Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggist Rip Off Ever World Of Warcraft

• 10-03-2005 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

I just found the biggist rip off ever the game World of warcraft
    first you pay €60 to by the game thats ok about average
    but then if you want to play the game wich is the whole aim of the game you have to pay €12 every month. What a rip off

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

new to MMORPGs are we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Indeedy. Pixman, I believe it says so on the box, and this is standard for MMORPGs.

It's not a single player game, there's constant upkeep and live servers to keep the game running (in a nutshell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

60eur lol, where did you pay that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

€45 was standard in most shops.
    Also €12 a month is cheap for MMORPG.

I was convinced to buy it by the thinking that one free month. If I get a months play out of a game then its worth €45. And even if I decide to play it after that €12 for another month isn't that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

no offence original poster but i hope you are kidding.

12 euro is the price of 1 cinema ticket + popcorn.

for the price of 3 hours of entertainment in a cinema (in a really long movie) you get endless hours of persistant online gaming with thousands of other players in a game that's content is constantly updated etc.

sorry but this is standard for all MMO's and WoW's monthly fees are pretty reasonable in comparison to most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

pixman, if you are a regular player, you're going to be playing it approximately 20 hours a week, probably alot more. That's 40hours a month. You try naming a form of commercial entertainment that offers that kind of value for money.

I have neither the cash, machine or time to play WoW, but you can bet that when mid-May swings around I'll be giving it a whirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

is there any way to pay to play this game without a credit card?

i really want to play but i don't want to get hooked with the free month then find out i can't pay because i've no credit card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Cremo wrote:
    is there any way to pay to play this game without a credit card?

i really want to play but i don't want to get hooked with the free month then find out i can't pay because i've no credit card?
    They will be introducing cards you can purchase for time in game shops next month (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Not sure about WoW, but some other mmorpgs used to have a postal check system.
    Even if WoW doesnt, there is probably a website somewhere that will do it for you via a postal cheque(and most likely a small fee).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Cremo,
    If you like the game just pay a friend the money and use their CC shouldnt be a problem really. Although that Game Card thing Jimeatsmenu mentioned sounds perfect for yourself.

As for Origional Poster I think SyxPak summed it up nicely
    new to MMORPGs are we?

• Advertisement

€45 was standard in most shops.
    Also €12 a month is cheap for MMORPG.

Agreed. I (clumsily) bought Star Wars Galaxies when it came out. That cost about 60eur and was 15dollars a month, which at the time was about 16eur iirc.
    WoW is ten times the game SWG will ever be in my most humblest of opinions and I'll gladly pay €12 per month!

More the fool you for paying €60 for it, I haven't even seen anywhere charging that. Got mine off Play.com which was £25, so worked out just under €35.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Zyox wrote:
    Agreed. I (clumsily) bought Star Wars Galaxies when it came out. That cost about 60eur and was 15dollars a month, which at the time was about 16eur iirc.

Errr ... the dollar has almost always been weaker than the euro, so 15 dollars a month would be around 10-12 yoyo per month.

And if you get 3 month or 6 month blocks it was (and is) cheaper again.
    Dare I also ask where you had to pay 60 yoyo for it? I don't recall ever seeing it for that price.
    WoW is ten times the game SWG will ever be in my most humblest of opinions and I'll gladly pay €12 per month!

And your opinion alone. I have friends who are BIG MMO players who love WoW but are very frustrated with it. Horses for courses.

SWG got the same reaction when it got released. I'll look at WoW in about 6-9 months for a more realistic picture. And given the sh*t it's had so far over server performance & player-queueing I'm less than enthused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

pixman wrote:
    but then if you want to play the game wich is the whole aim of the game you have to pay €12 every month. What a rip off

Classic, a post we will be quoting for years to come.

Matt

Lemming wrote:
    And if you get 3 month or 6 month blocks it was (and is) cheaper again.

Which is the same in WoW...
    Lemming wrote:
    Dare I also ask where you had to pay 60 yoyo for it? I don't recall ever seeing it for that price.
    Game in town, might have been 50, but either way, definately not as good as 35...

Lemming wrote:
    And your opinion alone. I have friends who are BIG MMO players who love WoW but are very frustrated with it. Horses for courses.

SWG got the same reaction when it got released. I'll look at WoW in about 6-9 months for a more realistic picture. And given the sh*t it's had so far over server performance & player-queueing I'm less than enthused.

Well we'll see. I've played my fair share of MMOs (starting with Ultima Online) and SWG was one of the biggest letdowns especially for something I was hugely looking forward to. WoW rekindled my interest in MMOs all over again, I love it, and it's everything I've wanted and then some. SWG died in less time than 6-9 months, you look at any game 6-9 months down the line and of course interest will dwindle... You don't still see people raving about HL2...

That said i played UO for a lot longer than that, and with WoW I expect it could even be longer. SWG lasted about 2 weeks.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

WoW will not be finshed *growing* in 6-9 months. Mark those words.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

pixman wrote:

stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Out of curiosity do you only pay for the months you use it. So if i bought it played it for two months and then got bored. but then decided to play it a few months later would i just pay for the months i used it?

If you decide you don't want to play, you cancel it, you can do that on the website config page.

I think Blizzard said they don't delete characters so even if you decide to reactivate your account after a few months, everything should still be there.

Basically you'd need to cancel it when you're not using it, it doesn't work automatically ("He didn't log in at all this month, we won't charge him" is not the case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Thats a bitch I'd hate to forget as I I'd be using someones else CC. If i do get this i surely will be using the GAME card system if it does come into effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pixman

quite good just thought i would post to see the reaction
    I would not buy the game cos I HATE role playing games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Beat me to it...

troll.jpg

Wow, that's just super. Bye bye troll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

koneko wrote:
    Wow, that's just super. Bye bye troll!

I've just counter-trolled by banning pixman from the entire Games Catagory. I thought I'd do it to see the reaction. lol!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement