you ever read the threads on here where people got 100 plus texts when it was only sent once and people back home were getting really peed off and having to turn their phones off!!! It happened to me in Norway,Spain and Greece so I know what im talking about. As for countries that Irish young people go to well the top destinations this year were Cyprus(Ayia Napa)/Crete (Hersonissos)/ Gran Canaria (Playa Del Ingles)/ Majorca ( Santa Ponsa) and Costa Del sol and these are all covered by VF passport with a one off connection fee and then you pay the same as if you were in Ireland. So I have to say I dont see where you got your figures from with 3 !!!

I still cant send texts from 3 to certain mates abroad in the EU as 3 still dont have texting agreements with alot of EU countries.

I have always said they are a great domestic network but for roaming they are the worst!!!

hey,

Well it's a connection charge of 79c connection charge then the same price as if you were in Ireland so 99c could concievably be cheaper. But I did say that if you made a long call then vodafone would be cheaper. No disagreement there.

As for texts, I'm quite sure that problem did occur but problems do get fixed. Are you saying that because 100 texts were sent per 1 text then that will continue forever. They might just fix that problem. When they do (if it continues people should really complain) then 35c is cheaper than 49c. You can't change that. (if they do then competition really can happen in Ireland)

As for the fact of sending texts to other countries, I agree with you there but I never mentioned that any of my responses. All I was saying is that in many many cases (which are texting works properly (no multiple texts) and on prepay) then Vodafone is more expensive than 3 and it's roaming countries are less.

edit: And I really do hope they do totally revamp their international section. Roaming in lots more countries (Japan and Canada, please please please) and texting to foreign networks (Canada,Austria and Japan). Just because my posts tend to be positive towards 3 doesn't mean I'm a fanatic. I have contacted them many many times about their international support. I hope others do too!!

as someone who's been roaming with 3 twice i can assure you vodafone is better. i brought a vodafone phone with me too because i knew it would be more reliable and it was

as someone who's been roaming with 3 twice i can assure you vodafone is better. i brought a vodafone phone with me too because i knew it would be more reliable and it was

Yeah I totally agree with you commander. I would never give up my VF prepay phone its brilliant for roaming and very reliable. I will keep my 3 phone but only for use in Ireland on 5c texts and to look at planet three, I will never use to roam again.

Just one thing and this is really strange , I finished my 3 pay monthly contract and they sent me out a 3 Pay SIM . Only problem is i cant make or receive calls on it and the help desk says they cant see the SIM registered. Anyway I can get Planet Three but I have no credit on it. Theres something wrong as Im getting all downloads of ring tones and videos that cost between Eur 2 - Eur 5 for free!!! I dont know whats wrong with it but I have a great video and ring tone collection now :D:D

Dellas wrote:

Just one thing and this is really strange , I finished my 3 pay monthly contract and they sent me out a 3 Pay SIM . Only problem is i cant make or receive calls on it and the help desk says they cant see the SIM registered.
    i got a 3pay sim that worked for a while. did you leave it for a few weeks before using it? i think you have to top up very soon after getting it or they unregister it

• Advertisement

I got it yesterday and put in the phone right away !!! Weird !!! But I will enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jimbo007

Did someone say that three's call centres are in Glasgow?
    This today on RTE.ie:

27 October 2006 07:24
    Police in Glasgow have revealed that many call centres, there, have been infiltrated by criminal gangs.

Strathclyde Police estimate that one in ten call centres in Scotland's largest city are being used by organised crime to launder money by stealing customer information and identities.

Those who represent the call centre industry insist that security is their top priority and say they are working with police to improve the safety of their systems.

jimbo007 wrote:
    Did someone say that three's call centres are in Glasgow?
    This today on RTE.ie:

27 October 2006 07:24
    Police in Glasgow have revealed that many call centres, there, have been infiltrated by criminal gangs.

Strathclyde Police estimate that one in ten call centres in Scotland's largest city are being used by organised crime to launder money by stealing customer information and identities.

Those who represent the call centre industry insist that security is their top priority and say they are working with police to improve the safety of their systems.

I didnt know they had this problem in Glasgow!!! 3 do have a call center in Glasgow and India. I read an article in a newspaper about Indian call center workers being paid by gangs in India to steal personal account details and in return they got paid the equiv. of a months salary so alot of them were tempted to do it as they are so poor. I dont know which companies were involved though but its very alarming !!!!

can someone explain to me that mai advertisment on the site http://www.3ireland.ie/ireland/index.omp how is it that it says 4.5c txts and 10c calls
    yes im getting charged 9c when i go outside my bundle
    the customer care girl said it was only for new customers

what the hell is up with that like i should get bloody free texts with all ive been put through but instead its people who never had to put up with anything get cheaper rates

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

1huge1 wrote:
    can someone explain to me that mai advertisment on the site http://www.3ireland.ie/ireland/index.omp how is it that it says 4.5c txts and 10c calls
    yes im getting charged 9c when i go outside my bundle
    the customer care girl said it was only for new customers

Its all their on their site...

* Offers apply to new and approved customers only.
    Pay Monthly Offer
    Rates shown are based on inclusive monthly allowance for calls/texts on the following plans; 4.5c per message on VideoText 1000; 10c per minute calls on VideoTalk 1000. Inclusive calls and texts are calls/texts from ROI to other ROI mobiles and landlines, excluding premium numbers. Minimum term contract, service limitations and terms apply.

oh didnt see that my bad thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Three look like they'll be opening their Waterford store pretty soon, three_store.jpg

Its just near the City Square, right beside the Vodafone store :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'm with vodafone 3G now but I'm changing to ....well anything will do!
    Vodafones service is great, but they charge through the roof for it so I'm
    looking into 3 Ireland.

Has anybody here used the 3Pay (3's version of pay as you go) service?
    Whats it like coverage wise? Is it worth changing from vodafone? The prices
    are good in fairness with 5cent texts and 35 cent calls to other networks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

ya seen those....they're miles long!

You couldn't give me a brief summery? :)

Advertisement