Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

£30m Highbury Transfer Kitty

• 10-03-2005 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭

According to RTE text this morning Wenger has been promised a £30m transfer kitty this summer to bring in new players. Wenger is reported as saying that he'll be looking for one or two 'star' signings.

Text was posted up until 11am & has now disappeared to be replaced with a statement from Thierry Henry saying that Arsenal have to start bringing in new players if they expect to contend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah, he has a fair ammount to spend in the summer. They announced a share issue with Granada yesterday that's made them £30m, £20m of which is expected to go straight to Wenger. I think it's been overlooked in the media because it was an extension of an old deal and because of all the Champions League mallarky.

Here's RTE online's story from yesterday http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0309/arsenal.html

God knows we need defence!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I thought the Timing of the Press release about the Transfer Kitty was very devious , its obviously been released to lessen the blow of losing the euro game ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Papa Hoff wrote:
    God knows we need defence!!!

? Money players doesnt make them injury free or fit.
    But you may need to replace outgoing left backs ;)

Arsenal need a midfielder Baraja imo would be the best signing they could make, assuming Viear doesnt leave after his annual "im going " party.
    Thye have youth to cover all other areas but with Edu going he needs someone who can pass and tackle to help Viera, last night cruelly showed that.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has been promised part of a £30m (€43) summer windfall to spend on new players.

Spending on the Gunners’ new stadium, which is set to be completed in the summer of 2006, had been expected to hamper their transfer activity.

While they made a club record purchase of Jose Reyes in January 2004, they have since spent just over £5m (€7m) on Manuel Almunia, Robin van Persie, Mathieu Flamini and Emmanuel Eboue.

However, Wenger has been assured of a sizeable transfer kitty to strengthen his squad from investors and media partners Granada, with the Frenchman having promised only last weekend to look for “star” signings.

The new share deal with Granada, which was triggered by 12 months elapsing since the agreement of planning permission and financing for the new stadium, has ensured the extra cash investment.

Managing director Keith Edelman told the club’s website, www.arsenal.com : “This share issue completes the agreement made in October 2000 between Arsenal and Granada.

“The proceeds will assist Arsenal in the achievement of our corporate objectives, including investment in the development of our playing squad.”
    Nobody said anything about Arsene getting a £30m transfer kitty (other than the media) so don't get your hopes up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Wouldn't suprise me to see a few players leaving during the summer for various reasons........

Edu
    Ljundberg (maybe as part of a swap deal)
    Reyes (if he stays homesick - alhough on last nights performance !!!)
    Cole (rumours of a swap with Cuddicini + cash)
    Van Persie (how much longer is he gonna tolerate the missed shots & temper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Mikeal Essien
    Shaun Wright-Phillips

will be two definites that will be linked to arsenal during the summer

i would love if we got essien but theres alot of different clubs after him. we need a new goalkeeper, a new centrehalf to replace cygan, a superstar midfieler and a new superstar striker OR stick with reyes and give him a proper chance with henry upfront.

i cant see ashley cole going anywhere in the summer.

i suspect wenger will make a cheeky bid for ledley king aswell

there is no way i can go through another season of watching arsenal games with zero confidence in the goalkeeper its too fecking nerve racking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

money cant buy confidence!

lets not forget this is the same arsenal side that were 'invincible' not so long ago. one result and that has affected the whole side.

all arsenal need is confidence, not 30m. (well a keeper maybe)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

If this report is true, and Arsenal do get £30m to spend, the gap is just going to get bigger and bigger between the top 3 and the rest of league (unless Liverpool splash some cash and make it a big four).

Arsenal certainly can't be blamed for trying to compete, but this doesnt look good for the rest of the league.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If this report is true, and Arsenal do get £30m to spend, the gap is just going to get bigger and bigger between the top 3 and the rest of league (unless Liverpool splash some cash and make it a big four).

Arsenal certainly can't be blamed for trying to compete, but this doesnt look good for the rest of the league.

I can think of 6 below top 3 that have spent about that in last 18 months.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

one result and that has affected the whole side.

oh please get over yourself!
    one result does not make a team or a season!

The goalkeeper has been found out just like howard and carrol were and with campell out for most of the season with injury the defense has suffered greatly. Look what happened to Utd last year when they lost ferdinand!

What Arsenal need are a new keeper( hildebrand /Frey)
    new defender (anybody but cygan, king would be my no1 choice)
    and right winger or central midfielder( Wright-phillips as a RW or Eissien to partner Vieira in the middle)

With 3 top new top players i think arsenal could be once again true contenders for the league and euorpe.

Pires to go and maybe ljundburg if we get a new RW. Reyes will fill in for pires and remember we also have Bently to come back to us next season

Arsenal have lots of young players coming through namely, Cesc, clichy, Qunicy O-A(Dont even ask me to spell him!), Sendores,Eboue, Flamini, Van Persie, Bently hell even Reyes is still young but at 21 he is the daddy of that group!

Hopefully now they will get a good run in the league run in and in fairness they all have been given a chance by Wenger who is usually very conservitate with regards blooding young players. Cesc at 17 has 22 premiership games under his belt already most of them starts(ok gilberto's and edus injurys did help).

If even half of them make it to the senior side id be a happy camper!
    I just think at the back we have been lacking and 2/3 new top players would make arsenal much better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Arsenal dropped the ball big time letting go of Parlour.

If they are getting £30m they need to bring some decent new players, but no foreigners They need to bring in some Englishmen, in order to give the team some bit of spirit again. Parker could be available at the end of the season from Chelsea. They should try their luck with King, but somehow, i dont see that move happening ever. They need a poacher in the mould of Owen. they look very likely to sign SWP. If they got a solid backbone into the team, and not the whinging moan stars they have at the moment, they could easily be back to where they were last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jank wrote:
    with campell out for most of the season with injury the defense has suffered greatly. Look what happened to Utd last year when they lost ferdinand!

GOTCHA :D

When united fans were saying that last year we were told that missing just one player should not be a factor in our loss of form:)

I,m not sure money will be the answer either,Wenger seems to be better at finding and nuturing unproven talent than scouting and signing establised player that can cut the mustard in the premiership. I cant think of any of his big money signings that have set the place alight in the long term. Maybe he'll buy Klebeson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

When united fans were saying that last year we were told that missing just one player should not be a factor in our loss of form

True but Arsenal were also missing Vieira/Gilberto/Edu for long periods of the season. Gilberto hasnt kicked a ball since October! Now if Ferdiand AND Keane/Scholes/fortune were out for most of the season between them i would think that Utd would be in a position more akin to Everton or Liverpool, but Arsenal are still fighing for that second place!
    I cant think of any of his big money signings that have set the place alight in the long term

Its very easy to say that because big name singings at Highbury are more rare than good crosses from *twinkle toes* Ronaldo. ;)

Wiltord was a disapointment alright, Reyes still has time and then you have who Jeffers for 7 million, Was out injured for most of the first season so that runied his chances.

And i wouldnt call 7 million a big name signing. Wiltord and Reyes cost just a bit more than Shrek alone, never mind Ronaldo, Saha, Veron. How much does that add up to
    30 million for Ferdinand! Good player but what a price leeds got for him.

Just putting things in perspective here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Shay Given - Has to on the shortlist after his performance against Arsenal recently
    Shaun Wright-Philips - Has been said already

I think any wingers he buys will be from abroad. Apart from Duff who is too expensive, there isn't anyone up there with Pires and Ljunberg in the Premiership who can play in the Arsenal style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

LizardKing wrote:
    I thought the Timing of the Press release about the Transfer Kitty was very devious , its obviously been released to lessen the blow of losing the euro game ...
    Except it was announced weeks ago.

At least 4 new players are needed; a keeper, 2 centrebacks, a centre midfielder, and possibly a winger or striker depending on how the kids progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeah, this was announced about 2 weeks ago

They need:

A new Goalie definally
    A striker who can nick goals in close games
    A midfielder to replace Edu

Then they have the cover of Youth

It'll be fine for ARsenal next season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Julio Baptista is the perfect signing for arsenal, I reckon he ould compliment Henry perfectly, big, powerfull striker who is also very good on the deck, great player best brazilian striker after adriano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

Arsenal do need a keeper, problem is so do United. I think a decent older (cheapish) keeper with Almunia (sp?) as backup ready to come into the team in a couple of seasons could be the way to go.

Arsenal fans on this board seem to be stuck on SWP too but I think they need a centre half more.

• Advertisement

SteM wrote:
    Arsenal do need a keeper, problem is so do United. I think a decent older (cheapish) keeper with Almunia (sp?) as backup ready to come into the team in a couple of seasons could be the way to go.

Arsenal fans on this board seem to be stuck on SWP too but I think they need a centre half more.
    Can't say I really fancy SWP, Arsenal already have a midget to play right wing :D

Baptista would be an amazing signing Arsenal, but I can't see Sevilla letting him go for anything close to a reasonable price. One player I know I want at Arsenal next season is Van Bommel - he's a class act. Good passer (especially corners), strong, dirty (in a typically cynical European style), excellent defensively and strong in the air.

Arsenal don't need a winger, Pires and Lnunberg are two of the best in the world.

PHB wrote:
    Arsenal don't need a winger, Pires and Lnunberg are two of the best in the world.
    Pires is aging and has had a poor season, while Ljungberg's style is very limited against the top sides. Someone who could offer something different would be a welcome addition, although given a chance I think Quincy and Bentley could do well for themselves!

And Reyes Van persie and Incy wincy spider they can all do a job on wings.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Pires is aging and has had a poor season, while Ljungberg's style is very limited against the top sides. Someone who could offer something different would be a welcome addition, although given a chance I think Quincy and Bentley could do well for themselves!
    Pires was stunning for the first half of the season. Sure hes 4th top scorer in the league. Granted he has lost a bit of form, but so have Arsenal. And he is getting on a bit.

As regards Ljungberg, how many times does he score vital goals in big games? As an Arsenal fan Im shocked that you think he is ineffective against the top sides. I think he is excellent.

What I think they really need is a centre forward, or target man. I cant remember the last player like that to be a regular for Arsenal, Im even thinking it might have been Alan Smith. :eek:

Yeah, Lhungberg imo is the one arsenal player who always preforms in big games, always preforms everywhere, very consistant player.

Target man, + replacements for anyone who leaves and a new CB, and Arsenal are gona be in a position to win the PL next year

Pires was stunning for the first half of the season. Sure hes 4th top scorer in the league. Granted he has lost a bit of form, but so have Arsenal. And he is getting on a bit.
    So stunning that he's been a benchwarmer for Reyes all season. His goals tally is deceptive, I don't imagine that many of them made any difference to the results they came in. Certainly the vast majority of Arsenal forumistas agree that he has been a shadow of his former self this season.
    As regards Ljungberg, how many times does he score vital goals in big games? As an Arsenal fan Im shocked that you think he is ineffective against the top sides. I think he is excellent.
    Okay, maybe I was being a bit harsh on Ljungberg because in recent games (Bayern x2, Sheff Utd) he's been absolutely awful. He's been one of our better players this season, though I can't think of any particularily memorable performances from him.
    What I think they really need is a centre forward, or target man. I cant remember the last player like that to be a regular for Arsenal, Im even thinking it might have been Alan Smith. :eek:
    These kind of players have never really fit in with the Arsenal style though. I wouldn't mind if a big centre-forward was signed, but i'd be just as happy to see the youngsters given the nod. I don't think scoring goals is Arsenal's problem.

Dont think arse have any player problems , honestly they the best footballing team in the league won it last year and this year found it a lot harder.

When the ehhh strong arm part of your team is ripped out , games you would have won 1-0 and sat back for 89 minutes became quite difficult without Gilberto and Campbell for large parts of season Edu also. Most of Arse wins when not playing wonderful football last year where from being damn good at sitting back and very hard to break down.

Take out the entire middle of your team and you will suffer. Longterm maybe Campbell is getting a sicknote reputation but Senderos is a decent young player to come in when needed. If Edu stays (which is looking unlilkey) and Gilberto gets fit arsenal will be fine, every other position on the team has a class professional filling it and a promising youth to fill it. Not a bad position to be in fair play to AW for getting the team into that position. I just wanna see Baraja in prem with a decent side :D

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Dont think arse have any player problems , honestly they the best footballing team in the league won it last year and this year found it a lot harder.

When the ehhh strong arm part of your team is ripped out , games you would have won 1-0 and sat back for 89 minutes became quite difficult without Gilberto and Campbell for large parts of season Edu also. Most of Arse wins when not playing wonderful football last year where from being damn good at sitting back and very hard to break down.

Take out the entire middle of your team and you will suffer. Longterm maybe Campbell is getting a sicknote reputation but Senderos is a decent young player to come in when needed. If Edu stays (which is looking unlilkey) and Gilberto gets fit arsenal will be fine, every other position on the team has a class professional filling it and a promising youth to fill it. Not a bad position to be in fair play to AW for getting the team into that position. I just wanna see Baraja in prem with a decent side :D

kdjac
    Aye, Gilberto has been missed imho. He always got a lot of stick prior to his injury, he'll be a appreciated a lot more (ala Rio Ferdinand) when he gets back. I just read an article on SSN that he and the doctors thought his career was over towards the end of last year, that would have been a massive blow.

I'd like Edu to stay but it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

So stunning that he's been a benchwarmer for Reyes all season. His goals tally is deceptive, I don't imagine that many of them made any difference to the results they came in. Certainly the vast majority of Arsenal forumistas agree that he has been a shadow of his former self this season.
    A bench warmer for Reyes? Reyes has only started one more game than Pires all season. And given Reyes is more versitile, and Pires is getting on a bit, its hardly surprising.

But I agree that he has not performed this year as well as he did last year, but he has still scored a huge number of goals. And apart from two or three at the very beginning of the year, all of them have made huge differences in the games they came in.

Its only since Christmas that his form has begun to dip.
    These kind of players have never really fit in with the Arsenal style though. I wouldn't mind if a big centre-forward was signed, but i'd be just as happy to see the youngsters given the nod. I don't think scoring goals is Arsenal's problem.
    I agree that scoring goals isnt a problem for Arsenal, but they depend on being brilliant too often. And in games when the likes of Henry isnt playing to well they are void of ideas. Sometimes you cant always play fluid flashy football. Sometimes you should just put it in the box. I really think to be the best they need a player like this to poach goals.

Also (and sorry to use a cliche but) defence starts from the front. A target man type holds the ball up, taking pressure of the defence. Arsenals slick style and one touch movement can result in them losing the ball quickly at times, and hence leaving them vulnerable to counter. And as well, a target man would lend much needed support defending set pieces.

Advertisement