Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to imort ammo from America?

Options
  • 11-03-2005 1:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Bought .17 rimfire 6months ago, Exceptional good round only problem is a box of 50 = 20 euro :mad: complete rip off... sellin same round Horandy V-max in america for $8. Is there a law perventing jo-soaps like myself from buying them? Can any 1 be of assistance to me :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭jimbo 22

I have a cz .17 rimfire. Can any1 tell me if its possible to import live rounds from america - something tells me that theres a laqw perventing me from doing this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Did u really need to post the same thing twice.

im not sure that u can import ammo from america but i seriously doubt that u can.

What do u use the rifle for?? if its for hunting i would not be worrying too much about the price

My gun cost €32 for a box of 20 bullets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

There's nothing legally stopping you doing it, once you conform with import/export and shipping laws.

It'll be very expensive unless you're talking pallet loads. You'll need a dealer to import pallet loads of ammunition.

would one person be legally allowed to hold a pallet load of ammunation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Probably not - unless they have a very understanding firearms licencing garda who will give them a suitably high maximum ammunition limit...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 1911

I would just find a better dealer or do like everyone else is doing and go North (much to the disappointment of the Irish dealers)

My gun cost €78 for a box of 20 bullets

1911 wrote:
    My gun cost €78 for a box of 20 bullets

thats expensive what kinda gun u using??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

civdef wrote:
    Probably not - unless they have a very understanding firearms licencing garda who will give them a suitably high maximum ammunition limit...
    Or you have a suitably small pallet :D
    Though for .22lr and air "high" has a different definition - many ISSF shooters will have limits of 10,000 rounds or more (needed since batch tested ammo has to be bought in lots of a multiple of 5,000). Of course for air pellets, that's not really that impressive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

you are kind of up the creek with this here.there seems to be only one main importer of ammo here ,who distributes this to all the gun dealers.Unless the gun dealer put in a sufficent order for one type of calibre,they are not going to order a box or two occasionally.you would have to put in a bulk order especially for your calibre[2000 plus].now you have to store them at your local gun dealer unless you have a liscense for 2000 rounds of your chosen calibre.
    getting ammo from the states direct is a major PITA.the doj wont issue sofar,import lics for importing pistol ammo,so you can be sure they will screw you on importing rifle ammo from the USA,plus insurance and export certs will it make more costly than buying it here on a box by box basis.
    Soo your next bet ,contact a dealer in Europe mainland and compare the prices on ammo to here.Unless it is substanial per round,like 15/20cents plus,it just isnt worth the hassle.
    Been down this road ,have been trying to get 20ga slugs in a reasonable amount [500rnds] for ages,and have tried various variations on the theme with no sucess. :mad: Most practiable was Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Er, glock are you sure about there only being one ammo importer? I know of at least two in the .22lr area - Ardmore, which has the Eley distributorship and there's another lad in dublin who has the Lapua distributorship.

Hopefully the import certs will get freed up after the CJB goes through - I get the impression that everyone's holding their breath in the DoJ waiting to see what the end result will be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭oldzed

, Doj are issuing import licences for pistol ammo , its slow but they are coming through, Sparks is right there are many ammo importers in the country and there is nothing to stop any dealer bringing in ammo from another country once they get the paperwork . Bringing in ammo from the states is a pain in the ass, I have hand carried back ammo a few times and its a pain in the but (pre clear atf 3 months in advance with valid reasons etc /doj permits etc) pack it properly unpack it several times to show customs /transit cops /airlines, no more than 5kgs per person etc . and thats the easy way to do it . If you are trying to ship it out of the states you will need exports permits that cost money and a dealer/ ffl /exporter who will be bothered to do it for you and they would need serious qtys to bother doing it which if your not a dealer you wont be able to receive anyway .
    In relation to the .17, if the ammo is too dear just buy a .22lr it can do anything the .17 can once you know your holdovers. I think its an overated calibre and once the fad dies away in a year or so it will fade. Its too light for foxes, needs to be cleaned every 20-30 rounds to maintain accuracy , ammo is overpriced and scarce and I dont think the extra 60/70 yards it gives (theoretically ) are worth the bother , plus its crap in the wind. and I think the new eley .17 round based on a necked down .22lr will be even worse.
    Get a decent .22 with a good scope , learn your distances and drops and if you need a bigger rifle for varminting go get a .223 ,you can get ammo from 40€ a hundred , thats my 2 cents

The .17 bullet is very similar in size to a .22 magnum.
    would u consider getting one of them €14 for 50 bullets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 1911

oldzed wrote:
    , Sparks is right there are many ammo importers in the country and there is nothing to stop any dealer bringing in ammo from another country once they get the paperwork . /airlints

Oldzed could you PM me any details of a good dealer that imports ammo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

ASFIK Ardee is the main importer for most common ammo brands into Ireland. :confused:
    Glad to hear the pistol ammo is getting thru.i thought DOJ was allowing the guns thru and not the ammo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

ASFIK Ardee is the main importer for most common ammo brands into Ireland. :confused:

O'Neills (formerly Milbro) also import ammo. They are the agents for Lapua in Ireland although AFAIK Lapua do not manufacture a .17 round.

Advertisement