Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i buy a new graphics card..

Options
  • 11-03-2005 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

hmm, havent been posting much due to WoW dominating my life :rolleyes:

but ive come to realise my card will struggle on a few games now :eek:

so i was wondering...does anyone know when the new cores are coming out..or should i buy 1 of the current ones..

also - is it worth flogging my s754 and moving to pci-express s939 ...

i just dont know, next student installment will be through soon and my birthdays in a few works so i could spare £200-£300 or so..if i sold my old stuff as well

what do you think? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

hmmm... the 9800xt is a pretty capable card. It can play hl2 pretty fine at 1024x768 with everything on high. there is always the hunger for more speed though :)

For that money youd probably be looking at a 6800NU and going for the overclock to GT i assume ? Or perhaps trying to find an x800xl agp, if they exist ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Its a little early to upgrade yet. Your current card will handle everything in the near futre and by the time you do need to upgrade the r500 and NV50 will be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭BabyEater

I would stay where you are for the minute as you will have to speed a good bit too see any major inprovements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Its a little early to upgrade yet. Your current card will handle everything in the near futre and by the time you do need to upgrade the r500 and NV50 will be out.

yes i considered this..but is there any date as to when the next cores are out?

if i got a rough date i would know how long i need to hang on :p

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Nvidia have just releaved there 6800 cards with 512MB at the Cebit exibihition in germany.......what really is annoying me now is that nvidia's cards (pci-e) are so damn expensive. I mean yes they got SLI support but compared to ATI in the single card performance there just bad value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ViperVenoM wrote:

so i was wondering...does anyone know when the new cores are coming out..or should i buy 1 of the current ones..

i just dont know, next student installment will be through soon and my birthdays in a few works so i could spare £200-£300 or so..if i sold my old stuff as well

yeh i think you should upgrade to 939 and sell your 754 stuff to me, ;) , hahahaha just kidding. If you can pick up a resonably cheap 2nd hand x800pro or xt or a 6800gt etc and flog your 9800xt for a decent enuf price than an upgrade will be well worth it, with a decent gpu block and a nice overclock you can be playing the likes of HL2 @ 1600x1200 at a decent fps

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

gline wrote:
    flog your 9800xt for a decent enuf price

Won't be that much over the €100 mark now...
    Azza wrote:
    what really is annoying me now is that nvidia's cards (pci-e) are so damn expensive. I mean yes they got SLI support

Huh? The 3D1 SLI dual 6600GT card with great mobo and extras like wireless is €500. Cheaper than just the graphics card like a 6800U or X800XT for that. P1sses all over the X850XT in 3D05s
    Check this out

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33807765&highlight=r520

Looks like it will be Q3 2005 before you see the R520 and Nvidia have canned the r50.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I would try and sell your ATI 9600Pro, then buy a better card. If your only going to get 100/120 for your 9800xt i dont think i would sell it. And nope dont upgrade computer it looks class at that clock speed.

*sob*

9800xt seems to be worth **** :( ...oh that sucks....maybe ill just wait for the next gen and dual core cpus...argh

alli can say is bugger :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would persoanlly wait.. If you insist on upgrading I would stay away from ATI for this generation of cards as the Nvidia cards basically perfrom better and support more features while the X800 series if just an upgraded 9700 still (over simplified I know but it still just an evolution of a 2-3 year old design).. The next generation of cards will probably be around within 6 months and I would be holding out for these bad boys..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I would persoanlly wait.. If you insist on upgrading I would stay away from ATI for this generation of cards as the Nvidia cards basically perfrom better and support more features while the X800 series if just an upgraded 9700 still (over simplified I know but it still just an evolution of a 2-3 year old design).. The next generation of cards will probably be around within 6 months and I would be holding out for these bad boys..

The x850xt is the highest performing single card on the market atm. Whether it's older technology or not doesn't matter. The benchmarks speak for themselves.

BloodBath

"If you insist on upgrading I would stay away from ATI for this generation of cards as the Nvidia cards basically perfrom better and support more features while the X800 series if just an upgraded 9700 still ""

??????? Where you getting your info. ATI seem to be kicking ass in single card setups. and afaik the only feature that nvidia support that ati doesnt is PS 3.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

ViperVenoM wrote:

what Gfx card are you hoping to upgrad to?

BloodBath wrote:
    The x850xt is the highest performing single card on the market atm. Whether it's older technology or not doesn't matter. The benchmarks speak for themselves.

BloodBath

gline wrote:
    ??????? Where you getting your info. ATI seem to be kicking ass in single card setups. and afaik the only feature that nvidia support that ati doesnt is PS 3.0.

The x800 evolved from the 9700 and 9800 designs while the 6800 series uses a brand new architecture design. I am not disputing that it a good card, I am simply suggesting that you would be better served getting a 6800 card now for longevity reasons because it supports more features and as such, should work out a better buy as games begin to use these features, pixel shaders 3.0 being a prime example. ATI have only recently regained the performace crown after releasing a revised version of the X800, i.e. the X850.

I am confident that in 12 months down the line, that new games running on the 6800 will peform better than the equivelent X800/850 card.. Nvidea are also on the brink of releasing a 512mb card which will probably regain the lead for Nvidia..

However, at the moment, it prob doesnt make all the much difference which brand of card you pick as they perform at similar levels. The 6800GT is the all round best buy for me though.

Nvidea are also on the brink of releasing a 512mb card which will probably regain the lead for Nvidia..

Why? What advantage will 512mb Ram have over 256MB ram in performance at the min.

Not that much unless you are playing with high resolutions and AA and AF maxed out..

Not that much unless you are playing with high resolutions and AA and AF maxed out..

so at the moment its no real use and when its out im sure ati will have something better to counteract it as usually happens. At the moment ati is the better preformer

jessy wrote:
    what Gfx card are you hoping to upgrad to?

well im open to both top end cards...6800gt (and flash it to an ultra) or an x850xt .and to pe speeds...i wanted to go PCI-Express....but i dont think its very feasable now as my birthday money has just had to go on a new ps2 just so i can play GT4 (last bugger packed up) so ill only have about £60-£70 left...and whatever id get if i sold my current stuff..maybe ill just look for a second hand card that craps on mine....which there seems to be a lot of :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

jessy wrote:
    Why? What advantage will 512mb Ram have over 256MB ram in performance at the min.

Well infact playing Doom3 with 512megs of video ram is better then playing it at 256megs. This is only when playing it at Ultra High detail and high res. So there you go 512megs of ram is been used but very slightly. Its the only game that i know of out there that makes use of that much ram

• Advertisement

gline wrote:
    so at the moment its no real use and when its out im sure ati will have something better to counteract it as usually happens. At the moment ati is the better preformer

Are you saying that 512mb wont improve performance?

Anyway, back to my point. While the current Nvidia and ATI cards are pretty much on a par peformance wise at the moment, I am pretty certain that the current Nvidia cards will beat the ATI cards in new games released in 12 or so months time. I believe this as the 6800 was developed more recently and incorportates features that will be adopted within the next year that the existing ATI cards do not offer.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

I'm fairly certain the forthcoming ATI X950XT has all the fancy pixel and vertex shaders that the 6800 series has.

What other features does the 6800 series offer over ATI's current cards?

ViperVenoM wrote:
    my birthday money has just had to go on a new ps2 just so i can play GT4

You could just get the ps2 emulator which would save you a few quid :D as for buying a second hand card, its not a bad idea, but i would be wondering why someone would be selling a top spec card, what would they upgrade to?

Azza wrote:

Exactly what i was saying earlier

By the time PS3.0 and 32bit precision become anyway standard the current cards that support it will be at the end of its life time. This is what happened with the 9800 series and will continue to happen with every generation of graphics cards.

Azza wrote:
    I'm fairly certain the forthcoming ATI X950XT has all the fancy pixel and vertex shaders that the 6800 series has.

This is a significant enough difference..

Which are?

This is the third time you have been asked this, just answer it.

Actually mis-read Azza'a previous post.. The X850 does not features the newer Pixel and Vertex shaders that are supported by the 6800.. Supporting PS 3.0 should make a significant difference as and when newer games begin to fully take advantage of it. Of the top of my head, I cannot think of other features the 6800 offers over the X800/850 series.

If the X850 does support them, then I am wrong.. I reckon it does not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

i havnt read the thread so sorry if it has already been said

ViperVenoM getting another 512mb of ram (you only have 512mb now if your sig is correct)
    will give a far greater performance boot in game like world of warcraft then getting a new 3d card
    anthing under 1gb of ram in that game and it will lock up bad in cities and area with alot of players

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote:
    i havnt read the thread so sorry if it has already been said

ViperVenoM getting another 512mb of ram (you only have 512mb now if your sig is correct)
    will give a far greater performance boot in game like world of warcraft then getting a new 3d card
    anthing under 1gb of ram in that game and it will lock up bad in cities and area with alot of players

:confused: my sig says 1024mb Geil ram...

not sure which pc your reading there :D

thats a good point that was mentioned tho..how can i pick up a top end second hand card ...as what can they themselves be upgrading to....ahh tis a tough 1...back to WoW tho :D

Advertisement