Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pissed.....

• 10-03-2005 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭

anyone feel that itcarlow has gone to the dogs. Computing lecturers are beyond a joke. Useless. how is someobody supposed to get a job when their finished when their doing csm????? a complete and utter waste of my life. Ive never learned a thing in this course, nothing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

well in 4th year CS4 u go on 6 months work placement. basically they just try and pawn u off to the nearest IT company in the hope they'll never see u again. just try get the work placement somewhere relatively good thats near where u live and once ur in then u have a good chance of stayin on. then work up the ladder.

i thought u meant u were drunk btw. woulda been a better thread. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

That's my course xavier. Who are ya?

It's quite possibly the worst course I've ever done, the danes are glad to see it leave.

systems admin/project management are by far the ultimate tag team in pointless subject content..

Yeah that's right Aiden, if we get systems admin jobs we're all gonna be administrating a companys network with UNIX, yeah

ls-l my ****ing ringpiece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

wow, in two posts a thread can be reduced to utter crap devoid of a point, and when you utter such sheer crap such as "ls-l my ****ing ringpiece", you void your opinion, are ignored, and have lost whatever you may have been argueing.

Getting X piece of paper from college means nothing, other than it opens the door to X, Y & Z job, it doesn't get you the job - this goes for all colleges.
    It's up to you to learn whatever needs to be learnt, if you are unable to google or pickup things for yourself, may aswell giveup now.

Regardless what Qualification you have, the usual layout for jobs would be support for X time, then move into second level support which will probably involve some admin type stuffs, after that then get low level admin job, and work way up slowly.
    This is how it works 90% of the time.
    The piece of paper lets you move upwards, or apply for new jobs to move upwards, that is all.
    Fair? No, it's the way it works though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i take it use are in 3rd year csm? just get through the year an stay for the work experience its were u really learn your stuff. Im startin a job with xilinx in a couple of weeks real good job they make the engine management systems for bmwf1. 3rd year is pants but the lab work is the key learn your linux and datatbases and u'll fly 4th year an get a good job to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

hey sean hope you are getting on ok in your new job, you are missing all the fun in class,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

CSM is a joke. Even though the networking degree is nothing great in the first two years it is still the far better computer course in carlow in every respect. Keith Smith is the best lecturer going. His class seems to make up for the amount of maths. I duno myself how people are going to get jobs from CSM. Glorified Helpdesk people!.

There's so much more the college could do to really make the courses good, a little time here and there would work wonders but still many lectuer's stay with the same notes for years on end and dont update them. XXXXXX, X XXXXX etc etc, they are a plague.

I agree with Sean that the paper you get at the end is only a mere selling point. It won't get you a job. If you have no cop at all about what you've studied for, you'll always be at the bottom of the ladder. By that i mean, if your just hanging on in there with 45s and 50s in every test, have no real interest in the course or the end product of the course etc etc. In my course (networking), an example would be somebody who has never configured an IP address or used a switch. These people then complain to the high heavens that they arent learning anything in college. College is just a basis, you should be using ur own initiative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

results.... pfffff
    results are relative alright, but to be honest you really need to have an interest in computers to get on well at them. if you dont have an interest, you wont see how relative the material you learn is, and how you can use it when you are working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

elvis2002 wrote:
    There's so much more the college could do to really make the courses good, a little time here and there would work wonders but still many lectuer's stay with the same notes for years on end and dont update them. XXXXXX, X XXXXX etc etc, they are a plague.

im not sure but i THINK that the college is bound to a cetrain curriculum set by HETAC or whoever they get their awards from. if carlow it was able to get its own awards then they could change them as they wish and probably customize them to better suit their students needs!

btw i got that from the survey today they gave when i was votin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Kain

Xavier, don't you spend have the day asleep and then the other half playing Counter Strike in the labs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I wonder why I.T carlow forum died?
    Could it be because of self righteous pricks like seanos who make grasp the functionality of unix but not of the concept of social interaction/sense of humour. **** this board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

heh your a dumbass

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Laguna wrote:
    I wonder why I.T carlow forum died?
    Could it be because of self righteous pricks like seanos who make grasp the functionality of unix but not of the concept of social interaction/sense of humour. **** this board

Ease up a bit, maybe sean was not correct to take a swipe at your swipe at unix but he has a point. If you do not like unix thats your tough as it is becomeing one of the most required skills out there in computers. All courses no mater what they are require a bit of interest to seem any good to the person doing it. If it bothers you that much why don't you just go piss off and become a ****ing monk or something. Wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

I made no reference to UNIX in my post ...
    I quoted what you said, and mensioned how that kind of 'sense of humour' voids your point, and I'm not saying it voids it for me, I'm talking in general terms.
    If I went out to protest some tax reform, or tax increase for instance, and I put "Bertie bangs goats" on my plaque cards, well it would then take away from my point, and give me no ground to stand on.

If you have a problem with something, fine, state the problem, but if you start saying X lecturer is fat, and having more kids, or any other personal reference, then your point is lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

TomTom wrote:
    Ease up a bit, maybe sean was not correct to take a swipe at your swipe at unix but he has a point. If you do not like unix thats your tough as it is becomeing one of the most required skills out there in computers. All courses no mater what they are require a bit of interest to seem any good to the person doing it. If it bothers you that much why don't you just go piss off and become a ****ing monk or something. Wanker.

Just felt it needed to be said again.

Laguna, for someone who thinks this board is dead and hates it so much, you sure do post here alot.

Advertisement