Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Naturalisation & Immigration Service (INIS)

Options
  • 11-03-2005 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I missed this press release (1st March)
    Mr Michael McDowell TD, Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform announced that the Government has today approved the establishment of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) as an executive office within the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform.

http://www.justice.ie./80256E01003A02CF/vWeb/pcJUSQ6A3MVN-en

Would this indicate a tightening of controls, or just a very timely identification of arse and elbow? This would also seem to give McDowell more power, although economic migrant control policy remains in the power of the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment, the execution of that policy is now with the INIS. My experience in the past is that the GNIB hadn't a clue what was happening in the Dept in the office right above their heads.

I also notice that there is now an appeals officer rather than the 'write to the mininister' approach, although the procedure is still very wooly.

Appeals policy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Roisin Dubh

I think this is a good idea. Having one body dealing with all immigrant-related issues can only be a good thing. It will make decision-making quicker, instead of different departments arguing on end about who is responsible for what.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It will make decision-making quicker

That's the theory. Although it still remains the arbitary decision of a junior civil servant, with a very sketchy appeals process. Remains to be seen whether this will be in any way more effective or fairer.

Advertisement