Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sentanta Cup/ All Ireland League

• 11-03-2005 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Seems like there is support (from portEdown of all places) north of the border for an all Ireland league, with a lot of clubs looking at this Sentanta as a fore runner for a possible All Ireland League.

It just shows what big strides the Eircom League have made in recent years, the northern clubs used to be better. The new television deal is another cash cow for all the E.L clubs and Shels are just on the crest of breaking into Europe :D
    McFaul wants All-Ireland League
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1357248&issue_id=12204

click here to enlarge
    Glentoran captain Paul Leeman (left) shares a joke with Longford Town's Paul Keegan yesterday

PORTADOWN manager Ronnie McFaul reckons that the Setanta Cup, which kicks off next week, could be the forerunner to an All-Ireland League.

The Setanta Cup - the first cross-Border competition in 25 years - will see three teams from the eircom League battling it out with three from the Irish League for the €150,000 first prize and the title of All-Ireland champions.

McFaul, whose side face Shelbourne and Cork City in the group stage, is eagerly looking forward to the competition.

"I can't see it happening in the immediate future but I would see the Setanta Cup being expanded and hopefully that will be a forerunner to an All-Ireland League," he said.

Portadown are currently leading the Irish Premier League but McFaul admits that they are trailing behind clubs in the south.

"Up to five years ago the northern teams were ahead of the ones in the south but there has been a big turn-around since then. The best southern sides are full-time and they are going away to Spain for pre-season training camps. Look at the results that Shelbourne and Cork got last season in Europe.

"In contrast, we are part-time. We train on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights, with a game on Saturday."

With only £5,000 on offer for winning the Irish Premier League, Coyle knows that winning the Setanta Cup would do wonders for his budget next season. He pointed out: "Shelbourne have a budget of €2m per year while we have just over £100,000."

McFaul will be looking to Dubliner Vinny Arkins, now in his seventh season at Portadown, to unhinge the Shelbourne and Cork defences.

"Vinny scores goals, holds it up, is two-footed and good in the air. He is a natural finisher," said the Portadown boss.

All group games, starting with next Tuesday's tie between Glentoran and Longford Town at the The Oval, will kick off at 7.15.

Gerry McDermott

The match in Derry passed off reletively peacefully apart from those few idiots outside the game, but it was all low key. Any northern club travelling down south wont have any problems.Whats everyones thoughts on an all Ireland league ? I think it can work without too many problems.

I'd have one preimer division and two division (in either side of the border) beneath it. The two divisions would be on equal footing and it would solve any problems for the national sides. Promotion of 1 club from each of the two leagues into the premier division. But I dont know how relegation would work though if two clubs were both northern or southern.

Hopefully the Sentanta Cup will be a big sucess. Come on Shels :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hmmm, interesting, although it has been discussed before on here.

I think that we will have to see how the Setanta goes for a couple of years to make a decision. I don't expect any problems when the Northern sides come down to play in the Republic, but problems could arise when we travel up there.

Of course the clubs will play down any bad behaviour, but I reckon it will happen anyway.

Sure, I want an all Ireland league, especially if it means the real professional outfits can play against each other, I believe the standard of football would improve immensely. We could remove clubs like UCD and the like, who have no place, imo, in a professional set up.

A cross border league will be a reality, as money talks in football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Money and footballing wise it be superb for all invlolved 16 team premier league. Top 8 from each go into it and rest form subdivisions 2 and 3 or Championships(div 2) and Elite Rasterfian Jacobs Biscuit Divison 78A (div 3)

Security well thats gonna be the main sticking point. Simply banning away fans in grade A games and ensuring they televised would do the job until all grounds are up to scratch (seperate entrance for away fans, Pats and Shels dont have a 3rd entrance).

kdjac

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think an all Ireland league is a great Idea, it could help Irish teams a lot as far as europe is concerned, if we had a bigger better league (3 16 team divisions for example) there is a chance the league could over 10-15 years develop and with the right funding and/or luck the irish league could easily be as good as the austrian, belgian, Sweedish, swiss and chzech leagues, which would help the Republic and Notrhren national teams with more home grown players staying in the country more often.

(I realise that is all dream, but it's my fuc*ing dream so don't crush it!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Shamrock Rovers v Linfield

just imagine the troubles at that one :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

All Ireland 16 team league with the lower divisions regionalised to cut down on costs is the way forward, if Setanta put the money they're putting into their cup into that league along with the addition of the regular prize money from either league and sponsorship you could sustain 16 full time teams, and hopefully there would be better attendences.

I've even heard some people talk of some Celtic league with the LOW, I can't see that ever happening mind, but an all Ireland could, or at least should, happen. From a purely footballing perspective it makes sense. With good security, like the one that is being put in place for the Setanta Cup, trouble could hopefully be kept to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I know this is kinda off topic, but whats the story with Irish based clubs tryign to declare for an English league?
    Could shelbourne for example try join the english league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

There was an idea of including two teams from scotland in the sentanta cup if it turned out to be popular. This in my opinon would be a great development. It would increase the prize money and the standard of football would be more competitive. Good for teams trying for Europe.

I think they should continue with the Sentanta Cup even if an all Ireland league does materalise.

PHB wrote:
    I know this is kinda off topic, but whats the story with Irish based clubs tryign to declare for an English league?
    Could shelbourne for example try join the english league?

In theory they could, they could point to the example of teams like Swansea, european giants FC Vaduz etc etc. There's no real reason they couldn't, despite what UEFA have said about the Old Firm doing it technically you can I think. However I personally would absolutley hate to have that happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was just me thinking abou WImbeldon, and how they were meant to be moving to DUblin

they were meant to move to here but going by past experience once a club moves its fans usually dont follow and it goes all down the tube. Look where wimbeldon are now, few fans turn up and arent they fighting relegation ?

A move for any irish club into England would be a diaster from an irish point of view,

• Advertisement

Well joining the English league and moving a team to England NFL style are too completley different things tbf, I don't think he meant move an EL team to England, that wouldn't make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It will be interesting to see if there is a gulf in class between the two leagues. Emmet Malone from the Irish Times wasn't too optimistic about the competition in his column today.

A Linfield vs Cork final would be great from a personal perspective.

Emmet Malone from the Irish Times wasn't too optimistic about the competition in his column today.

What was his problem with it?

there is a stupid 100k limit on this so its divided into two parts

here is the second part

Have any of the Sunday Papers got any worthwhile previews of the new Eircom League season.

This is the best start the league has seen in years, with fulltime soccer, Shels in Europe, increased prize money, Setanta Cup, etc.

The Sunday Indo(Sports Section) has a good interview with Pat Fenlon. Nothing else by way of preview though.

There was a Preview magazine in the Mirror last wednesday.

seansouth wrote:
    The Sunday Indo(Sports Section) has a good interview with Pat Fenlon. Nothing else by way of preview though.

There was a Preview magazine in the Mirror last wednesday.

Fenlon said that he felt Rico was a very unlucky manager. ~He also said that Richardson was afraid to bring in a top quality assistant and that this had cost him in the past.

Who was his assistant at Shels all those years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The Star will have their preview magazine tomorrow.

Ireland on Sunday has an interview with Pat Devlin and predicted the league outcome.
    The news of the World also predicted who'd finish where.

here's the Indo's article:
    http://www.unison.ie/sportsdesk/stories.php3?ca=12&si=1358334

According to News or the World we short 2 players to be contenders so will finish 8th :confused:

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Well the news of the world can't be wrong now can it :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    According to News or the World we short 2 players to be contenders so will finish 8th :confused:

kdjac
    aye, seen that. :D

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

Well if the two players are Ronaldinho and Shevchenko it probably does make some sense.

Thanks for putting up the article btw. Typical of the Irish media to try and put a negative spin on any development in Irish football, but how and however.

Just to say the supplement in today's Star is quite good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

they were meant to move to here but going by past experience once a club moves its fans usually dont follow and it goes all down the tube. Look where wimbeldon are now, few fans turn up and arent they fighting relegation ?

A move for any irish club into England would be a diaster from an irish point of view,

I reckon the Wimbledon move was a banker for success. Theyd easily have filled their stadium every week with Irish fans wanting to see premiership football. Only thing is they wouldnt have had any supporters of their own in the stadium. Cant say any other similar move wouldnt be successfull to some degree. Tolka would be full of fans wanting to see shels play english teams, plus they would be in the fa and league cups so probably a couple pf massive games (top half of premiership) a season.

Im glad an English club didnt come over here. I think it would totally wreck IRish soccer. Its too big and developed. Also having a couple of the best teams leaving the E.L for the English PL would wreck the EL and soccer development here.

Personally I see an all Island league as the best option. Once the league gets stronger teams will be in Europe. Shels flying off to Englands lower division would be a waste of time. Realistically they would never get the chance to play in Europe. Plus soccer would be very distant for their supporters.
    Longford lose first Setanta Cup game
    15/03/2005 - 20:44:07

Glentoran 2 Longford Town 1
    Match sharpness proved crucial as Longford suffered defeat at The Oval in the opening game of the Setanta Cup.

Town were excellent in the first half, but a stunning Michael Halliday goal on 48 minutes knocked them out of their stride.

Halliday found the top corner with a super volley from 20 yards to give Town keeper Stephen O’Brien no chance.

Another superb goal on 65 minute killed off Town.

Gavin Melough put Stephen Parkhouse in and his finish was calmness personified.

Paul Keegan’s glancing header from a Sean Dillon cross on 83 minutes gave Town hope, but Glentoran held on to win

Bad result for the town, but as stated match fitness made the difference. Friendlies are meaningless. I hope it doesnt trip shels up.

I hope next year it starts later in the year, Town very poor due to match fitness Glentoran strolled it by all accounts, Bugger!

kdjac

Match fitness was the decider, Longford played some good stuff at times. Tbh, given how Glentoran are top of their league and in the middle of their season I was a bit disappointed by them.

Good to hear from a shels point of view :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

KdjaC wrote:
    I hope next year it starts later in the year,

kdjac

AFAIK it starts again November 12 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

From what I saw of the game Longford were actually bossing it for long periods but just didn't have the where-with-all to hit Glentoran where it hurt.

Advertisement