Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's afghanistan doing these days?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

sovtek wrote:
    That Guardian link is truly terrifying.
    It really makes a lie out of this crap that even "liberals" are spouting now that "Bush may have been right...look at Israel, Saudi Arabia and Egypt now"...
    If this isn't what is popularly reffered to as fascism then I honestly don't know what more people need to hear.

Afghanistan was a sham fromt he very start.
    The now Afghani government (Northern Alliance at the time) locked three thousand suspected Taliban fighters in lorry containers and drove them out into the middle of nowhere and left them to sufficate.
    I never heard of anyone ever being charged over this infact the story pretty much dissapeared completely.
    Its said that American Special forces were in the area at the time but did not get involved to stop it, how true this is though is anyones guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

ionapaul wrote:
    Funny what people can be nostalgic for!
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050317/ap_on_re_eu/spain_franco_statue_1

Edit: I know I earlier promised NEVER to give my opinion again :) but I can't resist. I hope that the American / NATO forces and American-trainied government army can eventually ease out the warlords over the next few years. Obviously overcoming a tribal (seems almost pre-feudal) system of 'big men' is no easy task.
    lol... those 'tribal warlords' are American trained too you know

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

true wrote:
    THINGS ARE IMPROVING.
    ionapaul wrote:
    THINGS ARE IMPROVING IN AFGANISTAN.

What is IMPROVING? The drug supply to the west? Warloards' living conditions?
    The International Narcotics Control Board reports that the opium crop in Afghanistan - which is the source of more than 90% of the heroin sold on Britain's streets - reached a bumper 4,200 tonnes, up 800 tonnes on the previous year.

The rise is a blow to Tony Blair who told the Labour party conference in 2000 that the war against the Taliban was an opportunity to eradicate the poppy harvest which is the source of three-quarters of all the world's heroin.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/afghanistan/story/0,1284,1428288,00.html

If the price of a flooded market is passed on to the punters, Blair might just get "the drug vote" - after all, he did partly cause it.

Advertisement