Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Slapping Debate.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tallaght01 wrote: »
    There has never been one eureka study on smacking. None of the studies involve twin studies that I'm aware of. There has been lot of work done in this field over many years that has put a lot of the pieces of the puzzle together.

In post 593 in this thread I've linked a nice article written by some guys at the american academy pf paediatrics who've summarised the research.

I'm more being a nitpicker about assigning causality here (you can blame my academic training for this). There's a large body of evidence against smacking as a form of punishment, and I don't dispute that, I'm just curious about the exact causality here. Are genetic causes that make one more likely to react to a situation by smacking a child those that make it more likely that the child will react violently more often later in life? This obviously wouldn't be purely a genetic thing, but it could be like a set of dominoes where the genetic predisposition is reinforced by being smacked as a child etc. (Not that this would be an argument in favour of smacking children if it bore out to be the case or anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Anna88 wrote: »
    Theres a difference between a violent parent and a parent that smacks!! I was smacked as a child...NEVER did me any harm and Im not a violent person now. When I got smacked I never did the same thing again. The reason kids are the way they are today is because parents and other people think "psycholgy" can help them....sorry guys Im voting for smacking all the way and when I have kids of my own they will be smacked to and sent to their room just like I was! Worked for me and my sisters!

You grew up in a different generation! Parents then didn't have access to the same information and resources as they have now; they didn't realise that there are other far more effective methods of getting through to their children. Plenty of children weren't physically or psychologically damaged by being slapped occasionally when they were small - but some were. Are you really willing to take that chance with your children, when there are much healthier alternatives available?

Also, where do you draw the line? You say that it's OK for you to slap your children as a form of punishment. Does that mean it's OK for your childminder to do the same, for the sake of consistency? How about your children's teacher - would you be OK with him/her slapping your child? And who determines just how hard a "slap" is?

In my opinion, if a parent resorts to an act of physical violence as punishment for a child, it just shows that they have lost control of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Smacking may have worked years ago, but i do not think it works anymore, and rightly so.
    But i do think times have changed and that smacking is not as harmless as it used to be, dunno how or why, but i don't think its the right way to deal with a naughty child.

Well, that's an interesting point right there -- that what used to work doesn't anymore, and that what was once good enough isn't, and that children have fundamentally changed since then.

I agree that times have changed (who can say that they haven't?!), but I wonder how it is more harmful now than it was then. Would the issue not be that it's more harmful now, but that there's a lot more "how to" parenting than there used to be? That parents used to do what they needed to do to raise their kids how they best saw fit, and now there are so many dos and don't coming from so many directions, it's the parents who have changed?

(we'llallhavetea, I know you said you dunno how or why, so this isn't aimed directly at you, I just wanted to use your point.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Theres a difference between a violent parent and a parent that smacks!! I was smacked as a child...NEVER did me any harm and Im not a violent person now. When I got smacked I never did the same thing again. The reason kids are the way they are today is because parents and other people think "psycholgy" can help them....sorry guys Im voting for smacking all the way and when I have kids of my own they will be smacked to and sent to their room just like I was! Worked for me and my sisters!

Have you tried this approach with adults, maybe slapping your workmates or a shop assistant? If it is so effective, why would you only use it for the little ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can we please kept discussion civil.
    Any inflamatory posting can and will result in a ban.

Currently smacking a child in a controled manner as part of correction is not illegal, while smacking/hitting an adult is and so it is not comparing like to like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Not referring to the slap/beat/talk debate. However for the life of me I cannot understand why seemingly intelligent people treat and think of children as adults!

They are not 'little adults'. Not even a little bit! Why are we as a society determined to go back to Victorian thinking? If some of you folks are so determined to treat children as adults why are you not putting your kids out to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I smacked my 10 year old daughter today on the back of the leg. Im so disgusted with myself for sinking so low. I thought I was at a stage where I could control all situations with her but was so disgusted with her behaviour that I hit out. It is so wrong to smack a child, and I think even worse to smack one as old as my daughter. I dont know what to do to fix things now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

oops double posted, reply is below.

nesf wrote: »
    I'm more being a nitpicker about assigning causality here (you can blame my academic training for this). There's a large body of evidence against smacking as a form of punishment, and I don't dispute that, I'm just curious about the exact causality here. Are genetic causes that make one more likely to react to a situation by smacking a child those that make it more likely that the child will react violently more often later in life? This obviously wouldn't be purely a genetic thing, but it could be like a set of dominoes where the genetic predisposition is reinforced by being smacked as a child etc. (Not that this would be an argument in favour of smacking children if it bore out to be the case or anything)

I thought a lot about this debate before coming back to it (I have v.personal experiences of violence from a step parent), and what you said above is what I was thinking in some way before coming back, with regards to this debate being akin in some way to genetics.

From personal experiences that I have put up previously about the attacks on me by a 'parent' ie step parent in a subjective way, I do in some way feel that objectively speaking... that I from experience feel that there is some disposition that exists, that pre-disposes a person towards violence as a course of action in response to pressure.

This is something I have experienced so I feel qualified and ideed obliged to speak about.

In short and in this respect with regards to this debate...

the step fathers oldest son is v.violent, when under pressure he has been involved in fights and he has shown a v.different side to his 'lovely calm' percieved personality, he has become 'beserker' like in fight situations. I exposed him once by accident in a social situation and he attacked me with extreme hatred i.e. he let his guard down and all the angry underlying stuff out for everyone to see, he threatened to kill me etc in a rage.

My step father still is capable of extreme anger despite his age (60+), I caught him more than once about to hit and 'humiliate' through hitting and control of his youngest son, and shockingly I recently stepped into a room where he was about to agressively move on his 3yr old grand-daughter because she wouldn't behave.

He wouldn't have hit her but given the chance I think he would have 'controlled' her in some kind of humiliating way. It is just the way he was /is (the agression), that chilled me to the bone. Both times when I entered the room (I never left him alone with anyone he could bully) he immediately withdrew and became sedate and apparently harmless. I as a result will never leave my kids alone with him, he is one angry man.

This whole debate is complicated to say the least, but it is interesting nonetheless.

I can say though that I have never smacked my child because in an experienced way I never had or have to. My child is, much like myself, ie she will misbehave and argue none stop, I equally manage to reason with her and give her explanations for everything that she asks about, if she disagrees with me, (which she often does) I have to work hard to get her to listen and indeed I have to think, and explain reasons why she can not do x things.

She is the best most behaved child but she is also not controlled or opressed in any way and she is happy and confident. I'm so proud of her for this and I continue to respect her argumentive nature.

Raising a hand to her or hitting her is something I could never do as it is not in my nature.

I think this debate has great merit and peoples experiences good and bad are v.valuable towards it. One person above in these posts stated that 'it never did me any harm', to be honest I kind of think the same thing about myself despite being hit etc.

In that respect I'm still discovering new things about myself all the time, getting hit and hurt by a person in a position of trust didn't and hasn't done me any favours other than making me harder and tougher. If that works for some folks then let the beating continue.

The child thinks....

Never gonna do that again! Its a smack for god sake not a fully blown attack on them!

Well it is really when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Anna88

Well then a lecture is aswell....

People are parents....people have choices, if someone chooses to smack THEIR child its THEIR biz!! No one elses...

If the child feels abused, they have childline....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Wow!
    nesf wrote: »

Good questions nesf, and I'm sorry I can't hang about for longer to write a longer post in reply. But the causality one is a difficult issue. The crux of the issue, to my mind, is that the genetic element is less likely because the behaviour is modified by stopping the smacking.

There may be a genetic susceptibility to violence though. Insofar as if an adopted kid of a placid parent was hit by their violent adopted parent, they may be less likely ti become violent in response to it than the adoptive parent's natural kids.

But I think what you were getting at was whether the kid would have been violent anyway, just because of inheriting genes from a parent who has this propensity for violence (ie hitting their kid). If that were the case, then changing discipline wouldn't be expected to stop the kid's violence.

But, to give some weight to your general point, yo usually engage the parent in other techniques aswell when trying to get them to stop smacking. If I see a parent in clinic who hits their kid I'll talk to them about it. But I'll also introduce things like positive reinforcement of good behaviour, which yields fantastic results at almost any age, because kids LOVE praise.

So, stopping smacking isn't usually done in isolation. But even if it's not 100% responsible for the increase in violence in smacked kids (and I think it's responsible for a lot of the violence in these children) there's other reasons not to smack. The main one being that it's no more effective than other methods of discipline.

So, given the choice between disciplining a small child without resort to violence, and doing the same by hitting them, there should be an obvious choice. Though I accept it's not so simple.

I would say to "sickened" above, too, that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Everyone does something they regret. My parents were so against violence, and would never lay a hand on us. But one day my dad slapped me on the back of the legs, out of frustration. It's a one off thing. Happens to lots of parents. But you know it was wrong, and that's the main thing. So, you're unlikely to do it again. In the unlikely event that it does keep happening, you can talk to your GP if you felt it was getting out of control. But you seem like a very conscientious parent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nice. Very nice.

Please debate the posts rather then making smart comments.

Anna88 how does a under 5 year old ring child line?

Yes ideally a parent would never hae to slap a child and certianly never have to slap/smack a child who has reached school going age and never ever ever in anger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Well then a lecture is aswell....

People are parents....people have choices, if someone chooses to smack THEIR child its THEIR biz!! No one elses...

This attitude is the reason why I feel strongly that people should be obliged to go through a vetting process similar to that of potential adoptive parents before having children.

You said in an earlier post that you do you think you were in any way damaged by being slapped by your parents. Do you think it's normal to view children as your property, to mistreat and abuse as you wish because they are "yours"?

I do thinkthat parents should do parenting courses, we have schools that sit empty and idle in the evenings and parenting classes should be run several times a year for free in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Good questions nesf, and I'm sorry I can't hang about for longer to write a longer post in reply. But the causality one is a difficult issue. The crux of the issue, to my mind, is that the genetic element is less likely because the behaviour is modified by stopping the smacking.

There may be a genetic susceptibility to violence though. Insofar as if an adopted kid of a placid parent was hit by their violent adopted parent, they may be less likely ti become violent in response to it than the adoptive parent's natural kids.

But I think what you were getting at was whether the kid would have been violent anyway, just because of inheriting genes from a parent who has this propensity for violence (ie hitting their kid). If that were the case, then changing discipline wouldn't be expected to stop the kid's violence.

But, to give some weight to your general point, yo usually engage the parent in other techniques aswell when trying to get them to stop smacking. If I see a parent in clinic who hits their kid I'll talk to them about it. But I'll also introduce things like positive reinforcement of good behaviour, which yields fantastic results at almost any age, because kids LOVE praise.

So, stopping smacking isn't usually done in isolation. But even if it's not 100% responsible for the increase in violence in smacked kids (and I think it's responsible for a lot of the violence in these children) there's other reasons not to smack. The main one being that it's no more effective than other methods of discipline.

So, given the choice between disciplining a small child without resort to violence, and doing the same by hitting them, there should be an obvious choice. Though I accept it's not so simple.

I would say to "sickened" above, too, that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. Everyone does something they regret. My parents were so against violence, and would never lay a hand on us. But one day my dad slapped me on the back of the legs, out of frustration. It's a one off thing. Happens to lots of parents. But you know it was wrong, and that's the main thing. So, you're unlikely to do it again. In the unlikely event that it does keep happening, you can talk to your GP if you felt it was getting out of control. But you seem like a very conscientious parent :)

The change in the form of discipline showing good result regarding violence wouldn't rule out genetic factors at all. At most a genetic factor will be a predisposition towards violence, it won't be a cast iron fate for the person. i.e. in simplistic terms, kid A has the gene kid B doesn't: both children are slapped by their parents, kid A would have a much higher chance of exhibiting violent behaviour as an adult than kid B who is still most likely not to have violence problems as an adult. In such an instance slapping itself is not the causal factor of the violence in that it is not a sufficient condition to bring about said violence only a necessary one. If you start factoring in that a change in a parent slapping will not happen in a vacuum and that it could also precipitate other changes in the relationship between the parents and child and you have a very complicated picture.

Looking at the evidence I would most certainly not rule out genetic factors as a layman with an interest in genetics etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

But a gene would likely affect 25-50% of kids. So, it shouldn't be reflected as a majority figure when looking at correlations. That would be my issue with a genetic predisposition.

I think at the individual level it's a decent hypothesis. But I don't think it bears out at a population level at all.

Parenting Courses?? What next....how to be the best at everything course??
    And who exactly would run these courses??
    I wasn't being smart about whole child line thing by the way. And just because people choose to smack (not slap) their kids....people should be "vetted" to have children?? What about the other bad aspects of parenting like....

Drinking "sociably" around their children
    Not watching what their doing on the internet
    Not giving them a healthy diet
    Smoking around their children

Are these three examples not bad parenting??

In my children's primary school parent's who are certified to run the parenting courses do them. I found them to be very helpful, they are simular to the one my parents took and in deed ran/facilitated over 20 years ago so this is not a new concept what so ever.
    What about the other bad aspects of parenting like....

Drinking "sociably" around their children
    Not watching what their doing on the internet
    Not giving them a healthy diet
    Smoking around their children

Are these three examples not bad parenting??

What makes you think that these topics would not come up as part of parenting classes?

• Advertisement

I never said those topics wouldn't come up....I asked about them generaly.

Well I for one will not sit in a room with other people while being told how to be a parent, Id be at home actually being a parent!!

Every child is different, a good talking to might work for some but others need I beleive that little smack when they step over the line. To me it shows the child who is the parent and that they should be respected!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭~me~

i just wanna ask the people who say 'i slap when its necessary'-
    does this not confuse your kids into thinking that its ok to.. i dunno.. throw things.. cause they dont get slapped for that? like where do you draw the line at what warrants a slap?
    and if its only a 'little slap' then whats the point? is that not the same as tapping them if their bold? if its in order to punish them then its gonna have to be with some amount of force in order to make them regret doing what they did, which is just hurting a child.
    maybe im wrong with that point, its a genuine concept i dont understand so if you can explain it better please do.

as for the parenting classes, i dont know if i agree with them tbh, i know some parents who believe in 'controlled crying'and others that take a more 'nurturing' approach and whos to say which is right so the same issue will arise with any aspect of parenting. but parents should be taught about not smoking around their kids, nutritional feeding etc.

I never said those topics wouldn't come up....I asked about them generaly.

Fair enough.

Well I for one will not sit in a room with other people while being told how to be a parent, Id be at home actually being a parent!!

You have never been to a parenting class and you are making assumption about it being a lecture, you are wrong.
    Every child is different,

Very much so, and that is why parenting classes deal with a range of solutions and about how to foster a good parent child relationship.
    a good talking to might work for some but others need I beleive that little smack when they step over the line.

Again that is not suitable for all children, infact I would say for most and there are I think better ways once children are old enough to be corrected verbally and understand consequences of their actions.
    To me it shows the child who is the parent and that they should be respected!!

I don't think that hitting a child is how to teach a child respect or how to earn respect from a child. Like I said there are other ways to assert your authority and to discipline a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Many European countries such as Sweden have a total ban on hitting kids, but really that doesn't stop parents. I've seen a dad hit his sons in Sweden despite the law. I think it's a good law to have in place though because some parents' idea of a suitable level of violence to use towards their children is just too far. Eg- some parents think whipping their kids with belts is an acceptable punishmnet to use, where do you draw the line? It's easier just to have a blanket ban. I remember a man being prosecuted in the Uk for hitiing his daughter. He had taken her to the dentist and she was scared of the dental procedure she was about to undergo. She was crying and refusing to see the dentist. So, instead of comforting her, the father pulled down her knickers in front of everyone in the waiting room, put her across his legs and wallopped her hard and repeatedly in front of everyone. I think he was way out of line and deserved to be prosecuted.

Up until I was about 11, my dad used to knock me around, whacking me around the head repeatedly with all his might for minor misbehaviour such as arguing with my sister. He always said I should consider myself lucky that I'm a girl because if I was a boy I would get the cane. I hated him and at the age of 11 after a particlarly bad public beating I just stopped speaking to him. even though we lived in the same house I didn't speak to him at all, I hated him and completely ignored him for years. I seriously considered running away too. I eventually started speaking to him again but years later our relationship has never recovered. Even now, aged 26 I am very formal with him. When he phones me to see how I am or whatever, he always finishes the call with "I love you" but I can never say it back. When hitting your kids remember that some kids are sensitive and you may be doing more damage than you realise. I don't have any kids yet but I hope I'll be a good enough parent that I don't need to use violence to get them to behave.

This is the last time Im gonna say this....

There is a difference between beating your child up and giving them a quick two second smack!!

Many European countries such as Sweden have a total ban on hitting kids, but really that doesn't stop parents. I've seen a dad hit his sons in Sweden despite the law. I think it's a good law to have in place though because some parents' idea of a suitable level of violence to use towards their children is just too far. Eg- some parents think whipping their kids with belts is an acceptable punishmnet to use, where do you draw the line? It's easier just to have a blanket ban. I remember a man being prosecuted in the Uk for hitiing his daughter. He had taken her to the dentist and she was scared of the dental procedure she was about to undergo. She was crying and refusing to see the dentist. So, instead of comforting her, the father pulled down her knickers in front of everyone in the waiting room, put her across his legs and wallopped her hard and repeatedly in front of everyone. I think he was way out of line and deserved to be prosecuted.

Up until I was about 11, my dad used to knock me around, whacking me around the head repeatedly with all his might for minor misbehaviour such as arguing with my sister. He always said I should consider myself lucky that I'm a girl because if I was a boy I would get the cane. I hated him and at the age of 11 after a particlarly bad public beating I just stopped speaking to him. even though we lived in the same house I didn't speak to him at all, I hated him and completely ignored him for years. I seriously considered running away too. I eventually started speaking to him again but years later our relationship has never recovered. Even now, aged 26 I am very formal with him. When he phones me to see how I am or whatever, he always finishes the call with "I love you" but I can never say it back. When hitting your kids remember that some kids are sensitive and you may be doing more damage than you realise. I don't have any kids yet but I hope I'll be a good enough parent that I don't need to use violence to get them to behave.

It is interesting to note as well as a point that Sweden also banned shows like / similar to cbeebies as they saw them as babysitting programs which encouraged parents to leave the kids sitting in front of them thus taking the actual parenting responsibility away from the parent.

Plus I think it is also Sweden that did extensive research into over fortified products like milk / cornflakes and other foods etc with added vitamins. This research was conducted after an investigation into conditions that were detrimental in the older population (they suffered health problems) and it was found that this overdose of vitamins that was 'marketed' to the public was at the very least a reason that caused these health problems. Notably I think that fortified cornflakes were banned.

It's interesting to see that this over fortified vitamin fad passed away v.quickly in the European market as well, so I guess the Swedish are seemingly fore-runners in this area, so that is worth a look for anyone seriously interested in this area.

Parenting courses are a v.good idea and they should be looked into. After all plenty of people buy books on childcare and welfare as new parents, these books are popular to say the least. So first hand experienced parents on parenting courses as experts in this area should be taken advantage of in a productive way by new parents. If these courses are done in the right way then they are, should, and will be more helpful to any new parent. More helpful than any book I think.

StormWarrior, I have scarily similar experiences that you have had with your parent, and I have to say I have the same type of relationship with a violent person /parent that you talked about.

In that respect and given weight to this debate...

To me it seems like the people who have actually experienced this anger and violence seem to be the most informed and are most able to speak out against it with v.good informed opinions from said experience as survivors.

In a way to me I feel that some folks still feel that beating / hitting a child is right. I obviously do not agree with this at all because as a qualified survivor I can say otherwise by my succesful actions with my own kids who are well behaved, confident and happy and have never recieved anything more than a reasoned out talking to.

I have three nephews as well whom were looked after by myself and extended family, they all went through unfortunate violence indirectly by the mothers onetime notorious boyfriend (a notable scumbag connected with a notorious family), and they have so far, gone through a process of having a none violent loving extended family after the scumbag was taken out of the equation.

Thankfully they are all doing extraordinarylly well,, sportswise through football and gymnastics and in one case academia they are all talented lads. They experienced violence until the extended family took over and offered them options, and above all 'reason'. Previous to this they were beat down and lived in fear.

Expect to see one nephew in the Irish Olympics as he has won some major international competions as a gymnast, also expect to see another in the football world as a professional player.

I guess the above stuff is about... not one of these lads was hit or beat down after they were taken out of hitters and hurters. And now they are all doing well to the extreme. They are the lucky ones if you can call it that. I have seen young lads with the same potential that were not as lucky as my nephews and they did not turn out as well because no one had the time to give to them.

At the end of the day It is sad to me to think that some folks still feel that smacking works, it plainly does not work.

There is a difference between beating your child up and giving them a quick two second smack!!

Yes there is but I still think that there is an age where the child is too young to do that too and an age where a child is too old to do that to.

I could easily give you a 'two second slap' Anna, who would you call then? Forum line?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

You would be welcome to give me a smack on the arm if I was about to walk out in front of a car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

But different children can take them both the same way. Some children are traumatized by smacking. It's not enough to say "it's always okay to smack kids, because we were fine with it" because kids are individuals, who need to be treated as such. (SO SO SORRY about the terrible cliché *cringes*)

For example, I would always respond best to guilt trips and bargaining- don't do this now, and you'll be able to do this later kind of thing. Whereas my brother...well, a smack on the arse was the best way to get through to him! Or the threat of it at least :P.

Advertisement