Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcturus

Options
  • 11-03-2005 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

sham4.jpg

I've been listening to Arcturus non-stop these last few days, and I thought it's certainly time to post a thread about them.

For anyone who hasn't heard of them before, it's time to open your mind to what is possibly some of the most original, and transcendental music you can possibly imagine. I'd like to point out that while there are certainly elements of Metal in their music, they've evolved beyond any discernable style and almost impossible to describe.

Try and imagine if you locked up Dream Theater, Portishead, Bjork, DJ Shadow, Sigh, Coil, and the worlds leading quantum physicists in an asylum, dosed them full of hallucinagenics, acid, and left a few bottles of absinthe around for good measure. Then imagine giving them assorted musical instruments, and state of the art equipment... Got an idea of what that would sound like?

Well you might have glimpsed a portion of what Arcturus might sound like. Their 1997 album La Masquerade Infernale was like the musicial equivelant of when string theory was first unveiled. The song The Chaos Path was like madness placed to record, it's waltzing Carnival-esque melodies danced and intermingled with classical piano, fiery synths, trip-hop rythms and gypsie-like strings, before collapsing inward with an unmistakably industrial deconstruction. All this coupled with the kind of vocals that would make you doubt your own sanity.

Nothing like it has ever emerged before, and nothing like it has ever been heard since.

The musical skill involved is phenominal, coupled with quite easily the most breath-taking and unique vocalists who have ever lived. Kristoffer Rygg, who has now left the band, but once credited himself on the album The Sham Mirrors as the voices of ghosts and monkeys. Simen Hestnaes, who's vocals are absolutely beyond any comparison. They honestly have to be heard to be believed.

Enough waffling, here's a small taster of the vast madness that Arcturus have produced, from 2002's The Sham Mirrors Star-Crossed.
    Just right click and save as, then turn it up LOUD

Of course, that's just the tip of the iceberg. Arcturus have done some of the most remarkably wild, adventurous, and downright beautiful music of the past decade, if not ever, and I would urge everyone here to buy the albums La Masquerade Infernale and The Sham Mirrors, it's the most truly avant-garde, outlandish music you're likely to hear. The unique song structures, lyrical narratives and originality are a breath of fresh air compared to the usual 'verse/chorus/verse/chorus/end' structured songs out there.

Honestly, Arcturus are one of the best bands there is, and I cannot say enough good things about them.

22.jpg
    15.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

*finds three albums in her MP3 collection*

Shiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

La Masquerade Infernale - superb album.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Indeed, a superb band altogether, was given them a good listen meself yesterday, some unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Listening to Star-Crossed at the moment, feeling an incredible urge to obtain more of their work, it's fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

:( That's not making my balls jangle at all, I'm not liking it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Mmm yes, Arcturus are fantastic. The Sham Mirrors was the first of theirs I'd heard and I was stunned. How they can be so insanely creative with such familiar "metal" sounds is the true marvel here.This is one fine example of music as an art form (a remark I save only for genius like Cynic or Atheist). I pikced up La Masquerade Infernale (along with Ephel Duath "The Painter's Palette, also fantastic) recently and can't stop listening ti it and the Sham Mirrors. Especially when stoned, hehe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Doctor J wrote:
    :( That's not making my balls jangle at all, I'm not liking it.

Ah, give it a while Doc, when I first heard them, I just didn't know what to make of them and it took a while before I got into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Chaos_Path

Mmmm, arcturus, my babies.
    not literally.

theyre ****ing AMAZING live.caught them at inferno in january and am heading north to see them in oslo in a week.their shows are so theatrical, with the costumes and silly faces and the dancing, it all adds to the atmosphere. and now Simen Hestnaes is singing with them instead of Oyvind whatshisname, things are set to get better...

Chaos_Path wrote:
    Mmmm, arcturus, my babies.
    not literally.

theyre ****ing AMAZING live.caught them at inferno in january and am heading north to see them in oslo in a week.their shows are so theatrical, with the costumes and silly faces and the dancing, it all adds to the atmosphere. and now Simen Hestnaes is singing with them instead of Oyvind whatshisname, things are set to get better...

I badly wanted to see them at the Inferno in London, not to mention Enslaved, and I'd hop over to Olso in a second to see the main Inferno Festival! Arcturus, Dissection, Morbid Angel... Oh my! Alas, I'm far too busy these days, and it's too short notice. I could've sworn it was on in April, but to my dismay I only recently took interest to see just when it was on.

They were also playing in Olso last time I was there, and I had no idea where the place was. :(
    I vow that I *WILL* see them soon though!

And yeah, I'm glad Simen is on vocals now, he did some amazing work on La Masquerade Infernale, and as good as Oyvind was, he's just not for Arcturus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Gave Star-Crossed a listen, great stuff. l'll give one of their albums a listen in due time.

• Advertisement

Great to hear you liked it, Freak.

[QUOTE=Karl Hungus
    And yeah, I'm glad Simen is on vocals now, he did some amazing work on La Masquerade Infernale, and as good as Oyvind was, he's just not for Arcturus.[/QUOTE]

definately, his vocal style is too different.

cant wait to see them again! hoping theyll play adastra or nails and sinners at OSLO INFERNO

woooh two weeks!

Chaos_Path wrote:
    definately, his vocal style is too different.

He was good with Spiral Architect though.

yeah but thats different

SA are no arcturus and vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

Love them. Lots. Although I have to say that the Sham Mirrors didn't tickle my fancy, which was disappointing after the masterpiece that was La Masquerade. The first album was great also.

....but they do look silly :P

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've only listened to Star Crossed thus far, but I intend to get my hands on more material.

Glad to see people are liking them (and already love them) so far!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭funeral_forever

only heard a couple of songs like but they sound pwetty koolio xxxkirstyxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

I started listening to them about a month ago, maybe, got La Masquerade Infernale from a friend. I thought it was downright amazing, the originality, the talent, everything, so I had a listen to The Sham Mirrors & Aspera Hiems Symfonia as well. I was in awe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Me likes the MP3. Am interested in other material now.

• Advertisement

Seems like I've got quite a few people interested.
    Anyone pick up any albums yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

yeah arcturus are good, i have La Masquerade Infernale alright.i prefer abruptum thou... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

liked the intro to the song, very nice piano, didnt take too much to the rest of the song, any other links?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

listening to la masq there - its better than i thought
    kinda of a mixture of a lot of styles - but it striked me as being a very operatic mr bungle?!!??!!

feel free to disagree

new albums out in august,...
    in case it hasnt been posted before!

Lads, got two much better mp3s as an example of the band.

The Chaos Path and Kinetic. Phenominal stuff if you've not heard them before.

anyone check out the new album yet?

No, but I hope to pick it up next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

you bastard, why did you let me hear that? My to buy list is long enough, ugh

• Advertisement

Heh, sorry about that. :p

Advertisement