Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Text Message Virus found

Options
  • 10-03-2005 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

http://www.fxcentre.com/news.asp?1127164

First ever text message virus found

Thursday, 10th March 2005 04.22pm

The first ever virus spread by SMS over mobile phones has been discovered in the US and poses a worldwide threat, anti-virus firms said today.

The virus - called SymbOS.commwarrior.a is aimed at smartphones based on Nokia's Series 60 platform, which is based on the Symbian operating system.

According to anti-virus vendor F-Secure, it spreads via multimedia messaging service (MMS) messages and possibly through vulnerability in Bluetooth capabilities.

The virus attempts to spread through the mobile phone owner's contact list and can reactivate itself at midnight on the 13th day of each month.

F-Secure noted that, while the virus has the potential to spread quickly, it is moving slowly for now. The company also said that initial indications are that the virus originated in Russia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

And I just bought a 6600 lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

What's the world coming to?

Now your phone isn't even safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

well it's an executable spread by MMS rather than a simple text message... and to get 'infected' one would have to accept the "are you sure you want to install this" type messages...
    Information on CommWarrior

these devices are really mini computers (rather than simple phones), and potentially as prone to malicious programs as your PC, so next time you receive an .sis file or strange/unexpected attachment, by any method Bluetooth/Infra Red/MMS etc. (unless you actually know and trust what it is) do what you should do faced with the same situation on your PC... (hopefully!) delete it immediately... rather than going though the steps required to install it...

that should also go as a warning to all those using cracked/warez apps, you never know what 'extra' has been put in there - the latest being Dampig.A, FSCaller crack trojan- get the version produced by the developer (paying for it if you are supposed to)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

FYI - in case you didn't know, Trendmicro are offering free mobile virus scanner and updates until June this year (I think) for smartphones based on symbian and windows mobile - see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Ehh i got the commwarrior virus because of stupidity

When you have it on you phone it tries to send itself to bluetooth enables devices that are in your area. Requests to send it every 30 secs or so. It also sends advertsments via mms.

but i knew how to get rid of it. Download a program called FExplorer http://my-symbian.com/7650/applications/applications.php?fldAuto=199&faq=2

Press and hold the Menu button. Select the Commwarrior application and press the 'C' button to close it.

Open FExplorer and go to C:

Go to System/Apps. Delete the folder named 'commwarrior'.
    Go to System/Recogs. Delete the file named 'commrec.mdl'.
    Go to System/Updates. Delete the files named 'comwarrior.exe', 'commrec.mdl', 'commw.sis'.

Do the same in E:

Now go to the Application Manager and remove Commwarrior

the steps were taken from a different site.

hope this helps anyone who got the virus

• Advertisement
Advertisement