Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hole in pasterboard - how to repair?

• 11-03-2005 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭

Last night a ladder fell against an internal wall and put a nice hole in the plasterboard, about 3 inches diameter about 5' from the floor. The plasterboard is about 5mm deep (though I haven't measured it yet).
    There is a bit of the plasterboard still hanging on but the rest is gone behind.

How can I fix this?
    Can one buy small pieces of plasterboard?
    Maybe expand the hole to a regular shape and squeeze a trimmed piece into the new hole?
    Lots of Polyfilla?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

leave the bits in and just pack it with polyfilla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

You can't just use a bit of plasterboard to fit the hole, you have to cut back the existing plasterboard to the stud work to have something to fix it to. 3 inches may be obtainable with pollyfilla though, give it a shot sure;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

Use big gap filler. Comes in a spray can from any hardware place. Don't fill it to the brim cos it expands to twice the size. Sand it off when dry and cover with ready mixed polyfilla. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Use big gap filler. Comes in a spray can from any hardware place. Don't fill it to the brim cos it expands to twice the size. Sand it off when dry and cover with ready mixed polyfilla. :)
    Thanks. I bought a can of "No more Big Gaps". Will give it a go later.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭m4cker

why didn't they have such a product when a drunken friend of mine put his foot through my bathroom wall a few years ago.Pva glue, tooth paste and newspaper just doesn't do the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Hi
    Here is what to do buy a small slab off plasterboard 4+2 in brooks about 4 euro
    now cut a strip about 20mm smaller than the hole and 150mm longer than the hole so u now have a rectangle slab put a wire through the center off the slab and feed the slab through the hole to the left all the way then feed it to the right until it is 75mm either side now put 2 drywall screws through the wall into the pice you have just put in and put 2 screws on the other side now you have a place to fix a new slab into the hole flush fill with filler and bob is your uncle the hole is gone (this is hard to explain on a keyboard so if you have any hassle pm me and i will give you my mobile number and will talk you through it ok )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Get a piece that will slide into it easy enough and that will cover most of the back of it,like a rectangle bit.But before that put a piece of twine through middle of piece of plasterboard and tie it with a knot and put some polyfilla on it at sides before putting it into hole,once its in pull the string so that polyfilla hits insides of plasterboard and leave to set.

Then next day or few hours later just build it up with some more polyfilla.Dont try and fill it with one big blob.Scout around a site at weekend,there is always some on sites laying around.This is sort of what Carpenter was saying also but without screws

daymobrew wrote:
    Thanks. I bought a can of "No more Big Gaps". Will give it a go later.

Just a word of warning - wear gloves!!! (some plastic ones should be supplied with the can).If the stuff gets on your skin its a nightmare to get off :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Just a word of warning - wear gloves!!! (some plastic ones should be supplied with the can).If the stuff gets on your skin its a nightmare to get off :D
    Yeah, I just noticed - I quickly washed the tiny bits that got on my hand but it took a bit of scrubbing to get rid of that sticky feeling.
    Wearing gloves now.

Annoying thing is that the can doesn't have a nozzle attachment, it has one that you'd find on whipped cream cans but nothing for pressing on. I'm using a pair of pliers to push the very stiff nozzle down.
    Mad stuff - I put the first application on about 90 mins ago and it is quite hard. Will wait 24 hours for it to cure before cutting excess off and sanding remainder.

It should have a piece of tubing that you screw onto the top of the can.As far as i remember, you push or pull this bit backwards or forwards - not down.
    Sorry to hear you got some on your hands - it'll be at least a week before you get it off. You'll have to start a thread for goo removal tips now!! (petrol might work).

• Advertisement
Advertisement