Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭joerules

Music tracks are now 99c. That's much better than the 2euro they used to charge. I wonder if it's a limited time offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

thats a fair drop in price but all i can say is its about time
    might put pressure on vodafone to do the same (there €2 right?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So visited the Three store in Waterford today, have to say I'm impressed with it compared to other phone shops, not only do they have the normal mockups of every phone they have but they also have working models beside them that you can play around with.

Plenty of space in the store and seats and there must have been atleast 20+ phones at different places (including as part of the seats) that you could play around with.

Didn't question them on the issue of unlocking Nokia phones, may do that next time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

joerules wrote:
    Music tracks are now 99c. That's much better than the 2euro they used to charge. I wonder if it's a limited time offer.

Saw that this morning, I'd say its for good as there's nothing to suggest its a offer on their walled garden or their website.

Perhaps there looking to be serious about music downloads in Ireland now?

As of Sunday I'm changing to 3Pay as I've had enough of billpay, for amount of txt messages v calls and the 5c cost per message 3pay works out better for me.

Think they need to offer more competitive packages on billpay

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Whether 99c is overpriced or not, it's all rather useless if it won't even play on an iPod. Can ye at least burn it to a regular audio CD, or is that limited too?

you can put them on 1 computer and burn them to a cd like 8 times (also that same 8 is for mp3 player well they work on my iriver)

BAD NEWS

Three Ireland has announced the launch of its online music store, which will offer half a million music tracks for download to PC or mobile. The mobile operator has an introductory offer charging EUR0.99 for music tracks and full-length videos for the first three months of the service

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9844250.html

3 months come on for god sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

1huge1 wrote:
    you can put them on 1 computer and burn them to a cd like 8 times (also that same 8 is for mp3 player well they work on my iriver)

BAD NEWS

Three Ireland has announced the launch of its online music store, which will offer half a million music tracks for download to PC or mobile. The mobile operator has an introductory offer charging EUR0.99 for music tracks and full-length videos for the first three months of the service

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9844250.html

3 months come on for god sake

They said a three month trial for the free limited 'internet' access also... how long ago has that been and it's still free!!!

They said a three month trial for the free limited 'internet' access also... how long ago has that been and it's still free!!!

This is true, was supposed to end in August I believe,

They'll shoot themselfs in the foot if they bring it back upto 2e tbh

As for 8 times to CD, jesus thats strict DRM.
    Songs bought off of iTunes can be placed on 4 computers, burned as many times as you want and copied to as many iPods as you want.

Microsoft DRM is not the way to go, Sureplay my arse!
    :rolleyes:

well that was last april but it was only 8 times
    i guess its possible the've increased it but highly unlikely

and ya i guess they wont put it back up to €2 there not that stupid

just reas that they opened their 2nd store today, its in waterford something like 500k expenditure for it every year

but if i remember reading right on enn the cork one was 5million (or is that right)
    but ya have to admit patrick street is definetely top 3 shopping streets in the country

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I'm thinking of signing up to 3 and have a few questions about bill pay.

Do 3 have a function for bill customers, either online or by dialing a number, to see how many minutes/texts have been used and/or remaining that month?

Can bill customers carry unused minutes/texts over to the following month?

Does it look like 3 will offer free webtext anytime soon?

Take the videotalk and text 200 package for example
    100 anytime, any network voice minutes, 100 text messages & loads of cool video content included at no extra cost.

Do these anytime minutes include calls to landlines, or is it restricted to mobiles? In other words do they charge to call landlines, rather than deduct minutes from the package?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Nephew wrote:
    Do 3 have a function for bill customers, either online or by dialing a number, to see how many minutes/texts have been used and/or remaining that month?

I don't have a bundles that includes text, but if you dial 333 you can find out how many minutes are left. They probably do the same for the text bundles.
    Nephew wrote:
    Can bill customers carry unused minutes/texts over to the following month?

No.
    Nephew wrote:
    Does it look like 3 will offer free webtext anytime soon?

No idea. If it's available in the UK, it will probably make it here also.
    Nephew wrote:
    Do these anytime minutes include calls to landlines, or is it restricted to mobiles? In other words do they charge to call landlines, rather than deduct minutes from the package?

Irish & UK landlines and mobiles. You can only use half your included minutes on UK calls, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Cabaal wrote:
    This is true, was supposed to end in August I believe,

They'll shoot themselfs in the foot if they bring it back upto 2e tbh

As for 8 times to CD, jesus thats strict DRM.
    Songs bought off of iTunes can be placed on 4 computers, burned as many times as you want and copied to as many iPods as you want.

Microsoft DRM is not the way to go, Sureplay my arse!
    :rolleyes:

hahah god damn it why do you have to pay...well i hope they keep it as free there is quite a few good stuff on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Blaster99 wrote:

No idea. If it's available in the UK, it will probably make it here also.

Webtexts have never been a big thing in the UK and 3 will never offer it there or here. It has been discussed on here many times and even emails from 3 indicate it will not be a service that they will offer.

Dellas wrote:
    Webtexts have never been a big thing in the UK and 3 will never offer it there or here. It has been discussed on here many times and even emails from 3 indicate it will not be a service that they will offer.

Your right about that, both orange and O2's webtext offerings in the UK is a joke or atleast last time I looked at it,

O2 here offering 250 and O2 in UK offering something like 25, while I wish they would add it I doubt Three will offer webtxt;'s
    :(

just for yer man a few comments up
    when you call 333 for minutes and you have a txts bundle aswell they also say how many txts you have left

yes but why would 3 be differnet when it comes to webtext
    do they not do market research as well as the other 3 or something (well ya i guess they dont but thats my opinion)

Just downloaded a song of my mobile (99c offer still going)

but what i didnt know is that they are now in 3gp format if you download it on your phone (was around 749kb)
    was rather annoyed really quiality wasnt brilliant by any standards
    probably saving money for them though

but i went on my computer to download the song and it came out in wma so i cant complain to much

to bad the DRM is still too strict

I was browsing the music download site earlier today and was trying to find anything about the DRM, but nothing that I could see. So you can play the track on your mobile and on one PC, type of thing? Is this Microsoft DRM by any chance, so you can play the track on MP3 players that support it, or no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Personally I think 3 should just partner with Apple. For every song/video you download to your phone, you get a token to download the same one from iTunes for your PC. At least that is far less restricted. Basically your choice is Microsoft DRM (plays on any Windows box, selected MP3 players) Apple iTunes (plays on any PC or Mac, iPod). There is no option for one, single, plays-on-all DRM with the same or less restrictions then what Apple have. One 3 rep told me that they had no intention of raising the price above 99c, but I am not holding my breath, still it makes sence to keep it as it is now.

^^ well i think it says on their music site that the offer ends after the 31st of january 2007 but they said that for the 1hour free internet a day too a few months back and that offer is still going (but 1 hour of useless sites aint great ya know...)

on the computer their WMA and can only be on one computer and can be burned to a cd 5 times and a mp3 player 5 times (but it can be converted to mp3 for your ipod it says on the site)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Link to X-series now on homepage of the Irish site. Must be coming soon!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

That link is on every 3 site so far and just links to the general X-series website. If you go to three.co.uk you will see they have a "local" link to the the X-series service they are offering, along with the X-Series add-on price and the Slingbox bundle. That will soon appear on the 3 ireland site as X-Series is to launch in January. The N73 was due to be launched on the 15th December last year, but they delayed it because of sofware problems with X-series. They corrected it and I believe they will delay its release to coincide with the X-Serices launch. They will have the N73 available and I believe also the W950i as well. Now all I am waiting for is the N73 (and X-series) to launch so I can get my new phone after 4 months of waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i bought a three phone for christmas and requested a port over for my old number.. its been 10 days since i requested it and i still dont have my old number.. ive called up 3 twice and they said it would take 24 hours each time... im still waiting.. other than that im pretty happy tho.. nice bit of free web content, great reception, 5c text cant go wrong

o i have a question how much does video calling cost?

^^ Let me see if i got this straight
    you had a old sim card (on one of the 3 other networks)
    if that is the case and it hasnt ported over how are you using 3's services?
    anyway when i ported my number over it took just under 2 days

but its not really up to 3 as it is up to the old network your sim is on

oh and video calls
    if your on bill they are taken from your minutes like voice calls
    for outside you bundle and 3pay check out www.three.ie as im not sure but there not much more expensive than a voice call so i wouldnt worry

It works on the new number. My wife's in much the same situation. Still waiting for the old number (O2) to port through. With Crimbo and all that, I'm sure it'll take a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

1huge1 wrote:
    ^^ Let me see if i got this straight
    you had a old sim card (on one of the 3 other networks)
    if that is the case and it hasnt ported over how are you using 3's services?
    anyway when i ported my number over it took just under 2 days

but its not really up to 3 as it is up to the old network your sim is on

oh and video calls
    if your on bill they are taken from your minutes like voice calls
    for outside you bundle and 3pay check out www.three.ie as im not sure but there not much more expensive than a voice call so i wouldnt worry
    no i was on vodafone, got a new 3 sim card and im using the 3 number at the mo til my number ports over.. ive checked the 3 site for video call charges but had no luck...

Oh ya thats right i forgot they give you a number in the meantime my bad

oh and another thing i forgot was how bad the three website was so pointing you in that direction was a bad idea
    well all i can say is wait not much else you can do tbh unless you want to try ringing 3 again
    oh and while your at it you should ask them about video call charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭event

ok, so im looking to change to a different network than O2

was looking at vodafone, but forgot about 3

im mainly changing for 3G calling and vidio clips, sport clips and the like.

so which of those is better?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

I would say 3

The premiership is free - as many downloads as you like

Advertisement