Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thought you'd never see another rep thread

Options
  • 10-03-2005 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Sorry for dragging up an old topic that I know many ppl were really annoyed with.

I was just reading the Threads of Fame biki entry and noticed that there were no rep related threads and to be honest was a bit surprised. For a while it seemed rep threads would get their own forum.

I also glanced at the rep biki entry half expecting to see a "league table" of some sort - sorry if that seems a bit vain; Im actually quite sure I wasnt near the top ;) .

Well inspired by the "Top statistics" feature, I was wondering, how did it all end? Perhaps a "league table" could be incorporated into the biki entry if it weren't too much hassle?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

from what I remember, Beruthiel was the queen of Rep, but was dethroned by underhanded means

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

SMAK was the queen of rep

And need I say this? Yes I think I shall
    OH GOD NOT ANOTHER REP THREAD PLEASE GOD NO

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

no need for rep.
    we've just gone back to insulting each other politely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

no need for rep.
    we've just gone back to insulting each other politely.
    ...Faggit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

koneko wrote:
    OH GOD NOT ANOTHER REP THREAD PLEASE GOD NO
    Q Amp to give his standard 'not another rep thread' reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

koneko wrote:
    SMAK was the queen of rep
    indeed!

but another thread about it? *sigh*

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Well inspired by the "Top statistics" feature, I was wondering, how did it all end? Perhaps a "league table" could be incorporated into the biki entry if it weren't too much hassle?

The sheer *effort* just isn't there. With me anyway.

I played with the biki for a while at the start, but since the "double-click on a word to open the biki description" was removed soon after the unveiling of wiki, I haven't really bothered with it.

(I think it was removed due to a part of the userbase who drank too much jolt and couldn't stop double-clicking all over pages)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

delly wrote:
    Q Amp to give his standard 'not another rep thread' reply.

Everybody posting in this thread gets double my normal negative mindrep. Especially me.

I think I was only around the tenth highest rep poster. I got most of my rep from posting in either threads about rep or that Dev and the admins animated gif which I did ages ago anyway.

When Cloud turned off the anonymity on rep I got busted for stalking so I don't mind that it's gone. I prefer non-anonymous stalking these days anyway. It requires more cunning.

Getting back to my musings on rep, I think it could still have worked had people been more relaxed about it. People either hated it with passion or loved it so much that they resorted to begging each other for it. It showed me that there are a minority of people who attack any system that tries to grade popularity. The majority however loved this system as the majority of people are used to grading other people based on things like what car they drive, where they live etc. Then there's the much smaller minority of people that are fascinated by the socialogical data that is pumped out when boards is plunged into chaos by such a trivial thing.

I would have liked a longer test run, I think the repwhore threads would have either been abandoned or locked. Ways of whoring rep would still exist but with time would be limited into irrelevance. I felt it encouraged some to be more creative in the hopes of gaining rep points. And aren't creative posts the reason we keep coming back here? Hell gaining virtual points is pretty much the main addictive ingredient in my other life in Azeroth.

Oh Azeroth you wonderful world,
    I run about you with my cape unfurled,
    With my purple sarong,
    Just running along,
    Seeking iron to make a dagger with pearl.

Olé!

Meh, should just written a journal. NITE KREW REPRASENT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

amp wrote:
    I think it could still have worked !

its pretty obvious it wasnt working. after all, i took me a numner of days to get the highest rep you could get, and it should have taken mere hours.

i am after all, probably the most popular person on boards.

which is a lot different than simply being notorius mind.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

and on boards, there is simply nothing esle :)

Advertisement