Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows XP

• 11-03-2005 1:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recentely upgraded my O/S from WIn2000 to XP. I have unfortunetely lost the activation key, it was misplaced by mistake. It wasnt originally bought by me but was given to me as a gift, it was never installed. What options are now available to me as I only have 10 days left before it xpires! What actuually happensm does the system lock up.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

afaik the system does lock up, i'm sure there must be something you can do to get another key off microsoft.

maybe take a photo of yourself with the cd and send it to microsoft?

maybe someone else will reply that has been in this situation before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

google a tool called "magic jelly bean"...download it...this will retrieve your XP
    activation code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Hi Jetson,

Thanks 4 the advice, problem is I never had a code put in first day! It was lost b4 I even insatlled it. Stupid to have installed without code but whats done is done. Thanks 4 the help anyway!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

There are some cracking tools on the internet if you use google. You'll have to use your own judgement here though....

osmethod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

I came across this on Ebay. I'm not too sure if it works or not...Still its only stg£1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kizzy2003

To use a key changer you will need a key

All this does is give you a chance to reactivate

Dont buy it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

shinobi wrote:
    I came across this on Ebay. I'm not too sure if it works or not...Still its only stg£1.
    magic jelly bean does that for free........

my question:
    you installd xp wuthout a key?
    really?
    how?

are you sure your not just using your mates xp and he told you not to activate it?

if xp is installed then theres a key on your system, use magic jelly bean to view it, although i dont know why you need the key to activate it, i thought you just go the ms website......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Legally speaking, no certificate (and key), no licence. You effectively have an Illegal copy of Windows on your PC. Your only option is to buy a key from microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Chalk wrote:
    my question:
    you installd xp wuthout a key?
    really?
    how?
    mine too :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice,

I used jelly bean and retrieved a key. However when I put it in it says it has exceeded its uses. I then tried to change the key using key generator with a key from my laptop which i only recently bought - no luck there eithier. My only option is to clean the hard drive and then restore back to windows Me. I have a restore disk so it wont be that much bother. Thanks for all the help

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Don't you need to enter the key half way through the install.... then it's a totally diffferent activation code thingy that you ring microsoft with in order to activate your copy. Are you pulling a fast one?

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Lump wrote:
    Don't you need to enter the key half way through the install.... then it's a totally diffferent activation code thingy that you ring microsoft with in order to activate your copy. Are you pulling a fast one?

John

That indeed is correct, the first serial goes in just after it reboots after copying files to the hd, the second one once everything is done and your just back to the desktop <--this being the activation key

Hi,

Just to answer your question! - I did not need to enter a key half way through installation - definetely not. It only asked for a key after the sytem was installed and it rebooted It then gives you 30 days to activate the key.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I second this. Happended for every copy of Windows XP I have, Home & Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If that's the case then you both have corporate editions of windows, which shouldn't be available to the general public. That said corporate editions are supposed to be already activated, so I dunno. If you weren't even asked for a cd key during install then it's definatly not a legit copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Seems sometimes windows when your installing it when booting from cdrom it will ask you for a key but i found when reinstalling from cd when booting up and it has an operating system on pc it doesnt look for a code until activation is run out.?

Advertisement