Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 SMS problem?

Options
  • 11-03-2005 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

I've noticed that when I receive SMS messages from O2 customers on my meteor phone that I cannot directly reply to them.

When I receive a message from Vodafone, Meteor or any international customers their number appears in the full international format e.g. +353871234567

However, SMS messages from O2 customers display as 353861234567 i.e. the "+" is missing.

When I hit reply the meteor SMS centre rejects the message as the number's not valid.

I have also had this problem with O2 sms messages while in the UK, ironically on O2 UK! And also while in the USA on T-Mobile.

Also, to make matters even more confusing, mobile phones match the incomming number to the phone book using the last 7 digits. So, my mobile will happily display "John" for 353861234567. When I hit "reply to john" everything works and then the message is rejected.

It's very irritating as it means I have to write SMS messages to O2 customers from scratch or else edit the number :(

I contacted Meteor by phone and was told "it's not our problem...contact o2.." by an extremely rude customer "service" person.

I tried phoning O2 and the call centre person just had no idea what I was talking about and blaimed meteor and asked me why I was phoning O2 since I wasn't an O2 customer.

Anyone else having this problem?

Surely you'd think the networks would care that they're potentially loosing a LOT of SMS traffic!

It's obviously some kind of glitch in the O2-IRL Message centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

hhmmm...
    Haven't heard of that problem before. I know if the person is sending the text off webtext on o2.ie it comes up without a + although I've never had any trouble replying to that, but then I'm on o2. I suppose when you send a text in the future you should just put the plus in yourself before you send it?? Dunno what else you could do...

I haven't spotted any problem with the O2 Ireland network (except for the web texts), but O2 UK in Northern Ireland has given me bother too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭d-j-k

O2 really should sort that out though. Most customers arn't that technically savvy and will just assume there's a network problem.

Also, you can't really tell when it's going to happen as not everyone on 086 is actually on O2 and their names appear not their numbers regardless of whether there's a + or not

Just frustrating generally! :eek:

I used O2 UK in England and their network doesn't even support delivery reports AT ALL!.

Advertisement