Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Turismo 4, the thread

Options
  • 08-03-2005 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Hey just wonderin as the topic says, any shops bending the rules a little and sellin these tonight/this evening.

Comments

Xtravision wont be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

r ya positive? that was gonna be my best bet hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

eh i think i detected sarcasm in his post about xtravision

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Templecom broke the release date on Saturday, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I wanted to get this game early, then I found out yesterday that I'd pre-ordered it on play.com months ago(when I thought it was out soon) and they posted it out to me yesterday... which means I wont have it for at least a week now grrr.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

heggie wrote:
    Hey just wonderin as the topic says, any shops bending the rules a little and sellin these tonight/this evening.

GT4 is coming out tomorrow? WTF? I totally missed this. Was spending too much time in Matrix Online's beta. Apparently KOTOR2 is out for PC as well. Christ that's too many at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GT4 is coming out tomorrow? WTF? I totally missed this. Was spending too much time in Matrix Online's beta. Apparently KOTOR2 is out for PC as well. Christ that's too many at once.

yup it's out tomorrow according to www.gameplay.com

Cremo wrote:
    yup it's out tomorrow according to www.gameplay.com

Is it going to be out i Ireland tomorrow as well in Game, etc. or will we be needlessly waiting for a delayed release on Friday or next week or something?

Man that would be awesome to be out tomorrow. Just what I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

it is 100% out tomorrow in ireland.

Nah i wasnt being sarcastic :) We were specifically told not to break the release date.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Either it’s an improvement from Prologue, or I just didn’t give Prologue enough of chance, it seams the feeling of speed has being realistically improved (still nothing like Burnout, but that’s not what one should expect from a simulator). Although sometimes not as visibly polished other games (the cardboard cut-out people, don’t help), in other places the graphics are amazing for a racing game – from skyscrapers to mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Wasn't prologue just a glorified demo though.
    I'm tempted to pick this up this week, but I've far too many assignments due to be playing games. I've already gotten addicted to Sega Rally 2 in the college and that's eating into my time and pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv just rented it out now i find the turning fair hard any one have any good tips for turning or getting of fast at the start

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Yeah, do the driving school or even just the cornering bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

gimme burnout 3 anyday. i have absolutely no fun in gran turismo. too dull for ,y tastes

Well I don't see anyone talking about it so I'll add this.

Great game, superb graphics which totally unfaltable. No damage model of course (but hey, neither did the Lotus games on Amiga because they were afraid it would damage Lotus's reputation - I suspect the same here that manufacturers don't want to see a wrecked SLR !!!).

Courses: I've only played a little bit - the B license and some basic beginner and professional events. El Capitan is excellent and I haven't tried Nurburgring yet. Nurburgring is meant to be hard as hell in game (and in real life!). They are more varied I think that the old GT courses which are also included.

Cars: ****loads of them. More than I've seen in any racing game. Plus, you can do customisation not alone from a the custom shop but also the manufacturers. Really just about endless what you can do here it seems.

Music: a bit "new rock"ish. I would have preferred more dance/trance stuff as the music could easily have come from Tony Hawks or some EA game which is a pity. There are different soundtracks to the US and Jap versions I don't know which the EU has.

Gameplay: I don't have a steering wheel because good ones cost over €100. However, it's a great feel to playing this game even on DualShock. You have to really to it with manual gears as you miss have the experience and thrill and feeling of control with auto gears. Other drivers do get aggressive with you.

It's GT and prob the best GT there is. It's an old concept of gameplay but it still stands out. Last driving I got was Burnout 3 and it's refreshing to have a good *game* to play instead of a "Dude! Cool! Boom!" Batman The Caped Crusader style driving game.

I'd recommend it to anyone who likes driving games and has a PS2. It's about as mature a driving game you can get without going for the "simulator" too extensively and without being too arcadey - I think it's balance makes it a great game in the traditional sense.

8 out of 10 chicken nuggets. Points off for being a sequel of excessive similarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

of course it will be similar lol because thats what gran turismo series is plain and simple gran turismo

OK, correction about my music comment: there are 97 tracks on the disc. I just found the Jukebox place on the GT map. It includes all 32 tracks from US and Jap releases. Plus and this is the big one: It has Van Halen's Panama on it.

So overall, excellent music choices, from James Brown (classic GT) to some classical and rock.

Edit: And Judas Priest! How cool is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Three words, Nitrous Oxide System, good brakes will be required though.

The licences are getting on my tits though i.e. following a Skyline (don't pass it or hit it, you fail) pace car around various tracks in reallly slow cars that have asm turned on, it won't let you accelerate while turing :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Gaid1n

I've had it since last Fri. Great game. There's a load of hard stuff in it to keep you going, like the Driving missions, where you either complete them or you don't.

The handling has been made a bit more realistic than GT3, ie. if you put 2 wheels on the grass you'r gonna deffo spin, not like in GT3. It also feel WAY faster than GT3, there's some great wind whistling noises and the cars wobble an awful lot at high speed.

Plus it has the Nurburgring!!!
    Nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Tis good alright!

Didnt think they would be able to improve on GT3's graphics, but they have. I dont exactly know whats better, it just looks... cleaner.

Driving is superb too, the sense of speed is great, especailly on the new narrow tracks.

Speaking of tracks, what i've driven of the nurburgring in licenses has been fantastic. As well as rome and that other narrow twisty one beside the sea.

Cant wait to go home home (my brother has the logitech wheel...not the new one though) and give it a quick blast

Also the photo mode is fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

It has Van Halen's Panama on it.

If there was even a slight doubt in my mind about not getting this game, it has now been extinguished. What a great song :-D

hey lads is this a good price for a Logitech Driving Force wheel 132.00 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

But that is the old one he is looking for the one that was made for gt4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Sorry about that, post deleted.

its the Logitech Driving Force Pro For PS2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The fact thats there's still no car damage makes it a no for me - why bother with all that fancy driving and racing lines crap that they go on about in the manual when you can just take a corner by smashing into another car to reduce speed and then skate around using them as a barrier against the wall? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Is it just me or are the license tests much easier? I only started playing yesterday and I've nearly got the international A already. That took me weeks with the last one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement