Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all MP3 player experts....

• 10-03-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭

Guys,
    Im going to purchase a Creative Zen Touch (20GB) mp3 player for personal use, but also for the car.
    I have been scoping out some of these fm transmitters, particularly the Belkin Tunecast II and I was wondering if anyone has a review (yes, I have checked the reviews on the web but I want some feedback from Irish users) or horror storys...

Anything would be helpful (and thats doesn't mean open season for the smart arses out there)....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

I don't know about fm transmitters, but you'd want to try out the zen touch before you buy it, some people (like me) find the touchpad very awkward to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i have the tunecast II. its great! large range but the only thing i found was that the battery goes quite quickly...

also, some interference comes in when its running on batteries (only very rarely though), but when i touch it the interference goes, so i assume its a grounding problem of some description.

but it comes with the in-car power adaptor so use that in the car and you'll be grand!

on the zen touch it is very awkward to use the scroller thingy

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you have a tape player on the car, screw the transmitter and get one of these: http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=3151&productId=119446&Trail=C%24cip%3D21872.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D21920.Car%2Baudio&categoryId=21920
    or even just the tape part. They come dirt cheap if you buy them on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I would second the tap player adapter idea, i had a FM Modulator on my car for my iPod. Lets just say I dont use it in the car anymore (wish i had a tape player!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Just out of curosity, what is the range of those transmitters? Have shower radio, hate morning radio, me sees a solution... I don't want my iRiver in the bathroom, but it could be 1 metre away and through a plasterboard (and ceramic tile) wall. Would it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

but it could be 1 metre away and through a plasterboard (and ceramic tile) wall. Would it work?

on my one, yes. i think my one (belkin tunecast II) has a power output of 2-watts, thats about 30 metres in an open field, less if through walls etc.

not sure about the rest of them (iTrip etc.)

moe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I have tried both of the Arkon devices, - quite useless, loads of interference and the basic one seemed to suffer from frequency drift.

The Belkin Tunecast II is worth the extra few bob, as it can tune to to the full 88.5 - 108 range, where as the others tend to give you preset frequencies.

Maplin stock a headphone extender cable along with a few adaptors, this is useful as the audio in cable also functions as an antenna, this may give a new lease of life to some units

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭familyguy

Have ordered a refurbished iRiver H10 20GB from this ebay store.

I think ill be getting a Tunecast II so as I can play it in the car and on home stereo.
    I have seen the Belkin on plenty of US sites, but does anyone know if I can get it somewhere closer to home (don't want to wait weeks for shipping)?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Technically they are illegal in Ireland so you can't buy them here, dunno about the rest of Europe. You will probably have to buy from the states.

Yeah, I was afraid someone would say that.
    Are they illegal to buy and sell or just to use?
    Of course I intend to obtain a valid broadcasting license before using it :D

Anyone know of any sites in particular?
    I've seen them on egears.co.uk (UK£26.99) or eBay from as little as €7.17 (BuyItNow) before shipping. Sounds a little too cheap if you ask me

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just to use, but customs may withhold it from you if they check the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I bought one from this ebay seller http://stores.ebay.com/XPCREATION_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm.

Really quick shipping. Cost me less than €35 delivered.

I tried it out this morning. I found the reception a bit annoying (hissing even when the player is right beside my cd/radio player in the car). Also found I had to turn the MP3 players (Creative Muvo) volume control right up - and the radio volume up high. Anyone else notice this? It could be my MP3 player/car stereo.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I heard that Mr Calculator on Duke St sells the FM transmittors. I think BCool in Swords do too.

Any idea of price in that Mr. Calculator place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Dfitzer

I have a Belkin range quite short but it was still the best 30 dollars i ever spent reception is perfect and all your tunes available on your radio dont buy a cd player for the car buy one of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Illegal in Ireland? Didn't know that. We sell them in our computer store....hmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

familyguy wrote:
    Any idea of price in that Mr. Calculator place?
    if it's anything like their prices on psp's you'll run a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

we sell them for 49 euro. Dunno if thats expensive or not?

Advertisement