Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The weekends FA Cup action

• 11-03-2005 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

The weekends FA Cup action:

Okay folks, its 1/4 final time! Calling all fans of Bolton, Arsenal, Southampton, Man U, Blackburn, Leicester, Newcastle and Tottenham, whats the predictions?

I'm hoping for a Bolton, Saints, Leicester and Spurs victory for obvious reasons (I'm a Saints fan). All 4 games are on telly and I have the day off work tomorrow so its going to be an action packed weekend!

My predictions:

12 March 2005
    Bolton 1-2 Arsenal
    Southampton 1-2 Man Utd

13 March 2005
    Blackburn 2-0 Leicester
    Newcastle 1-1 Tottenham

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

12 March 2005
    Bolton 1-0 Arsenal
    Southampton 1-5 Man Utd

13 March 2005
    Blackburn 0-0 Leicester
    Newcastle 1-2 Tottenham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

seansouth wrote:
    Southampton 1-5 Man Utd
    Its never too difficult to spot a Man U fan. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think the tie of the round will be ARsenal vs. Bolton, with Bolton having their best chance in years to beat Arsenal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Bolton 0-2 Arsenal
    Southampton 0-1 Man Utd

13 March 2005
    Blackburn 2-1 Leicester
    Newcastle 3-3 Tottenham :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

God, I can't stand Bolton. Fingers crossed Arsenal will vent all their frustration on them and thrash them, but realistically they're going to get kicked off the pitch and will probably draw or be beaten.

If that happens, then at least I can look forward to seeing more of Quincy and Aliadiere this season :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

SeanSouth, I am removing your legend status.

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    Fine
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

winners: Arsenal , Southampton , Leicester , Newcastle .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Arsenal 1 Lungberg good goal , exciting game both teams have decided not to defend.

Diouf off after 8 minutes :( nasty nasty nasty boy, he dived swan like style then punched Lehman.

kdjac

Jebus reyes should been have sent off too.
    Kicked out at Ngotty i think.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good game so far. I thought it was over when Diouf walked but Bolton are playing well with the 10 men.

I have more control over this game with my remote than the ref does, totally lost it now.

More players will be sent off tho whether they deserve to go will be debatable.
    Pires booked for being chopped up , Flamini not booked for chopping up :confused:

kdjac

How ljungberg miss that?

1-0 arsenal finished , freddie missed from 3 yards with an empty goal :confused: it was harder to miss than score.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus nearly had a heartattack over that game. Arsenal should have won by more but fair play to Bolton they never gave up at all. Diouf was an idiot and the ref was very erratic with his decisions.

And what a miss by Freddie, miss of the season so far :D

Keep in mind, thats the best english ref.
    Why?
    Because we doesnt make stupid decisions that effect big teams so we never complain about him, its the same with UTD and Chelsea, he is seriously biased towards them.

What a goal by keano, nice deflection but great strike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

southhampton 0 - united 1

keane

Booyeah, Rooney, Van Nist, and Ronaldo team up great :)

Good goal from Ronaldo with the over rated waste of money Rooney creating the chance.

First half over it's been all United could easily have had five.

Third week in a row I wonder will it work this week? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Southampton are absolutely awful. If they perform like that in the Premier League then they don't deserve to be there.

• Advertisement

Yeah, very very very very very very very very very lackluster preformance from Southampton.

None the less, great play by Van Nist, wish he'd got a goal but what can you do

Southampton are absolutely awful. If they perform like that in the Premier League then they don't deserve to be there.

Nah that was the reserves out today, you obviously havent seen us play in the premiership in a while.

PS - SeanSouth, I have re-instated your legend status, apologies for ever doubting you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did you see that twonk with the flare? I wonder how he'll explain that away.
    Hopefully a long ban for him.

Mike.

Yeah he was celebrating the goal and seemed to get a bit carried away! Probably been in the pub all day!

Motto and Lawrensons reaction was a wee bitt OTT though, I'd love to see how they react at any Boh's - Rovers game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

what happened with the flare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

A "twonk", as mike put it, threw one of them big red smokey flares onto the pitch after scholes scored. landed in the saints 18 yard box. game was delayed a minute or two. he was a united fan too! BBC cameras caught him rapid though.

United ban flare fan

MANCHESTER United will ban for life the supporter who `stained their reputation' by throwing a flare onto the pitch at St Mary's Stadium.

The incident occurred at the beginning of the second half of United's 4-0 FA Cup romp over Southampton, seconds after Paul Scholes had netted the visitors' third goal.

The flare came perilously close to hitting Saints `keeper Paul Smith before it landed in the penalty area and play was held up for two minutes as it burned out and was eventually removed.

CCTV pictures appeared to identify the culprit, with United officials warning of swift action should guilt be established.

"Manchester United condemns the actions of the spectator who threw the flare onto the pitch," said a statement released by the Red Devils.

"The club strongly hopes TV evidence will enable him to be identified.

"Once that has happened, United will take swift and appropriate action against him to make sure he will not be able to stain the club's reputation in such a way again.

"Such behaviour is totally unacceptable and will not be tolerated."

Rightly so but that said it's not like it's the first time a flare has been thrown at a game, they do it in Europe all the time. If all Clubs were to take such prompt action on the moronic element of their supporters football would not be too long sorting out the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

if you banned supporters in italy who used flares, the stadiums would be empty.

No problem with them, just when there thrown onto the pitch.

if you banned supporters in italy who used flares, the stadiums would be empty.

The stadiums are empty , Juventus had 6,000 for a Champions League group game :eek: .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Speaking of empty stadiums, you'd think St Marys would be full to the brim for a quarter final against Man Utd. I also noticed big empty areas in the 'Boro-Sporting game. Again weird, its not like Middlesboro are in Europe every season.

Mike.

Indeed it appears crowds a re dwindling. Tickets for Arsenals last FA Cup replay were on general sale before the game. Its a bit odd that the champions with their supporter base couldnt sell 2200 tickets for a 'FA cup game wiothout putting them on general sale.

Link

seansouth wrote:
    Southampton 1-5 Man Utd
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Its never too difficult to spot a Man U fan. :)
    Well, I got the score wrong, but the difference right.

:D;)
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    PS - SeanSouth, I have re-instated your legend status, apologies for ever doubting you.
    :D:D
    :cool: :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

The Muppet wrote:
    Indeed it appears crowds a re dwindling. Tickets for Arsenals last FA Cup replay were on general sale before the game. Its a bit odd that the champions with their supporter base couldnt sell 2200 tickets for a 'FA cup game wiothout putting them on general sale.

Link

Is it a pricing issue? Or perhaps there is just too much football...

as for Lungberg missing......unbelievable. And he gets how much each week? :D

Blackburn take the lead 1-0 with 8 mins to go. Dickov Penalty

And David Conolloy is coming on for Leicester.
    :eek:

cmon blackburn :D

football fans are fickle only top 4 or 5 sell out every week , others only sell out when playing top 4 or 5. Same in every league cept some leagues the champions have the worst attd in the league Monaco Juve and maybe one other ;)

kdjac

• Advertisement

5 Mins Newcastle 1-0 Spurs, Kluivert. Nice finish from a Shearer cross that should never have been allowed. Bad defending from Spurs, but a good finish

I am delighted , Souness has actually seemed to do a good job :eek: , and now thats 7 wins in a row into the semi-final of the FA Cup and quarter-final of the Uefa Cup .

mike65 wrote:
    Speaking of empty stadiums, you'd think St Marys would be full to the brim for a quarter final against Man Utd. I also noticed big empty areas in the 'Boro-Sporting game. Again weird, its not like Middlesboro are in Europe every season.

Mike.

The attendance was 30,971 (thats only 1500 short of capacity). I'm assuming some seats were empty because of the fact that we aren't really concentrating on the cup etc... It's been full every week for the league games so thats the only conclusion I can come to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

Big Ears wrote:
    I am delighted , Souness has actually seemed to do a good job :eek: , and now thats 7 wins in a row into the semi-final of the FA Cup and quarter-final of the Uefa Cup .

Sickened Tottenham supporter. Don't deny another team passage but we were robbed - 1 goal, 1 nailed on peno and 1 maybe peno. :mad:

In the dictionary under "unlucky" and "perpetual suffering", you'll
    find English Football Club Tottenham Hotspur and their supporters
    respectively.

Once Ars*nal dont win it, I dont care now :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Good win United, not a great day for the Southampton fans!
    Diouf, what a twat, a least once a month he performs some a1 twaterry, if he was an old dog he would be put to sleep!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

jolly wrote:
    Sickened Tottenham supporter. Don't deny another team passage but we were robbed - 1 goal, 1 nailed on peno and 1 maybe peno. :mad:

In the dictionary under "unlucky" and "perpetual suffering", you'll
    find English Football Club Tottenham Hotspur and their supporters
    respectively.

Once Ars*nal dont win it, I dont care now :p
    They were hardly robbed; Kluivert had a perfectly legit goal ruled out for offside, and Newcastle defended well. Value for their win imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Well the arse game ... Diouf , well he's a idiot, the miss had me laughing ( remindied me of Andy cole when he first moved to united), the Blackburn game was well scrappy. If either team had been playing any of the other sides in the quarters they would of been out. that said i though at times blackburns passing was very good ( well it would be seeing as i'm a Blackburn fan). other than that was a great weekend of sport =)

Advertisement