Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

might be a network issue???

Options
  • 10-03-2005 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Ok this problem has being annoying the hell out of me for the past few weeks, i can connect to a p2p but if i download anything my connection will be dropped almost instantly. i am getting an Event ID:7035 in the event viewer. Don’t think this is a windows or SP2 problem as i did a clean reinstall on a spear hard disk and the problem is still there. :mad: may be its down to the number of network connections. Dual gigabit and 802.11g and my BB is coming in on USB. :confused: although probably not as i disabled all of the network ports and it still doesn’t work, web surfing and downloading is fine no problem at all. its also not a firewall issues as i disabled that as well, not an ISP issues as it works fine on my laptop.
    Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

Not sure if this'll help but I've seen a similar problem mentioned on this site under the broadband thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=233626

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

thanks dwarfchucka but i afraid that didnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What's the full text of the event in event viewer?

Details
    Product: Windows Operating System
    ID: 7036
    Source: Service Control Manager
    Version: 5.2
    Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_STATUS_SUCCESS

Explanation
    The specified service changed to the state indicated in the message. This message is logged for informational purposes only.

User Action
    No user action is required.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles available for this specific error or event message. For information about other support options you can use to find answers online, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

bump
    really need some help on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Bodan

it sounds something i heard awhile ago where sp2 limits the amount of concurrent TCP connections to 10 . It would explain why you only have it on p2p programs .

Check out this link , lvllord.de . Its explains it a bit more and has a patcher to allow more connections.

If you dont want to try the patcher , someone suggested this.
    First, open the Registry Editor and search the following string:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters"

Then add a new DWORD-value in the right window named "TcpNumConnections"

Then click it right->change and put a Hex-Value "fffffe" in it.

That changes the maximum TCP/IP-Connections to 16.777.214

Nope thats not it i tried the patch a while ago and still the same problem, but thanks for the help.

I dont thinks its a problem with sp2 infact i am definatly sure its not, cos i did a clean reinstalll on a spare hard disk without sp2 and still the same problem :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

Might be worth a check for spyware....? http://www.adoko.com/test.html

Consider using windump/winpcap http://windump.polito.it/ and have a look at the traffic...?

any dodgy processes running...?

Have you tried other p2p clients...?

osmethod

thanks osmethod but i know its not malware cos of the format then a clean install, tried it right after i installed bitdefender, same story on all p2p iv tried bearshare, mp3downloading, sharezza. It only happens on p2p which is driving me mad.

Try the windump suggestion... a look at the traffic and you may deduce where it is dropping...

Did you try turning off the firewall temporarily...?

How far do you get...i.e. run the program.. ok.. browse servers ok.. connect to servers ok.. etc..

Run netstat -na -t 3 in a cmd window.... see that your p2p conections are working... check the syn/ack/fin flags...

Do a traceroute to one of the p2p servers...

Try a ping also and see if there is timeout on route...

osmethod

• Advertisement

try emule... it never gives me bother...

osmethod

Apologies... omit the -t in previous post...i.e. use netstat -na 3

osmethod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

does your modem have an ethernet port? if so try that. I was having loads of trouble on mine connection using the USB and P2P. kept going down all the time.

switched to using ethernet and it's working fine now.

will have to get another ripwave modem to do that. Will there be any trouble sending the one i have back to get an ethernet one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

didn't realise it was ripwave. no idea tbh with one of them.

Still didn’t find out what’s wrong with it, but I have a work around, I set up a network between my laptop and desktop, internet connection is shared from the laptop and it works fine, its just a temp work around as I don’t want to have my laptop on 24/7.
    Thanks for everyone’s help.

Advertisement