Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hoops fans react angrily to Mo invite

• 10-03-2005 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

It seems Judas Johnson will not be forgiven.. :D

Hoops fans react angrily to Mo invite

March 10, 2005

Celtic fans have vented their anger on the organisers of a charity match between the Old Firm rivals at Hampden Park later this month after Mo Johnston was invited to figure in the game.

Former Bhoys favourite Johnston, who famously turned his back on Celtic to join Rangers in 1989, has been forging a successful career in coaching circles in the United States since the end of his playing days.

He has been invited to play half the game with Celtic, managed by Bhoys great Billy McNeill, and half with Rangers, who will be under the guidance of John Greig and Mark Hateley.

But the wounds inflicted by Johnston’s “betrayal” 16 years ago have not yet healed, it seems, and some Celtic fans have declared that they will boycott the March 23rd game, and instead donate directly to the charities concerned.

Craig Burley, John Collins, Lubo Moravcik and Danny McGrane are just some of the stars of yesteryear set to turn out for Celtic, while back in the blue of Rangers will be Brian Laudrup, Paul Gascoigne, Ally McCoist and Andy Goram.

Whether the controversial Johnston, currently a coach at New York/New Jersey Metrostars, joins the array of past stars, however, remains to be seen.

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/celtic/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=16405

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

In paper other week he was going to play a half for each, funny that hoops fans being bitter like that, would never have expected it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pretty pathetic behaviour by the Celtic fans really, it's a charity match after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

You have no idea what Mo Johstone done to Celtic and their fans,there he was at hampden watching Celtic beat Rangers who he was to sign a day or two later and then we know the rest.

Edit - Keep it civil or you are out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Pretty pathetic behaviour by the Celtic fans really, it's a charity match after all.
    totally agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

If he was playing the full match in a Rangers shirt it would be fine but no Celtic fan wants to see this fella in a Celtic shirt. Just imagine if Roy Keane was allowed play for England after he left us at the World Cup. He decided to play for England and played against us a few times and scored. Don't go slating the Celtic fans until you put yourself in their shoes.

• Advertisement

Badabing wrote:
    You have no idea what Mo Johstone done to Celtic and their fans,there he was at hampden watching Celtic beat Rangers who he was to sign a day or two later and then we know the rest.

Could be worse Ince wore a Man Utd shirt before signing for them , its football you always hate when your star player leaves under bad circumstances. But its a charity match ffs.
    Don't go slating the Celtic fans until you put yourself in their shoes.
    Players leave clubs for better offers, i would bet there is not one fan who posts on boards who hates someone for leaving, still a charity match for charity.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    still a charity match for charity.
    Aye and I doubt anyone would boycott the match, Johnson will just get a harsh time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The thing was johnstone was a great player for celtic himself and Mcclair were brillant goal scorers, rangers had won the double and we beat them in the cup final and we all thought that celtic could go on and compete again in the league but him signing for rangers just compounded the fact that souness and murray were building a quality team which transpired for 9 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

it seems, and some Celtic fans have declared that they will boycott the March 23rd game, and instead donate directly to the charities concerned.

its not as if they are not giving to charity. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

eirebhoy wrote:
    If he was playing the full match in a Rangers shirt it would be fine but no Celtic fan wants to see this fella in a Celtic shirt. Just imagine if Roy Keane was allowed play for England after he left us at the World Cup. He decided to play for England and played against us a few times and scored. Don't go slating the Celtic fans until you put yourself in their shoes.

With respect that a completely different scenario. All johnson did was transfer to another club . it would be more like The Sol Campbell to Arsenal story. You don't see Tottenham fans going on about that years later, well not as bitterly as the Celtic fans are anyway.

{WWM being the possible exception but he assures us he's getting help}

BTW Celtic FC sold Johnson to Rangers so unlike totenham the recieved cash for him. It was pre Bosman as well so I assume they could have held on to him if they wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

A lot of people love to get the digs in eh? Here are some facts for those that think Celtic fans are scum for a proposed 'boycott' of a charity match

1. Some Celtic fans who have already bought tickets announced their displeasure to the organisers about inviting MJ to play 1 half for Rangers and 1 half for Celtic. They have stated that they would rather not turn up but are not looking for refunds. Effectively, they have paid the money to charity anyway

2. Some Celtic fans who where going to buy tickets but objected to MJ playing for Celtic have stated that they will buy tickets and not turn up thus they will have contributed to the charity

3. Until this 'mountain out of a molehill', not very many people knew about this match and all the publicity has ensured that a lot more people will be buying tickets

4. Some Celtic fans, who have bought tickets, announced their displeasure to the organisers but who were willing to atttend the match

5. There is nothing to stop MJ playing the full game for Rangers!!

If some Celtic fans do not wish travel to a game to see MJ in a Celtic jersey, that is their right. You may think it is petty but there are a lot of petty things in football and it does not just affect Celtic fans.

I, personally, am delighted he is not going to play for Celtic in the match and I fall into number 4 above.

The Muppet wrote:
    BTW Celtic FC sold Johnson to Rangers so unlike totenham the recieved cash for him. It was pre Bosman as well so I assume they could have held on to him if they wanted.
    He actually left Celtic for Nantes. He agreed to join Celtic again but changed his mind at the last minute and joined the biggest cross rival in the world at the time IMO. It was probably Britains most controversial transfer.

BTW, for those who don't know. He pulled out of the match today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:
    With respect that a completely different scenario. All johnson did was transfer to another club . it would be more like The Sol Campbell to Arsenal story. You don't see Tottenham fans going on about that years later, well not as bitterly as the Celtic fans are anyway.

{WWM being the possible exception but he assures us he's getting help}

Think again Tom. Spurs fans hate Campbell with a vengence. I've no time for him, but I wouldn't go so far as to make a point of boycotting a charity match (regardless of whether I donated to the charity or not) just because he took part. To do so invites bad publicity, and detracts from the purpose of the match itself.

Think again Tom. Spurs fans hate Campbell with a vengence. I've no time for him, but I wouldn't go so far as to make a point of boycotting a charity match (regardless of whether I donated to the charity or not) just because he took part.
    I wouldn't boycot the match either but he would not only have been taking part, he'd be playing a half for Celtic. Can you imagine Sol Campbell playing a half for Spurs in a charity match? There'd certainly be a few Spurs fans threatening a boycott. :)

Anyway, as Dub_in_glasgow said, the charity bit doesn't make a difference as its not the money thats the problem. The fans would even have paid the equivelent of a ticket to charity.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I wouldn't boycot the match either but he would not only have been taking part, he'd be playing a half for Celtic. Can you imagine Sol Campbell playing a half for Spurs in a charity match? There'd certainly be a few Spurs fans threatening a boycott. :)

And they'd be wrong.

It was not a BOYCOTT.... It was paying the money and maybe not turning up. There is a difference. If somebody wants to pay their money and not turn up, that is their right. Just because someone here deems that it is wrong does not make it actually wrong!

And they'd be wrong.
    Some people are so pissed off with Johnson that there's no point in going to a match watching him in a Celtic shirt when it will probably just put them in a bad mood. There's plenty of people who wouldn't go to see Ireland play in Celtic park for one reason or another, that match is also for charity.

eirebhoy wrote:
    He actually left Celtic for Nantes. He agreed to join Celtic again but changed his mind at the last minute and joined the biggest cross rival in the world at the time IMO. It was probably Britains most controversial transfer.

BTW, for those who don't know. He pulled out of the match today.

I thought there was some secret "anti bigotry crack assault ninja squad" at the time who felt he should join Rangers to try dissolve the hatred slightly, didnt work. There was an article about it at the time irc.

Very odd how some Irish Celtic fans here are justifying this, jesus if i was like that i would be booing or not going to 90% of Pats matches every week. Guess im not bitter enough (altho seansoutt would disagree)

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:

Very odd how some Irish Celtic fans here are justifying this, jesus if i was like that i would be booing or not going to 90% of Pats matches every week. Guess im not bitter enough (altho seansoutt would disagree)

kdjac

Well, unfortuneately, it is hard to get worked up about anything to do with St. Pats anyway :p

It was not a BOYCOTT.... It was paying the money and maybe not turning up. There is a difference. If somebody wants to pay their money and not turn up, that is their right. Just because someone here deems that it is wrong does not make it actually wrong!

And just because somehere here deems it right does not actually make it right. See what I did there?
    But the wounds inflicted by Johnston’s “betrayal” 16 years ago have not yet healed, it seems, and some Celtic fans have declared that they will boycott the March 23rd game, and instead donate directly to the charities concerned.

Says boycott there. And I acknowledged that they're giving to the charity, but why make a song and dance about it? Why not just give the bloody money and stay quiet about it?

That said, the organisers must have known there'd be a negative response to Johnson in a Celtic shirt, which makes me think they wanted the publicity in the first place.

• Advertisement

And just because somehere here deems it right does not actually make it right. See what I did there?

Yes but please explain why you think it is wrong for someone who feels strongly about the issue and makes a decision to buy a ticket (thus ensuring support for the purpose of the match) and not go to the game?
    Says boycott there. And I acknowledged that they're giving to the charity, but why make a song and dance about it? Why not just give the bloody money and stay quiet about it?

This was no boycott. I think you will find that Ally McCoist is the one who brought this out in the public domain after he heard from the organsiers that there were some complaints about MJ playing for Celtic from some disgruntled Celtic fans who bought tickets.
    That said, the organisers must have known there'd be a negative response to Johnson in a Celtic shirt, which makes me think they wanted the publicity in the first place.

See point 3 in my post yesterday

Yes but please explain why you think it is wrong for someone who feels strongly about the issue and makes a decision to buy a ticket (thus ensuring support for the purpose of the match) and not go to the game?

See the second quote in your last post.

Yes but please explain why you think it is wrong for someone who feels strongly about the issue

What Issue? As far as i can tell there is or at least should not be an issue. Celtic sold Johnson, their interest ended there, whereever he decided to go after that was up to him. Paul Ince ended up at Liverpool after he was sold by United yet there is little annimosity against him at OT. Sure he got stick for it when they played United but that was only from the teeth out there is no widspread deep seated hatred of him as is apparent with the Celtic fans re: Johnson.

The Muppet wrote:
    What Issue?

You know what the issue is so stop pretending
    As far as i can tell there is or at least should not be an issue.

I have put the important bit in bold
    Celtic sold Johnson, their interest ended there, whereever he decided to go after that was up to him. Paul Ince ended up at Liverpool after he was sold by United yet there is little annimosity against him at OT. Sure he got stick for it when they played United but that was only from the teeth out there is no widspread deep seated hatred of him as is apparent with the Celtic fans re: Johnson.

You have now decided to ignore the post eirebhoy made explaining the situation at that time

Here it is again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

]

pretend im really stoopid ok, and explain it to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sadly, as it always is with the Old Firm, the issue is sectarianism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

It was an opportunity for both Celtic and Rangers, and particularly their fans, to show that sectarianism is no longer the problem it once was (I know it is but at least they could pretend to the outside world.) No matter what he did before and after, MoJo was a tremendous player for both Celtic and Rangers - and here was an opportunity for both sets of fans, for once, to be united in their appreciation. Rightly or wrongly, the appearance to the outside world is that the Celtic fans complained out of bigotry. I know Celtic fans will say its only because he played for our biggest rivals, and has nothing to do with a catholic playing for a team of prods, but TBH that rings hollow.

Personally, and regardless of whatever money was involved, I can only have admiration for Souness and more particularly Johnston himself, for being the first catholic to play for Rangers. That took courage.

Sadly, as it always is with the Old Firm, the issue is sectarianism.

So what is sectarian about not wanting MJ to play for Celtic again??

It was an opportunity for both Celtic and Rangers, and particularly their fans, to show that sectarianism is no longer the problem it once was (I know it is but at least they could pretend to the outside world.)

How does this issue relate to sectarianism?
    No matter what he did before and after, MoJo was a tremendous player for both Celtic and Rangers - and here was an opportunity for both sets of fans, for once, to be united in their appreciation.

Obviously the wounds of betrayal from MJ run deep
    Rightly or wrongly, the appearance to the outside world is that the Celtic fans complained out of bigotry.

If that is how people choose to interpret this 'mountain out of a molehill, that is their perogative. I fully believe they would be wrong.
    I know Celtic fans will say its only because he played for our biggest rivals, and has nothing to do with a catholic playing for a team of prods, but TBH that rings hollow.

Hollow to people who want to believe it is all about sectarianism. Sectarianism was brought into this thread only during the last few posts. Please explain how a Celtic fan not wanting MJ play for Celtic is sectarian.
    Personally, and regardless of whatever money was involved, I can only have admiration for Souness and more particularly Johnston himself, for being the first catholic to play for Rangers. That took courage.

Very nice but that has nothing to do with this

• Advertisement

[/url]

I have my suspicion at what issue is all right as do most of the other posters here. I just wanted to see what your interpretaion of it would be. If you don't want to answer properly thats your choice.

i think most of us would say its down to sheer hatred of Mo Johnson because he went to a better team.

although seriously, youd think someone might say to those who are gravely offended by a charity match to grow up and stop living in the past.

The Muppet wrote:
    I have my suspicion at what issue is all right as do most of the other posters here. I just wanted to see what your interpretaion of it would be. If you don't want to answer properly thats your choice.

(1) Think of your best player who loved your team from a boy and proclaimed his undying love for the team

(2) Think of your fiercest footballing rival and double the ferocity

The player in (1) is sold to a foreign team but a couple of years later he professes that he would love to join back to his boyhood heroes. To the supporter, this is a match made in heaven again and he is paraded as your new signing. He pleases the crowd by pushing all the right buttons for the support and he seems genuine.

Unbeknown to the support, he has not actually signed and your fiercest rival have now stepped in and had a clandesine meet with the player in (1). He is then offered more money to turn his back on the support and club he 'loves'.

Player in (1) betrays his word and the word he gave to the support by snubbing his boyhood team and signing for your fiercest rivals

That is why he is known as Judas and why some Celtic fans still have no time for the man.

(1) Think of your best player who loved your team from a boy and proclaimed his undying love for the team

(2) Think of your fiercest footballing rival and double the ferocity

The player in (1) is sold to a foreign team but a couple of years later he professes that he would love to join back to his boyhood heroes. To the supporter, this is a match made in heaven again and he is paraded as your new signing. He pleases the crowd by pushing all the right buttons for the support and he seems genuine.

Unbeknown to the support, he has not actually signed and your fiercest rival have now stepped in and had a clandesine meet with the player in (1). He is then offered more money to turn his back on the support and club he 'loves'.

Player in (1) betrays his word and the word he gave to the support by snubbing his boyhood team and signing for your fiercest rivals

That is why he is known as Judas and why some Celtic fans still have no time for the man.

If that's your honest reprensenattaion of the dept of the issue do you not think the response from Celtic fans is way OTT. Organising a Boycott of a Charity match is a bit of an over reaction just because you have no time for one of the players. I'm afraid the issue runs deeper than that and we all know that.

yeah, its kinda like sein feinn saying they dont have links with paramilitaries.

you can keep saying it, but you know, we just wont believe it!

The Muppet wrote:
    Paul Ince ended up at Liverpool after he was sold by United yet there is little annimosity against him at OT. Sure he got stick for it when they played United but that was only from the teeth out there is no widspread deep seated hatred of him as is apparent with the Celtic fans re: Johnson.
    Whatever anyone may say, the rivalry between Man Utd and Liverpool is absolutley nothing like the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers in the 80's and I doubt we'll ever see a rivalry like it in British football for as long as we live. There is more to it than just joining Rangers, I don't know all the info, may ADIG does. People also seem to be ignoring the fact that Mo was going to be playing for Celtic in this match.
    Organising a Boycott of a Charity match...
    A c'mon now.

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    If that's your honest reprensenattaion of the dept of the issue do you not think the response from Celtic fans is way OTT.

It is my honest belief. It is also the belief of the many many Celtic fans I know. Why people inisist on bringing sectarianism into it beyond me and it really shows their lack of understanding.
    Organising a Boycott of a Charity match is a bit of an over reaction

It would be OTT if it were true. There was nobody organising anything. It was Celtic fans who let the organisers of the match know how they feel. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    I'm afraid the issue runs deeper than that and we all know that.

You obviously know a lot more than me and Celtic fans I know so share it

hey, its simple.
    some of us think its ridiculous.
    some of us think its the most natural thing in the world to do.

let it go...

It is my honest belief. It is also the belief of the many many Celtic fans I know. Why people inisist on bringing sectarianism into it beyond me and it really shows their lack of understanding

offtopic here but,

why do you have a priest in your sig with celtic and then say that its not really about religion.
    i dont understand this about celtic fans. its either coz they hate protestants or they hate the english (from an irish point of view)
    im sure the scots support them because thy are the local team

hey, its simple.
    some of us think its ridiculous.
    some of us think its the most natural thing in the world to do.

let it go...

I will let it go after I go for my dinner

I think the slagging and innuendo that is directed at Celtic fans in this thread quite unbelievable. This issue has barely touched the media here (other than some of the sensationalist rags). Most of the media reports it as follows

1. MJ invited to play in Charity match for Celtic and Rangers
    2. Some Celtic fans become disgruntled that he is to play for Celtic as they see him as a traitor
    3. MJ not now playing
    4. Story ends

I don't hate protestants or the English (well, I like the English national team to fail in football, and rugby)...

BTW - The priest in his sig is an Irish priest. Without him there would be no Celtic.

• Advertisement

offtopic here but,

why do you have a priest in your sig with celtic and then say that its not really about religion.
    i dont understand this about celtic fans. its either coz they hate protestants or they hate the english (from an irish point of view)
    im sure the scots support them because thy are the local team

My sig shows who set up Celtic... An Irish monk. The religious element of the sig means nothing. Personally, I have no time for religion in any guise (other than football as a religion) but to deny who set Celtic up is because he was a monk is just petty. I could photoshop out the crucifix but that would be just silly.

As an Irishman living in Glasgow, there was no other team to support in Britain other than Celtic (although I have gone to Burnden Park and Old Trafford quite a few times when I was living in Bolton)

My sig shows who set up Celtic... An Irish monk. The religious element of the sig means nothing.

so why have it there? i mean, i dont know any other football team that would have an image like that, if it didnt have a significant meaning. so i find it a little strange that for someone with no religious beliefs, that you would havea religious image.
    Personally, I have no time for religion in any guise (other than football as a religion) but to deny who set Celtic up is because he was a monk is just petty. I could photoshop out the crucifix but that would be just silly.

yes it would. who said anythiing about denying. i just wonder why its important enough for it to be there. again, the religious string is tugging here.
    As an Irishman living in Glasgow, there was no other team to support in Britain other than Celtic (although I have gone to Burnden Park and Old Trafford quite a few times when I was living in Bolton)

well, fo course, there are hundreds of team s you can support living in the UK. sure in glasgow there must be loads, not least of all Rangers. and Motherwell is only down the M74 (i think)

look, no offense, you have a sig with a priest in it, in a thread where you are talking about a 'judas' becuase he went to play for another team with a different religious back ground.
    i mean, celtic is in scotland, it plays in the scottish league. its not irish. i may have been set up by an irish man, but you know what, so have many things. hell, spurs is a jewish club, doesnt mean i want to bve jewish!

it just all smacks of religious bigotry to me. and thats my honest opinion. i think most irish supporters of celtic do so because their mates do, who do because their da's do etc. but really, there is no reason to support a scottish team.
    i just cant see why people arent honest about it, and say, yeah, i support celtic, and i fúcking hate rangers, becasue really thats just the way things are.
    perhaps when you think about it, its all a bit silly and people get embarassed, who knows?
    still, i could go on about it all day, but i wont. i was merely curious about the religious imagry. although, im sure there are more utd supporters inthe land, i bet 99% of them dont give a flying monkey who started the club, and probably dont know either.
    must admit, i dont know who founded spurs. and you know what?
    yep, youre right.
    i dont care either :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Whatever anyone may say, the rivalry between Man Utd and Liverpool is absolutley nothing like the rivalry between Celtic and Rangers in the 80's and I doubt we'll ever see a rivalry like it in British football for as long as we live.

You're dead right and as I said before we all know(though some of us refuse to accept) what that difference is. As we saw in the recent documentary It goes a lot deeper than just football rivalry.

Celtic fans can deny that all they like but that is the reality of the situation and before they can tackle the problem they have to acknowledge that it exists first.

so why have it there? i mean, i dont know any other football team that would have an image like that, if it didnt have a significant meaning. so i find it a little strange that for someone with no religious beliefs, that you would havea religious image.
    TBF, if I supported Panathinaikos or Boca Juniors I'd be extremely proud of their Irish links and if there was a pic available (like the one in the sig) of the Irishman who founded the clubs I'd be using it. Of course, I don't support either so couldn't care less. :)

lol, i know about the boca junior one, i wasnt aware that panathinaikos was started by an irish man.

i dont know, theres something in my mind that im trying to say, but i cant get it out. ah, it will come eventually. i just dont understand why the irish support celtic so passionately, when apart from some irish bloke 'founded' the club, theres not much else. a few players a few managers but nothing else. i mean, leeds had half the irish team at one stage.

no, its defaintely the religious or nationalistic thing that i think is what its about. i just wish i could put into words what is im trying to say. blah, been like this all day :)

lol, i know about the boca junior one, i wasnt aware that panathinaikos was started by an irish man.

i dont know, theres something in my mind that im trying to say, but i cant get it out. ah, it will come eventually. i just dont understand why the irish support celtic so passionately, when apart from some irish bloke 'founded' the club, theres not much else. a few players a few managers but nothing else. i mean, leeds had half the irish team at one stage.

no, its defaintely the religious or nationalistic thing that i think is what its about. i just wish i could put into words what is im trying to say. blah, been like this all day :)
    I support Celtic because it has been passed down through the family. I love anything Irish though. Its really hard to explain. I'd have interest in an Irish jigsaw in Zimbabwe and when I see scenes like this I'd say I'd be suppporting Celtic whether it was passed through my family or not:
    http://www.bostontims.com/seville/14.jpg

It sent down my spine looking at all the Irish flags in Seville that night.

Right back now after my dinner :)

The sig is not offensive, I am extremely proud of the reason Celtic was founded and I found that image that embodies the founder of Celtic with Celtic greats in the picture (minus MJ :p ) as a good sig.

yes it would. who said anythiing about denying. i just wonder why its important enough for it to be there. again, the religious string is tugging here.

There is nothing I can do that changes the fact that Celtic were founded by an Irishman who happened to be a monk. The reasons for the foundation of Celtic are something to be proud of IMO. There is no ulterior motive behind the sig and other than replying to certain people here, I have not brought sectarianism into anything I have discussed about Celtic.

well, fo course, there are hundreds of team s you can support living in the UK. sure in glasgow there must be loads, not least of all Rangers. and Motherwell is only down the M74 (i think)

No really, there was no other team that I could support. I live 3 miles from Celtic Park!!
    look, no offense, you have a sig with a priest in it, in a thread where you are talking about a 'judas' becuase he went to play for another team with a different religious back ground.

No offence taken, it is obvious that certain posters here cannot distinguish Celtic from sectarianism and to me, that shows their lack of understanding of Celtic FC.
    i mean, celtic is in scotland, it plays in the scottish league. its not irish. i may have been set up by an irish man, but you know what, so have many things. hell, spurs is a jewish club, doesnt mean i want to bve jewish!

Celtic was set up to help poor Irish immigrants in Glasgow. The whole ethos of the club is something to be proud of IMO. The reason the name was chosen was to encompass the Celtic people. Supporting another club in the UK seems like 2nd best to me. How come everyone recognises the ethos of a club like Barcelona and applauds it as something different. Yet, Celtic supporters get the inquisition.
    it just all smacks of religious bigotry to me. and thats my honest opinion. i think most irish supporters of celtic do so because their mates do, who do because their da's do etc. but really, there is no reason to support a scottish team.

??? And what reason do the tens of thousands of Irish people have for supporting an English team. why do you support a Scottish team and an English team?
    i just cant see why people arent honest about it, and say, yeah, i support celtic, and i fúcking hate rangers, becasue really thats just the way things are.

Most Celtic fans will tell you that. What they will not say is 'I support Celtic because I hate Rangers'. Thay will not say that it will not be true
    perhaps when you think about it, its all a bit silly and people get embarassed, who knows?
    still, i could go on about it all day, but i wont. i was merely curious about the religious imagry. although, im sure there are more utd supporters inthe land, i bet 99% of them dont give a flying monkey who started the club, and probably dont know either.
    must admit, i dont know who founded spurs. and you know what?
    yep, youre right.
    i dont care either :)

Some people care, some people don't. why should I get 90 questions because I do care?

Right back now after my dinner :)

The sig is not offensive, I am extremely proud of the reason Celtic was founded and I found that image that embodies the founder of Celtic with Celtic greats in the picture (minus MJ :p ) as a good sig.

There is nothing I can do that changes the fact that Celtic were founded by an Irishman who happened to be a monk. The reasons for the foundation of Celtic are something to be proud of IMO. There is no ulterior motive behind the sig and other than replying to certain people here, I have not brought sectarianism into anything I have discussed about Celtic.

No really, there was no other team that I could support. I live 3 miles from Celtic Park!!

No offence taken, it is obvious that certain posters here cannot distinguish Celtic from sectarianism and to me, that shows their lack of understanding of Celtic FC.

Celtic was set up to help poor Irish immigrants in Glasgow. The whole ethos of the club is something to be proud of IMO. The reason the name was chosen was to encompass the Celtic people. Supporting another club in the UK seems like 2nd best to me. How come everyone recognises the ethos of a club like Barcelona and applauds it as something different. Yet, Celtic supporters get the inquisition.

??? And what reason do the tens of thousands of Irish people have for supporting an English team. why do you support a Scottish team and an English team?

Most Celtic fans will tell you that. What they will not say is 'I support Celtic because I hate Rangers'. Thay will not say that it will not be true

Some people care, some people don't. why should I get 90 questions because I do care?

dude, i think you are getting the wrong end of the stick.
    i am not attacking you. dont get defensive.
    im asking because i want to know.
    ive had this discussion with people before, and i still dont think i know what it is imlooking for.

but i will tell you a little story. i used to owrk in ibm, where there were 4 or 5 guys who were celtic supporters. now these werent your run of the mill, hey were irish supporters.
    these guys were hardcore season ticket holders. these guys were hard core nationalists, had affiliations with sein feinn, and one or two of them, went a little further, if you know what i mean. now 2 of these guys hated me. with a passion. becuase on my first day on the job, i joked and said i was a rangers support. one of them had to fight back the effort to not spit on me.
    for them, ever weekend on the terrace was a battle with the hun bástards, the 'protestant' bastards.
    i had to listen to rebel songs, and 'RA songs and all that shíte. so you may understand where i tend to get my view points on these sorts of thigns. and they all had the exact same excuses and things to say as the 'nationalists' on the politics forum funnily enough :)

but i am not attacking you for supporting a club. i have never put down anyone for supporting a club (except man utd, and thats mostly coz all their fans are scum ;) - thats a joke! hear me now! a joke!)

i often question someones alligence and do you think a lot of irish celtic supporters could give a good answer, apart from 'their irish' if i said whydo you support celtic. do you thinhk they could distinguish out the sectarianism?

i dont.

i support spurs. ive done so since i was 4. thats 27 years ago. my old man played for charlton, but he was always a spurs fan. and thats why im a spurs fan. yep, its that easy. im following my old mans tradition. besides, we were one of the best teams in europe and went on to win the uefa cup and the FA cup two years running when i was only 7 :)

so im not questioning your allegance to your team. you can support accrington stanley for all i give a monekys :)

however, i do think its poor form to say you will stay away just becasue you dont like some bloke who going to play :)
    and thats my opinion.

oh, by the way, i never said the sig was offensive.
    /holds up hands.
    no foul ref!

i support rangers because i am a protestant, and all through my years when i mived to ireland, i got slagged of for being a protestant bástard. which is a little harsh when youre 10 years old, and just goes to show how racist and bigoted the irish can be.
    but i eventually got fed up and started supporting rangers when they started winning the league every year, so that any time someone mentioned my religion (by birth only, i dont practise, and have no interst), i would just fire back that it was great, winning all those league titles up in scotland, and it would shut people the fúck up.
    and that is truthfully why i support rangers.
    becuase of sectarian comments.
    ironic, no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement