Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Felt Roof - Advice Please

Options
  • 10-03-2005 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Following a recent roof problem on the tiled section of my house, it was commented to me by the repairer that I need to replace my felt roof.

The area is approximately 9ftwidex27ftlong is is above a side extension to the house.

Firstly, is there a normal lifetime to a felt roof, I have heard of a 10year span?
    The one I have does have a reflective coating, do these coatings help much?

Any approximate idea how much this area would be to replace with felt again?
    Does anyone have recommendation to alternative approaches (something longer lasting) and the approx difference in price? :confused:

Thanks in Advance
    Redman

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

You need Rooferpete's help on this one friend.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi redman,

I have a kinda rule about posting directly on roofing subjects, conflict of interest being one and tons of spam the other.

I think I can say that using the term Torch On Felt is about equal to calling a Rolls Royce and a Mini "Cars".

Yes the solar reflective coatings do add to the life of your roof provided you have a good roof to start with.

As to flat or low slope roofs being good for ten years, I did a maintenance survey on a roof in Drogheda that I fitted over twenty years ago, because it receives general maintenance like a clean up and the solar reflective coating refreshed every five years it is as good as the day we fitted it.

There are different products but they are usually more expensive on small roof areas, feel free to expand on the reason given for an upgrade, you can email photos if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    I have a question can i put a velux window on a roof with norman sheeting(spelling is all over the place i think?)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi redman,

I have a kinda rule about posting directly on roofing subjects, conflict of interest being one and tons of spam the other.

Hi Rooferpete,

I didn,t stop to think there, I should have . Fully understand your position.

Apologies.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi Kadman,

No problem, I reckon if I let the spammers win I might as well switch the computer off :) besides I'm free for anyone to contact me so to those who don't like my posts tell me in a format I can reply to ;).

Hi Carpenter,

Yes you can fit a Velux in Nordman sheeting, the possibly problems are cutting the sheets, if you are fitting the Velux as you fit the roof it should be easier.

Some use angle grinders to cut the sheets, a big no no sparks from the grinder damage the surface and can void the warranty, as well as causing rust streaks on the finish.

If possible use a Velux as near as you can get to the width of the sheet, that will mean you have less cutting and easier fitting for both the Velux and the sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

rooferPete wrote:
    Hi Kadman,

No problem, I reckon if I let the spammers win I might as well switch the computer off :) besides I'm free for anyone to contact me so to those who don't like my posts tell me in a format I can reply to ;).

Hi Carpenter,

Yes you can fit a Velux in Nordman sheeting, the possibly problems are cutting the sheets, if you are fitting the Velux as you fit the roof it should be easier.

Some use angle grinders to cut the sheets, a big no no sparks from the grinder damage the surface and can void the warranty, as well as causing rust streaks on the finish.

If possible use a Velux as near as you can get to the width of the sheet, that will mean you have less cutting and easier fitting for both the Velux and the sheet.
    Ta bud nice 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I don't have a ladder to get me up that high to take pics as it is two floors high.

Anyone got a recommendation for a professional roofer to take a look and give me options?

I am on the SouthEast of Dublin.

Thanks
    Redman

• Registered Users Posts: 78,443 ✭✭✭✭Victor

rooferPete wrote:
    Just make sure you get the right flashing kit to seal the window to the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lazerian

hi,
    i was wondering is it possible to slate a roof of less than 18 degrees? ie 16.5 degrees. If not whats the advice?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

lazerian wrote: »
    hi,
    i was wondering is it possible to slate a roof of less than 18 degrees? ie 16.5 degrees. If not whats the advice?
    Thanks

The advice is to start a new thread if you want replies of any use!
    This is one over 3 years old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

You'd be very hard pressed to find any slate supplier who would advocate or stand over their product if it were to be used at such a low pitch. 22.5 degrees is the minimum allowable pitch for slate.

Advertisement