Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scary board turn push/no push!!

Options
  • 11-03-2005 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

.50/1 6 Seater VC
    I'm on button ~ $200 with TT.
    MP decent player $90 Raises to 5.
    CO player ~$100 calls
    I call.

Flop 3 players -- 3s 9d Td
    Raiser bets $6
    CO Calls
    I raise to $15

Raiser folds
    CO calls

Turn 2 plyers--- 8c
    CO bets $15
    I push

Comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I would have flat called on the end. I presume he had QJ?

Thats a pretty big draw if he thinks his overcards are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

You lost to his JQ.

How was he playing before? If he was only showing good cards then call and be prepared to fold if you don't improve and he bets (unless you think he'd fold to a bet if a spade came). If he was bluffing a bit then maybe raise 3 times his bet and see what he does. If he goes all-in fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

u guys are goot..He showed me QJ and I did not improve..
    It was $15 to call 65 in pot..1 : 5 Easy call...

But if I call and the river is a third of a suit... then fold to his bet!!!!Is that not weak poker...
    On VC you will be called by 2pair...draws ..lower sets...over pairs...

Should I have raised more on flop???
    Do you guys go into check call fold mode when a 3rd straightening card comes on the turn!????????????

I gotta stop posting losing hands..

I would call here in the hope that either:

1 The Board pairs to give you a house.
    2 You're still ahead. He's betting a worse hand than the made straight.

The trouble on this turn is that you have no idea whether you're ahead or not. I'd personally call there and see what the river brought and the kind of bet you'd face there. You're being given the odds (just) to draw to the house and you could actually be ahead. Pushing here means you'll only get called by a hand that beats you unless he has a flush draw with the Jd. A set of nines could well fold facing your reraise here. In general I don't understand the purpose of the push it would fold every unmade draw (which could be milked for more money) and some big hands that you beat.

I think you didn't bet enough on the flop. Normally top set is pure gold but on a flop containing a suited 9 and 10 you would have to be worried about every draw in the world being out there. I would have bet $25 or so. You don't wanna let those draws in too cheap. :)

[edit]Also I think posting up losing hands is usually far more valuable than posting up winning hands. :)[/edit]

But if I call and the river is a third of a suit... then fold to his bet!!!!Is that not weak poker...
    I meant that you should have bet if it was a 3rd of the suit because he wouldn't of done what he did if he was drawing to a flush. That is if you think he'd fold his QJ. If he wouldn't fold it then you've got to fold your hand.
    On VC you will be called by 2pair...draws ..lower sets...over pairs...
    Don't I know it. But look at his betting patterns.
    Should I have raised more on flop???
    Unless you raised to about 25 he'd still be in and to be honest you want him to call this.
    Do you guys go into check call fold mode when a 3rd straightening card comes on the turn!????????????
    Look at his betting patterns and what he has done in previous hands. If he's always showing winners then yes i'd fold.
    I gotta stop posting losing hands..
    Here's one:
    3rd or 4th hand of a 25$ MTT Freezeout on GamingClub last night. No read on anyone at the table. Get KK in early MP. Blinds 10/20. Raise to 100. Called by guy 2 seats on late MP. Button goes all-in. (He'd slightly more than starting chips as he won an earlier hand but didn't have to show it). What to do???

I had to call didn't I? Yes he had AA. No improvement and I walked.

• Advertisement

Imposter wrote:
    Look at his betting patterns and what he has done in previous hands. If he's always showing winners then yes i'd fold.
    He can't fold. He's getting the correct odds to draw to a house.

I meant after the river card.

Imposter wrote:
    I meant that you should have bet if it was a 3rd of the suit because he wouldn't of done what he did if he was drawing to a flush. Don't I know it. But look at his betting patterns.

He bet a straight draw w/ overcards...he would certainly bet a flsh draw with o cards..His turn bet I should have just called

Imposter wrote:
    Unless you raised to about 25 he'd still be in and to be honest you want him to call this.
    I agree... I reckon a 25 bet would have been more suitable

I had no reads on the player....Usually betting on this tables means a made hand...all of which I beat on the flop...A draw at these tables usually check

Dappergent wrote:
    Pushing here means you'll only get called by a hand that beats you unless he has a flush draw with the Jd. A set of nines could well fold facing your reraise here. In general I don't understand the purpose of the push it would fold every unmade draw (which could be milked for more money) and some big hands that you beat...

At these tables an atomic bomb could not shift a player off middle set with no str8 or flsh showing....Top pair and two pair will not shift either....
    I pushed because lots of worse hands will call...Oh they do
    and any bet would pot commit me and i would be forced to call on river regardless of wot card came...So push now

You are both right though..I should just call the turn....

Cheers lads

Edit:..On turn..No way will will 90% of VC player fold a set of nines here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Hectorjelly

The Cutoff is representing QJ and there is no reason to disbelieve him. Just flatcall the turn and then if you dont improve on the river you can call or fold a smallish bet. If he bets in the region of $20 again you can call even if your fairly sure your behind. This line makes the most when your ahead, as an overpair, two pair or set might fold to your all in but as mentioned before its hard to get the nuts to fold (and believe me Ive tried), and loses the least when your behind.

Raising the turn and folding to a reraise is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭Shortstack

How did you get on in Vegas HJ ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭NickyOD

.50/1 6 Seater VC
    I'm on button ~ $200 with TT.
    MP decent player $90 Raises to 5.
    CO player ~$100 calls
    I call.

Flop 3 players -- 3s 9d Td
    Raiser bets $6
    CO Calls
    I raise to $15

Raiser folds
    CO calls

Turn 2 plyers--- 8c
    CO bets $15
    I push

Comments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did you only raise to $15 on the initial flop? If I'm correct there is $27 in the pot. You should be making him pay through the nose to outdraw you there. Having said I flat call the bet on the turn. I would put him on the straight for the simple reason that he bet out after you reraised the initial flop so whatever you have he's not afraid of it.

Advertisement