Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCMNR to GBS Groups - Shop Around for wholesale BB

Options
  • 10-03-2005 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

O’Donnchu says his advice to group broadband schemes seeking wholesale broadband services is to shop around. “There are lots of alternatives out there – ESB, Bord Gáis, Eircom, Aurora, Esat BT and Chorus all have fibre capacity reaching across the country. Both RTÉ and ESB also have significant tower infrastructure that no one is looking at. As well as this E-Net have reserved some 500Mbps of capacity on the MAN network suitable for up to 150 group schemes.

Hey Mr_Man, was it two companies you got after you shopped around ? I think you need the shopping assistant that they use in the DCMNR.

Full article is here:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I had read this in the morning with interest but there are so many WTF bits in there.

1. ENet have never indicated to any Groups Scheme in planning/otherwise that they ever had any capacity short of a full ring (€80k a year near me and I light it and I sort backhaul and a drop out to the GBS too )

2. ENet have not told anyone how they intend to price 'chunks ' of the 500Mb reservation that I never heard about before.

3. ENet have no information in the public domain on how and where they intend to present this to a GBS , where do we plug in the GigE Fibre lads ????

4. ENet have totally disregarded each and every GBS meeting hosted in different counties in the BMW area in the past month under the aegis of the Local Authority / pretend Regional Authority / Dept of Comms . ENet never attended ANY of these meetings while most of them were badly afflicted by hordes of diverted Eircom Winback scum handing out Flat Rate Signup CDs . Surely they could have offloaded a schlab of the 500Mbit reservation there ? Do they care ?

5. Why is Niall obsessed with connecting to government fibre when his department seems to think that VSAT is adequate and largely funds VSAT GBS schemes. The Dept of Comms will NOT fund ADSL backhauled schemes even though they are frequently the most practical and frequently the only way to do s small scale 20 house spot GBS

Why is there no middle tier wireless presentation methodology ? What is wrong with ADSL, is it total crap compared to VSAT, I think not somehow. ?

6. Why has Niall only mentioned the operators who can make 'fibre' available and totally disregarded the entire Irish WISP sector amongst whom there are now many worthies ?

All in all I found the article odd and imbalanced and somehow incomplete :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Two potential suppliers doesn't really constitute a choice, but we've been lucky in that one of the ISP's which did reply has been very positive about getting involved in the GBS area. They have been shppoing for fibre backhaul, however there will be no MAN's in the area until next year at the earliest from what I can gather. Therefore the 500mb reserved for the GBS groups will make little difference to us in the short term.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Speaking as someone whose is working with a number of GBS applicants
    O’Donnchu says his advice to group broadband schemes seeking wholesale broadband services is to shop around. “There are lots of alternatives out there – ESB, Bord Gáis, Eircom, Aurora, Esat BT and Chorus.
    Niall, next time you are changing the family car I recommend you shop around and get quotes from BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Lamborghini and Ferrari, I am sure you will find their pricing quite competitive.
    Both RTÉ and ESB also have significant tower infrastructure that no one is looking at.
    Been there, done that, and the price of the T-shirt is........, From ESB, tower space rental €12,500 per annum plus V.A.T. installation of radio €1150 plus V.A.T. per end. RTE, as it is a community based GBS tower space rental €4,500 per annum plus V.A.T. similiar figure to ESB for install costs, divided between 35 people its a bargain.
    As well as this E-Net have reserved some 500Mbps of capacity on the MAN network suitable for up to 150 group schemes.
    News to everyone including E-net

jbkenn

This disconnect between wht the government thinks is there and what the GBS schemes are told is why a GBS society is needed at this point in time.

Fair play to RTÉ though , they are the only tower owner willing to be reasonable . The ESB are loonies (or greedy loonies like their well known already privatised brethern ) .

Funny that because Nialls boss, Minister Dempsey, is the sole shareholder in both of those entities on our behalf .

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

From what I've heard the rental being charged by the ESB is 50% greater than that being asked by the Mobile Phone companies for access to their platforms. Is this another example of the ESB ramping up the profits in the hope of making their bosses big bucks through privatization?

M.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Most likely due to the volume of business that the mobile companies would give them. There's quite a difference between dealing with a group of enthusiasts wanting one tower and dealing with a company that will buy space on a thousand masts. Mind you, they could be charitable towards the enthusiasts, considering the ESB is state-owned and would support a state-sponsored scheme.

€4,500 split between 35 people works out at about €10+VAT a month, which doesn't sound all bad. 35 people is a small number to serve from a mast so it will always be challenging to get it work financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

Sponge Bob wrote:
    4. ENet have totally disregarded each and every GBS meeting hosted in different counties in the BMW area in the past month under the aegis of the Local Authority / pretend Regional Authority / Dept of Comms . ENet never attended ANY of these meetings while most of them were badly afflicted by hordes of diverted Eircom Winback scum handing out Flat Rate Signup CDs .

Enet had a rep at the Sligo presentation, a guy called John Lawlor, marketing director. He claimed that all pricing is on their website and is open for anyone to see and that their whole idea is they do everything in the open. (Believe it when I see it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

MrShadow wrote:
    Enet had a rep at the Sligo presentation, a guy called John Lawlor, marketing director. He claimed that all pricing is on their website and is open for anyone to see and that their whole idea is they do everything in the open. (Believe it when I see it)
    Its not easy to get to all of these meetings as they are all over the country and generally at night. e-net are a small team attend where invited (Sligo CoCo invited e-net. The DCMNR attend most meetings (Matt Collins). If you have any specific queries contact e-net directly. The fibre pricing is available on the website (except ethernet which is is at development stage)
    thegills

thegills wrote:
    If you have any specific queries contact e-net directly. The fibre pricing is available on the website (except ethernet which is is at development stage)

Its Here http://www.enet.ie/downloads/e-net_product_services_fees.pdf

But the DCMNR referred to bandwidth (a data service runnng over fibre delivered somewhere) and not to IRU and fibre lengths.

€2500 gets me 250m of a fibre pair for a year. I must light both ends, connect one end to a service and the other to backhaul of some sort if I am a GBS !

The fibre licence table is as clear as Muck ! I take it that it s a price per metre on a full ring around a MAN. So thats €3.45 x 40,000 m on the local MAN , €140k a year and the lighting problem is still there but a few LX Gbics should do it :)

Here are all their services, no mention of GBS

http://www.enet.ie/products.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Schure can't yez get yer own telephone point down in tesco for 1.50? All ye'll have to do is screw it into the fibre there and you're away. Don't they have all the wires colour coded for you and everything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

As well as this E-Net have reserved some 500Mbps of capacity on the MAN network suitable for up to 150 group schemes.

As part of the original tender. The DCMNR have reserved bandwidth on each MAN - 10% of the total capacity I *think*. This must be what is being referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Dcmnr have reserved it on behalf of the GBSs or told E-Net to hold it back and make it available?

If the DCMNR is a shareholder in ESB and RTE can they submit a proposal to offer reduced rates to GBS applicants legally speaking I mean

John

Advertisement