Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best match ever?

• 10-03-2005 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone has a different opinion as to what makes a good match. What are peoples favourite matches ever, from any fed, and why?

For me, the following

ECW: Heatwave 98, 6 man tag - The Dudleys Vs Dreamer, Spike and Sandman.

This was as hardcore a match as you will see. Something of a pre-cursor to TLC. This was amazing. Some of the bumps taken were shocking. At the end, a run in by New Jack settled things for Dreamer & Co. The crowd were so into this as well. Top Class.

Summerslam 2001: TLC 1
    A gimmick match most certainly, but none of the other TLCs could hold a candle to this. Between the Dudleys hardcore style, and Jeffs reckless leanings, this was a jaw dropping match. Ill watch it every now and then, and will still be amazed by some of the bumps taken.

Royal Rumble 2003 Kurt Angle Vs Chris Benoit
    For pure wrestling, I dont think you will see many matches better than this. Topsy turvy. It showcased both mens abilities to put on a great show.

WM19 Kurt Angle Vs Brock Lesnar
    Same as above really. Brilliant wrestling match. The botched shooting star press by Brock makes this all the more memorable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

WWE Invasion RVD vs Jeff Hardy 01
    Thought that match was brilliant, RVD did the van dam anaitor and sent jeff flying. RVD's first match for the WWE and it was a good one

WWE Wrestle Mania 18 Rock v Hogan 02
    For sheer memorabilty, this mach goes on my list as one of the greats
    Crowd was so into it as well, one moment they supported Rock ,then Hogan, then Rock etc.

WWE WrestleMania UnderTaker v Kane
    dont know when it was (99 i think)
    Great match, undertaker survivng three tome stone pile drivers
    coming out the victor (this is more about the all undertakers matches at WM rather than this just one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

6 Man Hell in a Cell match at Armageddon 2000 - WWF.

The match that proved Rikish had his use - being chokeslammed onto trucks.

Jordan Invincible v the Machine - IPW, 2005.

Was lucky enough to be working on this show in New Zealand and just caught the main event which was unbelievable.

and TLC 1 of course. For all the reasons already outlined above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

For me it would be Austin/Hart at WM 13.
    My two favourite wrestlers of all time, in my favourite feud of all time.
    Plus both left as winners, with Bret getting the win but Stone Cold refusing to tap.
    Great story telling by two top characters.
    Classic, Should have been the Main Event that year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

For sheer fan support:

Hulk Hogan vs The Rock - Wrestlemania 18

The quality of the wrestling on show was average but the fans made the match.It was great to see Hulk man-handle the Rock and strike his famous poses for the crowd as The Rock looked on.Rock then got booed out of the building despite being a major face.A great ending with Hogan Hulking up although I wish he had got the win.Great match though.

I think Bret Hart has had some of the greatest matches of all time as well.The one at Summerslam against the British Bulldog for the IC title was great.The storyline for that one was brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

AUSTIN VS THE ROCK MANIA 17

This is the match i go back and watch every now and then when im down and feelin blue after another lacklustre ppv!! i had a feeling austin was gonna turn but i still sat on the edge of my seat for nearly an hour, from the minute the fink anounces " and in this contest there will be NOOOOOOOOO disqualification" J.R.: "WHAT!??! WHEN WAS THAT ADDED!!" then....... WOOOOOOOOOOMKISSSSSSSH!!! Glass breaks 80,000 texans go mental!! still get shivers. think iv posted about this match before........ LETS BE 'AVIN YA!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

RVD Vs Jerry Lynn, Hardcore Heaven

For the TV title. Back and forth action from two guys on top of their game. Lynn gets knocked out half way through and regains from it to finish it.

The Dudleys Vs Balls Mahoney and Spike

Last match of the Dudleys career in ECW beofre they jumped to the WWE. Tag titles on the line. Some nice bumps and a great doubleteam segment towards the end.

Undertaker Vs Mankind,

The hell in the cell where Foley did what everyone now knows him for.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

lesnar vs goldberg at mania last year just coz i caught up on some sleep during it.
    but seriously rvd vs sabu stretcher match at 'the doctor is in' ppv
    or hbk vs mankind at mind games that started the whole attitude era
    or of course going back a few manias owen vs bret steel cage match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Coney Island

Wrestlemania 7 -- Ultimate Warrior vs Macho "King" Randy Savage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bimmu

Ones that I remember.

Wrestlemania 3, Savage Vs. Steamboat
    Wrestlemania 6, Ultimate Warrior Vs. Hulk Hogan
    Can't remember which Wrestlemania it was, but the first time Rock Vs. Austin
    Wrestlemania 10 , Shawn Michaels Vs. Diesel

ECW, can't remember which PPV, but Shane Douglas Vs. Bam Bam Bigelow...that was a very awesome match, the ring psychology was amazing in that match. Douglas got killed the whole match, then barely pulled out a victory...it was particularly awesome cause the camera caught Douglas saying to Francine "He's killing me , he's killing me" after Douglas got thrown out of the ring...
    Also ECW Rey Mysterio jr. Vs. Psicosis 2 out of 3 falls match was a wicked bout.

It's a shame what the WWE is today....Big Slow Vs JBL...sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

Taker v. Bossman at mania when the brood started chokin bossman, sheer brilliance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

Micheals-v- Bret at wm12
    Benoit and angle at the rumble
    taker against hogan survivor series 1991
    Micheals v razor ladder match wm10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Unit00

Angle V Austin at Summerslam 2001.

Loved the story going into it
    Always loved the cowardly Champion who would do anything to keep the belt
    It was also during Angles first Face run in the company and it was about time the fans liked and appreciated what he does

Austin doing the million dollar dream is always cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 DannyAu-Yeung

Bret Hart against Mr Prefect summerslam 91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

I'd deinetly echo the vote for: Austin Vs The Rock, Wrestlemania 2001.
    It was shocking how into it the crowd were. These were two of the most popular guys ever at their peak, and the crowd knew it. They screamed their lungs out for the duration. Also, neither guy put a foot wrong. Beautiful psychology and great moves that were rather stiff looking. I wasn't too crazy about the finish though.

Also, I have to second the vote for: Angle Vs Benoit, Royal Rumble 2003.
    The two best at their best. The pace was amazing and so many fantastic moves. Any of you guys remember the spot where Benoit and Angle were trading German Suplexes, and Benoit did the best ever release German? While I had seen this move done before, it had never been better. Angle essentially sold it by doing a moonsault. The finish was fantastic oo, with Angle debuting the leg-lace ankle lock. Although it was a new move, the crowd knew it was the finish straight away. Fantastic.

Triple H Vs Shawn Michaels Vs Chris Benoit, Wrestlemania 2004. (While I have only seen it once).
    Everything abot this match was right - the three main styles of wrestling being represented by three of the best practitioners of these; Triple H the brawler, Michaels the flyer (sort of!) and Benoit as the technical wrestler. The MSG crowd chewed up every second of it. Finally, I doubt I'm the only one here who jumped out of his seat and cheered whe Hunter tapped, and I was watching it at home!

Other matches that rate highly, but no quite as high:
    Brock Lesnar Vs The Undertaker, Hell in the Cell, No Mercy 2002.No big spots, just stiff, intense brawling, start to finish. The match that cemented Lesnar as here to stay (in a way!).

Jerry Lynn Vs Rob Van Dam, ECW Living Dangerously 1999.
    I have all of their matches and this one is my favourite. The story of the match was fantastic, with Lynn being one step ahead of Van Dam the whole way, and when the belt was offered to Lynn at the time limit, he turned it down, asking for five minutes more. Van Dam then essentially got lucky to beat him.

Steve Austin & Triple H Vs Cris Benoit & Chris Jerich, the RAW after Judgement Day, 2001.Awesome match, both the best non-PPV match and the best tag match I can think of. Great spots, fantastic crowd reaction, and its always good to see such talented guys go over against eople who put very few people over. This was the match where Hunter got his quad injury, for those of you who don't remember it.

Eddie Guerrero Vs Dean Malenko, 2 out of 3 falls, ECW 1995.
    The last ECW match for both men. The crowd chanted "Please Don't Go." Great pure wrestling and moves. All that let it down was a lack of psychology and selling that was a common problem in ECW.

Kurt Angle Vs Steve Austin, Summerslam 2001.Really intense. Angle was fantastic here, bleeding an ocean and kicking out of three stunners (!). Although it was a DQ, I loved the finish too. That dastardly Nick Patrick!

Thats all I can think of for now. I have seen hardly any WCW or Japanese stuff though. Your thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

Bret Hart Vs Shawn Micheals(WM12): Took you through the motions that all good wrestling matches should do

Mankind vs Shawn Micheals(Mind Games): Alot of nicely placed spots that had never been used before...at least not in a WWF ring

Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin: Always had a notion that Austin was over rated as a wrestler but that match proved me wrong. Probably one of the last matches that actually got any kind of emotion out of me.

Three Way Dance in ROH A.J Styles v Paul London v Low Ki: I loved this match, its more of the acrobatic stuff you'd excpect from ROH but all three guys gave it there all and pulled off one of the all time greatest matches. Even the majority of the spots were seamless.

Bret Hart vs Owen Hart(WM10) : This match has always stuck out in my mind as being a great showcase of wrestling maybe because both of them had the same ideals for the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I am not an avid fan but enjoy the franchise a lot.
    One that sticks out in my mind is a triple threat tag team TLC match!
    Not sure if that is the correct title or when it was but it was:

The Hardy Boys
    v
    The Dudley Boys
    v
    Edge and christian

And i just remember being shocked. I can still see Jeff Hardy moonsaulting from the ladder going through the table with Bubba Ray. It was an awesome match!
    cannot remember who won it but like i said, i still have images from it in my head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

HBK vs HHH (Summerslam 02)

Advertisement