Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux and Hard drive

• 10-03-2005 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hello,

What is a Linux?
    Why would you down load this software to your xbox?
    What are the advantages or benefits of having this on your XBOX?

What is the normal hard drive in an xbox?
    Why would you want to install a much larger hard drive?
    What are the benefits of installing a much larger hard drive?

Thanks in advance, and can anybody recommend a good soldering Iron, there are 1'000's on ebay but I have no idea what type i'm looking for.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,839 ✭✭✭SteM

What is a Linux?
    Linux is a open source (free) operating system.

Why would you down load this software to your xbox?
    I guess to run your box as a FTP server or mail server or something.

What are the advantages or benefits of having this on your XBOX?
    None that I can see if you just want to play games.

What is the normal hard drive in an xbox?
    ?? 8GB maybe?

Why would you want to install a much larger hard drive?
    You can only install a larger HD if yo have your box chipped. You can't just swap over a small HD for a big HD like you would with a PC.

What are the benefits of installing a much larger hard drive?
    If you get your box upgraded you can store MP3s, video files, back up games which the smaller drive probably wouldn't have space to store.

Thanks in advance, and can anybody recommend a good soldering Iron, there are 1'000's on ebay but I have no idea what type i'm looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i have linux installed on my xbox and its so good i'll never set it up to play games again

it can play mpg, avi dvd mov asx films/tv programs on the telly fully remote controlled

it can convert a dvd to a xvid and save it to the drive in about 8 hrs
    this film uses less then 1 gig of the 120 gig drive

it can display my pics on the screen

can play mp3s

i can read boards and the weather on the screen (have to squint)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

People do likewise but use Xbox Media Center (XBMC), you can do majority of the below (cant encode movies, but you can do that on a PC since a xbox is only a 733).
    Xbox Media Center is also quicker to boot, and you dont need loads of space for it, less than 50mb.
    Dont think Ive ever used my xbox to play games in months, just watch it to watch Movies (Xvid/Divx/DVD) and listen to MP3s which i stream from my Linux storage box over my network.
    mukki wrote:
    i have linux installed on my xbox and its so good i'll never set it up to play games again

it can play mpg, avi dvd mov asx films/tv programs on the telly fully remote controlled

it can convert a dvd to a xvid and save it to the drive in about 8 hrs
    this film uses less then 1 gig of the 120 gig drive

it can display my pics on the screen

can play mp3s

i can read boards and the weather on the screen (have to squint)

Advertisement