Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,248 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tell them to send it to work, leave your id with who ever looks after the deliverys so they can produce it to the courier, this is ireland not india....were a little more flexible over here.......;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I've been having a problem with my 3 Nokia 6120 classic, the problem was that when trying to make a call there was just complete silence nothing happening.

I left the phone into my local Nokia repair centre as I don't have a 3 store local. They said they would re-install the software as it seemed like a software problem. When I got the phone back they had flashed it with the generic Nokia firmware so it no longer has planet 3, skype, messenger etc. on it. I'm not bothered about most of it but would like to have the access to planet 3.

The repair centre sent the phone back to Nokia in Dublin and it came back still with only generic firmware but they had installed an earlier release to the one that my local repair centre had installed.

The repair centre rang Nokia Dublin to be told that 3 had taken back their firmware and they had no 3 firmware to install on the phone! They are going to inquire further and should be back to me early next week with some sort of solution.

I would like to know what my options are, does anyone know if the 3 firmware is available somewhere or if it will be re-released soon? Can I manually setup Planet 3 on my phone in the meantime?

Cheers

D-M.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

Eventually got the phone replaced by 3. It's been 1 week since then. The phone's back cover has fallen off, battery is now held in with tape. It's still dropping calls, it still reverts back to automatic network selection. Getting constant messages about being unable to receive sim messages. As of this morning the speaker doesn't work. Turns out the phone wasn't replaced at all, just refurbished.

Dreading the ordeal of having to ring 3 customer care again....

Anybody managed to get out of a contract early? Can't take 7 more months of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Declan1 wrote: »
    Eventually got the phone replaced by 3. It's been 1 week since then. The phone's back cover has fallen off, battery is now held in with tape. It's still dropping calls, it still reverts back to automatic network selection. Getting constant messages about being unable to receive sim messages. As of this morning the speaker doesn't work. Turns out the phone wasn't replaced at all, just refurbished.

Dreading the ordeal of having to ring 3 customer care again....

Anybody managed to get out of a contract early? Can't take 7 more months of this.

Sorry to hear about your problem declan but chances are you won't be a get out of a contract for this reason I'm afraid. All networks that you deal with will be the same and most of them use the same repair agents - MPRC who i've found to be alright or the dreaded anovo, they were had when I dealt with them in 2006 and worse in 2008. The general industry rule before a change of handset will be given to the customer is three "same fault" repairs and even then you are not guranteed a choice of a different handset as whether a new handset can be given often depends on a person nestled in a companies HQ, rather than the person working in the shop.

The automatic network selection thing is built into the firmware of the phone - this has been customised by three so that it always tries to select a three network as opossed to their roaming partner - thus saving them money.

Three like home is far from a scam, I'm from northern ireland and I understand how roaming works and the limitations of it and find it to be one of the best packages around for cross border roamers like me. Their UK Three like home package is better as you get to use your texts when in another three network........ The only thing to remember is that three's coverage will be restricted to large urban centres as their 3g coverage is provided by them, their 2 and 2.5g coverage is provided by a roaming partner.

The person you spoke to in Carphone Warehouse is incorrect. Three simcards will work in any 3g capable handset that is sim free. My Sony Ericsson C702 is ticking away happily.

One thing I would say though is that the 6120 imho is a bit of a clanger..... i found there were quite a few issues with them. I feel the issue is with the particular handset you bought as oppossed to the actual network itself - it could have happened if you bought the same handset in meteor, o2, voda etc. I would keep any documentation that you have for repairs as this is very important. Write a letter to customer care or have the shop send an email detailing the following
    • IMEI
    • Nature of the fault
    • date handset was returned to store
    • date you got the handset back
    • anyaction that was taken - ie repair, replacement, what parts if any were replaced

to their head office/ area manager. If this fails, go to the small claims court, chances are they won't bother to show up.
    Hope that is reasonable. Out of curiosity, from which retailer did you buy the handset from? If you still have the packaging hold onto it - cpw insist on this if your going to get a handset of a different model.

• Advertisement

neilled wrote: »

One thing I would say though is that the 6120 imho is a bit of a clanger..... i found there were quite a few issues with them

+1

3 is not your problem, that phone has been a nightmare...it's riddled with faults, suggest calling 3 and begging for a new phone or stick it on ebay..

The problem with the back cover, have a look down at the bottem end of the back phone cover, you'll see 2 little clips where the cover locks onto the phone, one of them has probably been squashed down by some one putting the cover on wrong, gently pry it up (don't brake it) until it's straight and put back on your cover.......another common problem with that son of a bitch of a phone....;)

It came from the carphonewarehouse originally, when it broke down 3 wanted it returned direct to them for repair, so it went back via the 3 store. Replacement phone came from 3 via the 3 store.

3 like home is great in theory but in practice it's a pain. Every time you loose coverage ie elevator, underground car park etc it reverts back to automatic network selection and regularly picks up a different network. To make a call you then have to go through the process of manually selecting 3 again. If someone else rings you you're stuck on the other network. While driving, it's obviously not possible to keep on reselecting 3 so you're liable to end up paying roaming charges if someone calls you.

When I signed up with 3 I got the phone for next to nothing so going to the small claims court is pointless.

I rang customer care about 2 hours ago, they keep on checking details and calling back. Reckon this could take all day! I'd say I've been on the phone to them for about 45 mins on and off at this stage.

I've been through their complaints procedure. I rang the head office in Dublin, the staff there won't talk to customers, they'll promise to get someone to call you back but it's always someone in the call centre in Mumbai who rings.

I've been through their complaints procedure. I rang the head office in Dublin, the staff there won't talk to customers, they'll promise to get someone to call you back but it's always someone in the call centre in Mumbai who rings.

Declan they have no technical support or customer care staff in Dublin so it's pointless calling them, it's a waste of your time.......it will always be someone from Mumbai that calls you, so you need to sort it out with them..
    Make it quite clear that you want a replacement phone and get yours in for repair again....will this be the 3rd time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

If you send the phone through the correct process 3 have and its the third time you will get the handset replaced

Last time was the 3rd time, it was "replaced" last weekend. The guy in the shop says it would have only been refurbished and that they don't give out new phones. The guys in Mumbai say that it should have been a brand new phone. It's the "new" phone that is causing all these problems now. The back cover on the "new" phone was very lightly scratched when I got it, and the battery was fully charged - I'm pretty sure it wasn't new at all.

3 have finally relented and done what they said was impossible - allowed me to get a new phone, different make, from a 3 shop. Pretty pathetic that's it's taken them 5 months.

• Advertisement

Last time was the 3rd time, it was "replaced" last weekend. The guy in the shop says it would have only been refurbished and that they don't give out new phones. The guys in Mumbai say that it should have been a brand new phone. It's the "new" phone that is causing all these problems now. The back cover on the "new" phone was very lightly scratched when I got it, and the battery was fully charged - I'm pretty sure it wasn't new at all.

3 have finally relented and done what they said was impossible - allowed me to get a new phone, different make, from a 3 shop. Pretty pathetic that's it's taken them 5 months.

Nope its not pathetic because legally you have to deal with the shop that you purchased the handset from, its legally cpw you have to deal with. Your contract that the phone is fit for purpose is with the shop that sells you it. They could legally have told you to go off and deal with them and have it returned through carphones returns procedure. If I were the sales person I'd be rolling my eyes when dealing with a situation like this, particularly if the phone wasn't bought from my store. :mad::mad::mad:

As for your comment about 3 like home, its simple, I restrict where I use the handset. It works fine for me 90% of the time. If you don't understand how it works then thats your fault. I have a contract from three uk and am using all my minutes and texts for free to keep in touch with my mates in belfast.

Don't be so patronising.

I'm well aware of how the like home feature is meant to work. I'm delighted it works for you.

Regarding going back to a 3 shop, this was as directly instructed by 3 customer care.

Don't be so patronising.

I'm well aware of how the like home feature is meant to work. I'm delighted it works for you.

Regarding going back to a 3 shop, this was as directly instructed by 3 customer care.

If you understand all of this why are you going on about three being pathetic? If you understand all of this, why wasn't your phone brought back to carphone warehouse and let them deal with it. They didn't have to touch your case with a bargepole, you seem to have got a new (and different) phone out of it, what is your issue? I know you probably wouldn't have got one from cpw unless there have been major changes since the start of the summer.

Three are guilty of many appalling things to boards users, but your not one of them, your gripe should have been with cpw, three have taken care of it for you and your still going on as if its their problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Do-more wrote: »
    I've been having a problem with my 3 Nokia 6120 classic, the problem was that when trying to make a call there was just complete silence nothing happening.

I left the phone into my local Nokia repair centre as I don't have a 3 store local. They said they would re-install the software as it seemed like a software problem. When I got the phone back they had flashed it with the generic Nokia firmware so it no longer has planet 3, skype, messenger etc. on it. I'm not bothered about most of it but would like to have the access to planet 3.

The repair centre sent the phone back to Nokia in Dublin and it came back still with only generic firmware but they had installed an earlier release to the one that my local repair centre had installed.

The repair centre rang Nokia Dublin to be told that 3 had taken back their firmware and they had no 3 firmware to install on the phone! They are going to inquire further and should be back to me early next week with some sort of solution.

I would like to know what my options are, does anyone know if the 3 firmware is available somewhere or if it will be re-released soon? Can I manually setup Planet 3 on my phone in the meantime?

Cheers

D-M.

Finally got this resolved today. As they couldn't get the firmware from 3, Nokia gave me a brand new 3 branded 6120 less the battery & battery cover which I had to keep from my old phone.

Happy to get it finally sorted....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

Hi. I've been subscribed to 3's 15gig 20euro broadband package for about 8 months now and gotta say I find the service excellent. The thing that is really starting to bug me though is that 3 appears to be deliberately preventing me from knowing what my current data-usage is - clicking on this results in a "Service Unavailable" page being displayed, accompanied by a picture of a cute blonde.

I have never gone over the monthly 15gig - much to 3's consternation it would appear - though I normally come within 1-3gigs of it. Also, it is not simply a case of "clicking it till it works" - 3 simply will not update it, irrespective of the number of attempts made. Only option is to try several hours/days later and hope...

Anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

How are you trying to log into My3? are you putting in the address in the address bar or going through the site.
    Try: https://my3.three.ie
    Or click on the "Log into my3" option on the top of their home page on www.three.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭omelette

I'm not sure exactly how the 3 page logs-in - it seems to detect my account details via the IP address and logs me in securely (https) In other words, I have never had to sign-in manually - I don't have a user/pass that I'm aware of but presume I did register when I first signed up, don't remember! - I just click the green button and I'm in (when it works!) It's not a case of the browser (Opera) logging me in automatically either...

But it definitely does work, at first nearly all the time, but recently it's nigh impossible to get my usage details...

PS - when I click the link you provided, it starts loading the page, changes the URL to "https://my3.three.ie/myaccount/index.do" - then the pretty blonde appears telling me the service is unavailable.

PPS - Just realised that it's the Opera browser that's the problem - Firefox works perfectly...

Advertisement