Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats the deal with this link?

Options
  • 11-03-2005 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

http://www.sho.com/

We at Showtime Online express our apologies; however, these pages are intended for access only from within the United States.

whats the explaination, tech term and work around for this

I don't like getting google.co.uk either when i type in google.com
    i cant remember if that only started when i went NTLBB
    is it because our proxy is just a cache of an englerland proxy or are they filtering based on ip addys :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

I'd guess filtering based on ip addys .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I'm a bit mystified by the Google thing too. I'm on NTL BB too and have noticed this. But then I was setting up another machine which I hooked up to my router (and consequently to NTL's BB) and when I visited google.com it redirected to google.ie so methinks it's a combination of recent NTL network problems and a fubar'ed Google preferences cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved over to Nets/Comms.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

Moriarty wrote:
    Moved over to Nets/Comms.

i take that as another vote for ip filtering :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

use an online browser based in the US

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Bodan

to get to this site you need to go through a US proxy . So the host thinks your from inside the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's called localisation (or with a 'Z' if you're American).

google know that people in ireland are most likely to want a page that offers local services (is in 'search pages from Ireland'), so as they know that certain IP ranges are in certain countries they redirect requests to localised pages.

also, people use it to prevent people in places other than their intended audience from accessing pages they don't want them to see.

Advertisement