Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SF-SDLP tied on 20%

Options
13»

Comments

MadsL wrote:
    I take your point Earthman, but the suggestion I am refuting is that the FPTP system is somehow inherently 'undemocratic'. This is blatently absurd. Now, don't get me wrong, I know that there are some deep flaws with the UK system, but that is true with ANY electoral system bar a open forum where to be elected a 51% majority is required and vote is mandatory. PR is equally likely to produce a winner from a minority vote, even including transfers.
    Well just to add that I doubt if the Tories would have been in power in the UK for so long in the 80's right up to the mid 90's only for first past the post and thats not a good endorsement of it.
    Iirc I recall reading somewhere FF lobbied a few times in the 70's to change our voting system to first past the post.It would have favoured them as a lot more of them than their opposition topped the polls historically.

By the way while this is kind of related to the subject at hand it is not the subject of this thread, so wearing my new moderators hat,I'd urge a return to discussing SF Vs the SDLP in this thread guys thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Going by todays by-election result in meath for sinn fein, people still have faith in their abillty to deliver for the peace process and looks like they have rode the recent storm, although i accept the fact that the meath by- election is a local thing based on their candidate being popular on the ground but it looks good for the westminister election.

Advertisement