Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks officially opening in Dublin

• 11-03-2005 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

During the summer. Probably Dublin City Centre. According to the IT business section.

Provided they don't try taking over any existing chains (especially Insomnia!) they're more than welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 katnip

Unless you count the first ever Starbucks stand in DCU canteen. Which ironically, took the place of the Fair Trade coffee stand.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Starbucks tea tastes like píss (based on a DCU experience)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

katnip wrote:
    Unless you count the first ever Starbucks stand in DCU canteen. Which ironically, took the place of the Fair Trade coffee stand.... :rolleyes:

or the one in the microsoft place in dublin which was the first in ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

There one up nort was the first, wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Starbucks actually do use fair trade coffee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Blisterman wrote:

They have a fair trade range, as far as I know the majority of their coffee is just the regular grossly exploitative kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Blisterman wrote:

No they have a range of fair trade coffee which you can order.

Starbucks employee "Would you like your half fat mocha grande with an extra shot of expresso, with the blood sweat and toil of exploited workers or without?"

Its an appalling business process, it's like they're admitting "sure you can go for the columbian roast, but you can't get it fair trade" Translation we're aware people are getting screwed to bring you this coffee, if you don't care, like we don't, buy it, if on the other hand you do care, we can offer you an alternative."

It's like "We don't care about apartheid, however we know you do, therefore to gouge as many of you as possible we offer south africian banana's and we of course offer non south africian bananas, it's our way of supporting the ban"

On a further aside, I've lived in seattle, seattle is a place where you can have a fifteen minute conversation with the street corner vendor over the manner his supplier freezes his beans. In short this is a city of refined coffee drinkers, and the general assumption is starbucks tastes like piss. And this is the local boy, it's head quarters are in seattle. They don't like them, they burn the beans (starbucks, in their roasting process, it's not like seattlelites are doing a cross of boston tea party and the salem witch trials) . "Seattles best coffee" a smaller chain is more wildly regarded. And it was beat down in the UK. And always the best coffee I got in seattle (and the place is like an amsterdam of "coffee houses") always came from the independent stores.

Starbucks engage a sinister campaign of saturation they'll competete against anyone by opening too many stores, like mc donalds n wall mart.

Starbucks are the kind of industry who look at fair trade coffee, and see "hey theres a buck to be made in the ethical market, lets abuse it.

Honestly the excitement about starbucks is like people getting excited about a Mc Donalds or Burger King opening in there area cause they're a gourmand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Imagine that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭Stark

XabiAlonso wrote:
    Lads,

Starbucks is all fine and dandy but possibly the best latte in Dublin is from West Coast Coffee and you can order it online from Metromunch.com. Imagine that - Coffee online! Its not only coffee though its pizzas, sushi, indian, chinese and all the rest. Maybe I'll be able to buy Coffee from Starbucks online too when they finally arrive.

Will your coffee still be hot when it's delivered to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I for one welcome starbucks and wouldn;t mind them taking over the vastly overprice insomnia - who themselves have bought out Perk and Bendini and Shaw - i'd say Insomnia where strenghtining (sic?) their position to be bought out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I for one welcome starbucks and wouldn;t mind them taking over the vastly overprice insomnia - who themselves have bought out Perk and Bendini and Shaw - i'd say Insomnia where strenghtining (sic?) their position to be bought out.

But Insomnia does top quality coffee - Starbucks is ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

mmmm hope its somewhere near college, I love thir white chocolate mocha...... that'll be a nice treat when i'm feeling down! Their frappucinos are also delish particularly the one they do in the summer with strawberry and cream

So the phenominial abuse of human rights, and the fact that starbucks exploit people is something that we're okay with then?

Lunch n Nude do fair trade coffee. The medium roast machu pichu is as good a coffee as you'll get in seattle.

Seriously people, theres a really good feeling from buying from local suppliers, and suppliers who support indigenious people, starbucks are aware of this, offering a range of coffee to suit you, without removing their range of non fair trade coffee is just about the most sickening display of corporate avarice i can imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

well I do have to admit liking the fraps, when I'm abroad somewhere that has a starbucks I will often succumb to this particular weakness. And whatever about the ethics of their business plan you have to admit that the aroma walking into a starbucks is absolutely devine.
    Course it's probably gonna cost about 4 euro a coffee here so don't expect them to last too long.... go on the rip-off ireland :)
    And we're not really a coffee nation unfortunately, most Irish ppl drink tea as a first choice. If there were more coffee drinkers then it'd become cheaper probably.... and more choice....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

mycroft the amount of apathy in this thread shouldn't surprsie you in the least. The vast majority of people at the end of the day don't care about other human beings. They like pretending to care, but will easily ignore or brush aside anything that gets in the way of their own personal luxury.

This is just an example of why human rights abuses, genocide etc are so widespread even today.

bottom line, human beings are selfish creatures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

With any luck, they'll take over O'Briens, but leave the sandwich-making bit intact.

Escpecially seeing as we have an O'Briens in work, and Starbucks make the best coffee.

Memnoch wrote:
    mycroft the amount of apathy in this thread shouldn't surprsie you in the least. The vast majority of people at the end of the day don't care about other human beings. They like pretending to care, but will easily ignore or brush aside anything that gets in the way of their own personal luxury.

This is just an example of why human rights abuses, genocide etc are so widespread even today.

bottom line, human beings are selfish creatures.

Fine I'll be in bed wake me when we've evolved...........
    With any luck, they'll take over O'Briens, but leave the sandwich-making bit intact.

BUT O'BRIEN SANDWICH'S ARE OVER PRICED MUCK!!!!

They shouldn't be mentioned in a thread in the food forum, they're that bad.

Oh I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

seamus wrote:
    and Starbucks make the best coffee.

Oh dear, oh dear! You really need to get out and experience a bit more of the world.

To reprise my previous post - Starbucks is ****e! Most of the indigenous coffee houses do better coffee. Even O'Briens!

However I'll still welcome Starbucks but only as additional competition to keep prices under control. I don't expect to be a regular patron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mycroft wrote:
    BUT O'BRIEN SANDWICH'S ARE OVER PRICED MUCK!!!!
    Not where I work ;)

Starbucks cappucino (from what I had in London) is far better than anything O'Brien's or any of the other Irish chains make here.

seamus wrote:
    Not where I work ;)

Starbucks cappucino (from what I had in London) is far better than anything O'Brien's or any of the other Irish chains make here.

Dear jesus change where you work. I've never had a mouthful of O'Briens food, where the bread is rubbery the meat monofilament thin, the cheese bland, and don't even get me started on the salads. The tomatoes are like tomatoes from night of the living dead.

And then they'll charge you over a fiver for this reconstituted muck. Now if you're off pearse st, I'd recommend the pig n heffer, they do a hot roast beef sandwich on a roll with salad, pickle and home made horseradish sauce, that may cost a few pence more than o'briens but you won't feel a twinge of hunger till dinner, and lunch is a meal.....

As for starbucks coffee. Get out more, over priced over fancy muck, theres a wee italian place just off pearse st, that'll make a cup of coffee hot n strong with depth of flavour that'd wipe seven shades of ****e with the floor of your starbucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭otron

Indeed. Starbucks coffee is weak-ass crap. The only place its worth drinking is in the states where the coffee is weaker then an octogenarian on his deathbed. Only then is it relatively strong.

My vote goes to Le Corte in the Epicurean or Coffee2Go near Baggot St bridge.

Advertisement