Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola V980 &Vodafone 3G Network

Options
  • 11-03-2005 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭

Does anyone have the low down on this ?

I got a V980 on 3G from Vodafone before Christmas. Nothing but trouble right from the start.

The phone keeps cutting off calls; completly switching off in the middle of calls; have to dial a number 2 or 3 times before it'll actually ring; switches itself off when put on the car charger; charger & data connections generally very dodgy - have to wiggle the cables around for it to work; can rarely access Vodafone Live; battery lasts less than a day even if the phone is only on standby; dodgy 3G coverage when on the move; and the list goes on and on.

I've heard rumours that the V980 has been withdrawn from the shelves in some shops, while others are selling them off cheap. Is this the case ? Is the phone really a piece of sh!t ?

Honestly I don't know if it's the phone or the network. Because I've put the SIM into my old phone and it sometimes acts up too. There was never any problems with it before I switched to 3G.

All looks very dodgy. I've had it back to Vodafone for repair, they sent it back to me saying there was nothing wrong with it ... there was no improvement.

Now I'm arguing with them to try to get the handset replaced - there's obviously something wrong with it. They're basically trying to give me the two fingers, they're still taking the bill money by DD from my bank account though.

Anyone know anything more about this ? Is it a common problem ? Anyone else experience similar problems ?

Just trying to build up a case, any and all help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I can confirm that my friends v890 also has a ridulously short battery life of approx 1 day on standby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

As I've mentioned before, around the time the 6630 was released (soon after the v980) we were advised not to sell anymore v980s as almost all were being returned faulty and basically it would easier for everyone if we didnt sell them. Most of the people who had major problems with them after the returns period were given 6630s or v800s anyway cause we knew it was a problem.
    To answer more of your questions, yes it is the phone, not the network. I personally don't have a 3G phone, but most of the people who work with me do and they've no big problems like you describe. And of course they all have 6630s, not v980s.
    If you can, get a different model of phone from them. Nokia 6630 seems popular, don't know too much about the v800 but seems good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

there was a second battery offered by Vodafone for V980 customers

have had issues with the Vodafone 3G network (using a Nokia 6630), such as dropped calls, multiple attempts required to make a call and on occasion poor sound quality that i've to rely on another handset at times... together with the inability to handover a 2.5G data session back onto the 3G network without a disconnection and the mess Vodafone have made of my bill it hasn't been a good experience to date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Ugh.. Kinda bought this phone impulsively today, cus i was on the hunt for an mp3 player was going to get the ipod shuffle, then i saw this "Offer" for the 3g phones. Anyways, I dont want it any more :)... RachG do they have a return date policy? I'd like to try give it back..

Cheers,
    -Coz.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

-ADREN- wrote:
    Ugh.. Kinda bought this phone impulsively today, cus i was on the hunt for an mp3 player was going to get the ipod shuffle, then i saw this "Offer" for the 3g phones. Anyways, I dont want it any more :)... RachG do they have a return date policy? I'd like to try give it back..

Cheers,
    -Coz.

The problems with this phone are fixed now all the new phones in the shop have the nessary updates to stop these problems but the battery life will stay the same 1 day , but in saying that my 6230 i only get about a day and half outta it so about right

the returns poilcy is on the back of your receipt simple if you didnt open the phone shrink wrapping included they will take it back within 14 days if not they wont :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

damn so basically if uve used it you cant take it back.. :( ahh well..

One other question now since im stuck with it.. does this phone not have sms reporting, if it doesnt thats a bloody joke, its such a simple and usefull feature. Any one know if it has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

i got the phone yesterday and its working great!!

-ADREN- wrote:
    damn so basically if uve used it you cant take it back.. :( ahh well..

One other question now since im stuck with it.. does this phone not have sms reporting, if it doesnt thats a bloody joke, its such a simple and usefull feature. Any one know if it has it?
    When you select the person you want to send the message to, do you get a "Receipt" option? If you set that to Yes you'll get a report.

But Motorola have hidden this on some Vodafone firmware, so it might not be enabled on the V980. It's disabled in some early V525s for certain.

it does have sms reporting when ur creating a mesg press the small button above the up arroe go to message options and its there only seems to stay on for one message though....

recently purchased motorola v980 was working fine till the bf got one now it wont ring him even thugh im not in 3g coverage its just normal coverage texts are fine just wont ring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keeps saying call failed network busy!! and it wont ring 171!! anyone have any idea whats wrong or having the same problem????? it'll only ring when there's full signal and is cutting off constantly!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

unfortunately you are experiencing how the Vodafone network 'works' on occasion for 3G users... there have been issues with the V980 discussed previously (now merged in)

Advertisement