Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IE 5.5

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

WTF........ smile.gif

What's this now? ©

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

icon13.gif Tis truly a donkey raping **** eater..

Don't even think about it....™

www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

Why's that?
    I'm afraid to install it now, incase it turns me into a ****-faced ****-master frown.gif

What's this now? ©

well....I am not expert by any means...but..
    I downloaded it to check it out and...ffs
    in a site that i wanted to test, it gave me errors on some javascript (hover buttons which were produced by frontpage 2k)...something about invalid class lang or some such judder.

Ok..this wouldnt be too bad if it was consistent but sometimes it displayed the buttons correctly...sometimes it displayed 50% of them and sometimes none...(on the same page, after restarting the browser i mean...)
    Using IE 5 they work fine and all.....

ffs i dunno...

Don't even think about it...©®™
    www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

Was there anything good about it?

• Advertisement

ummm best part.....it has a print preview feature....looked ok..but really I dunno....i didn't leave it on my system long enough to find out....(ps i like IE5 so it ****ed me off that this version ****ed pigs).

Don't even think about it...™
    www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL, Fúcked pigs, is that what you said ??

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

frontpage 2k? you expect any site under the sun to look as expected in any browser when its designed using that?

ie5 and ie5.5 are simply the best browsers out there, netscape 4.7 is a pile of toss and is a nightmare when it comes to tables, netscape pr6 just brings its stupidity to new levels.
    simple fact is that by the end of this year about 60-70% of internet users will be using it and if your site doesnt look good or produces errors in it then its your fault as the designer.

only quip i have about the whole 5.5 package is that outlook express decides to always load up that microsoft messenger thingy...

As I said...I like IE5....my point was this...

How can something which is automatically generated by Microsoft FrontPage 2000 not work at all....or worse still work inconsistently (?????) with IE5.5 when it works fine in IE4 and IE5.0

Now I use FP2k because I find it is easy to use...web design and computers is not my chosen field...i have an interest in it OK but it is only a part of what I do.....everyone can't be an expert web designer...someday maybe I'll learn about languages etc but not right now...

(i agree with that messenger thingy ****in you off....it's still on my system too... can't remember askin for it to be installed either... smile.gif )

[This message has been edited by Licksy20 (edited 06-08-2000).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Disclaimer: Not trying to start a browser war here or anything.....but.....

Internet Explorer is a damn fine browser, its table handling is just superb compared to Netscape.

However there are two bad things about IE that I'd like to see fixed:

1. Stricter HTML. If people write bad HTML then it should crash instead of making up for it whichever way it can. OK, HTML is not rocket science but you should at least know if you're doing something wrong. I love Netscapes View->Page Source feature where you get flashing text at the bad HTML.

2. It's too f**king big!! I just wish that my browser was just another application, not a proggy that brings down the whole f**king OS when it crashes.

I want a small browser that doesn't make me reboot when it crashes, that doesn't try to integrate itself with my OS and one that tells me nicely when I've done something bad.

Is that too much to ask for?

===========================

And I'm prolly not gonna upgrade to 5.5 for a long time either. I'm pretty happy with the setup I have now and I don't want to do anything to mess it up.

</rant> smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Karla (edited 06-08-2000).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I've encountered (very) minor problems with its rendering engine which make IE 5.1 a better choice for the time being.

Bard

|home page|scary éire

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭topgold

I've been running with IE 5.5 for nearly a month and it hasn't violated my W98 OS.

However, it refuses to display some applets and that's getting a little frustrating as some of them are in sales points on web sites.

/bernie goldbach http://www.topgold.com/

Some interesting comments...and a lot of flames too....
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdn-online/shared/comments/threadedcomments.asp?cID=13270&aID=1817

eg.
    DHTML Library problems!
    I spent a lot of time trying to write a DHTML library that would work on both IE and Netscape. So far its worked on almost all versions of Netscape 4, IE4 and IE5, but in IE5.5 it doesn't work at all! What the heck did you guys change? Could you atleast document all the changes you made to the Javascript Engine so i can update the library?
    The true evoltion of browsers
    This is in response to the guy up there who said I.E. leads the evolution of browsers. When I clicked "respond", I.E. 5.5 came up with a script error. How ironic. Anyways,
    So, let me get this straight... The evolution of browsers is to make the Internet experience different depending on your platform. That's what Microsoft is doing. A web app designed to work with this browser probably won't work with IE for mac, and forget backwards compatibility. Is that the direction, the evolution? To force dvelopers to spend more time developing different versions of their product for each flavour of browser? and i'm not talking about I.E. vs. Communicator, i'm talking about I.E. vs. itself. That's what's happening here with these unique, proprietary innovations. That's why I advocate Mozilla. If you design a web app to work with Mozilla, it'll work for anyone running Mozilla. Windows users. Mac users. Linux users. OS/2 users. BeOS users. If it works for one, it works for the rest. Best of all, to get it to work, you don't have to study Microsoft's proprietary, wordy documentations. You just have to point your browser to w3.org. This way of building web apps works so well, in fact, that Netscape 6's front end and behaviours were programmed using it. That's the evolution of browsing. Where web developers will have to choose between making pages and apps that work only on IE 5.5 for Windows, or making apps that work for any build of Mozilla on any OS in addition to IE 5.0 for Mac. Wonder which they'll choose.

Don't even think about it...™
    www.licksy.net
    info@licksy.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I haven't had a prob with 5.5 yet, but I'll see how she goes...
    Also, I don't seem to have Kali's OE problem - something fupped up in preferences or something maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

everyone go back to using mosaic tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Where web developers will have to choose between making pages and apps that work only on IE 5.5 for Windows, or making apps that work for any build of Mozilla on any OS in addition to IE 5.0 for Mac. Wonder which they'll choose.

Does anyone doubt they'll pick to make an app for IE5.5 for Windows? These people who think that companies will work towards the enhancement of the web rather than commercial benefit need to lay off the drugs.

Advertisement