Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best joypad ever!

Options
  • 11-03-2005 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭

What is your favourite standard console joypad. I wish a pole would allow proportional representation though :/, so i could rate my top ten :)

my faves:

1. Gamecube
    build quality unrivalled. delicious analogue stick. feels like happy in my hands.

2. PS2
    Definitely the most sensible layout of buttons and sticks. No silly kidney-shaped buttons as above. And pressure sensitive buttons! my gods, why haven't the developers fully realised the sauce! Hands do start to feel the wear after hours of play, though.

3. SNES
    Built like a tank. great layout. Never get tired using it. I love it, but it's been surpassed by analogue sticks, unfortunately. Even if many developers still don't fully utilise the stick.

what's yer favourite joypad 82 votes

NES
    0% 0 votes
    Megadrive
    2% 2 votes
    SNES
    1% 1 vote
    Saturn
    8% 7 votes
    PS1/2 (dualshock)
    0% 0 votes
    N64
    23% 19 votes
    Dreamcast
    17% 14 votes
    XBOX
    3% 3 votes
    Gamecube
    13% 11 votes
    (other)
    30% 25 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i guess im one of the (very) few who like the standard xBox controller. very comfortable to use and doesnt feel cheap. unlike the GC one, it feels like its made of play doh!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

PS2 for me. It just works, it works well. My only foible is discomfort in games that involve using both Ls or both Rs, which tires my hand eventually.
    And I agree about the pressure sensitive buttons. They were put to good use in MGS 2 and 3 (except for the first few times you're trying to hold up a guard and accidently shoot him in the spine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

its the SNES for me, my first, and best control pad, oh the memories! and as Balfa said, its built like a tank, a close second s the Xbox tho, I dunno what it is, but all the.... stuff on the pad was strategically placed for the utmost comfort and usability

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i think ps2 is the best ,the xbox is good but too heavy and 30percent too big but it has good button layout,some1 should bring out pad like snes with add buttons and analog controll stick 4 the pc.after years playing ps2 games the xbox controller feels too big and heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

not the small xbox controller but the big one is class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

big xbox one is better than the small one.

what were they thinking changing the layout of the black and white buttons

my fav controller is the n64 one

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I like the small xbox controllers myself. Hate the big ones. PS2 ones are nice as well but the analogue sticks on the PS2 ones tend to make my thumbs sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

I reckon the Dreamcast had the best analogue stick, with the N64 coming in second (bar the fact that it goes dodgy after a couple of years).

I don't like the GC stick at all, it feels too stiff. And I don't like the placement of the PS sticks (although the original non-dual shock analogue pads with the longer 'prongs' were teh win).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i dont like the black and wihite buttons on the xbox controller. for comfort id have to say gamecube. originality and amazing for its time, n64. ps2 pad is pants apart from the 4 shoulder buttons. they need to sort out the analog sticks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

n64. the big x-box one is horrible, I just can't use it, but the small one is O.K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the only reason why i like the big xbox controller is that the small ones weren't around when i got my xbox and hence got use to the big one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

I prefer the GC myself, I can't really get a grip of PS2 controllers, a bit dodgy sometimes. The N64 has to be the dodgiest in my opinion, bit funny looking. Anyway, GC feels most comfortable when holding it, hands fit around it pefectly, with PS2 not so sure.

I also like the Stylus control on the DS, well really only in SM64. It's really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

For me anyway it has to be the big xbox controller. I never get any hand cramps *no sniggering down the back*, sore fingers etc from it. Its ergonomically superior to any other controller ever... good button placement and analogue sticks are good quality...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Gamecube: As long as a game doesn't need 6 face buttons like a cpacom fighting game then this is by far the best controller ever made. Fantastic analogue stick, comfy to use, loads of buttons and great button layout.

2. Saturn: The japanese controller not the terrible first run american ones. By fat the best d-pad controller ever made. 6 face big clunky buttons, excellent d-pad and 2 shoulder buttons meant it was perfect for arcade games and worked very well on 3D games. Lovely to hold and use.

3. MK1 microsoft sidewinder: Nice button layout with 6 face buttons and 2 shoulder buttons. The thing that wins it was the ability to plug 4 together. Made emulation a joy.

Worst:

1. Fat xbox controller: A disgrace. Terrible button placemetnand was far too big for normal hands to reach all the buttons comfortably. S-controller was an improvement but still isn't great to use. Nice bone shattering vibration though.

2. Dual Shock: The PS1 controller was far too small to begin with but adding 2 analogue sticks was ridiculous. Very uncomfortable to use due to the small size.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Xbox Controller S

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

GameCube controller. It just fits my hands so nicely and it's got a great analogue stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Gamecube for me too.

after playing metroid prime for 5 hours straight the first day i got my cube, no other joypad felt "right".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I would have went for the cube pad but the z button is in the wrong place so n64 for me pretty much flawless

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

big xbox controller. man size controller for man hands. anyone who thinks the controller is too big has small hands. the xbox was originally designed for adults. and the controller is the only one ive ever felt had every button placed in an easily accessible way. ms sold out bringing out those small girly pads with their johnny brutal white and black buttons.

on the ps pads, the shoulder buttons are hard to use at the same time as triggers and the x button.

didnt like the n64 pads, always felt there was a bit too much going on.

have to admit ive never used a gamecube one, but i hear good things.

snes and nes had great controllers. didnt like the megadrive ones with the 6 buttons. or was that three?

i say bring back old school joysticks. had two cream ones for my c64 with a red trigger and two red buttons on top of the base. they were classy. flimbo's quest couldnt be played with a modern pad any better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Id go with gamecube, I liked the 6 button megadrive one too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

n64 for me

so much possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Draupnir wrote:
    have to admit ive never used a gamecube one, but i hear good things.
    You owe it to yourself to find one, and put it in your hands. It fits the hand like no other controller ever made. Mmmm, snuggly goodness.
    megadrive ones with the 6 buttons. or was that three?
    It first had three (A, B, C, plus start), then they came out with a six-button pad that had an additional X, Y and Z, and a mode button, with a light, and i think the extra buttons could be used as turbo fire buttons in games that didn't support them, or something?
    http://www.skjoldhammer.dk/md-mcd-32x.html
    i say bring back old school joysticks. had two cream ones for my c64 with a red trigger and two red buttons on top of the base.
    I loved my old red & black kempston joystick for the spectrum with four buttons, all of which did the same thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

X-box large. Just a great pad to use when it's configured correctly. Got to love project gothams controls. Those pressure sensitive shoulder buttons work like a charm for easing off accelaration and easing on the brakes.

Second: would have to be the cube.

Third: N64 pad was great for its time but for modern games that require 2 analouges it would be useless.

BloodBath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

hands down playstation 1/2 joypad, everything is under the finger, very comfy, looks great, functions great, is light and pretty small

ps all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

for the x-box you have to have like 4 hands, thats to many buttons man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Joseph Stalin Djugashvili.
    its Josef Vissarionovich Stalin, Djugashvili was his original name, he changed it to Stalin "One death is a tragedy, one million is a statistic"
    :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

has to be the snes pad for me...
    it just felt right playing killer instict with is and doing speed runs through super metroid

1. - Snes
    2. - Xbox large
    3. - Gamecube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

N64, it's such a clever pad, modular like, so you can control any game in 4 different permutations! Was also great for all ye lefties.

Second for me, on layout alone - it's responsiveness is boll1x, is the Dualshock, handy layout with an analogue at each thumb. I also like the way some games have used the dualanalogue like Fight Night, TgigerWoods, ApeEscape etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Marts wrote:
    its Josef Vissarionovich Stalin, Djugashvili was his original name, he changed it to Stalin "One death is a tragedy, one million is a statistic"
    :D

Yes Sir I know! :)

Stalin means a man of steel, well I guess he was, when the Germans captured his son, and asked him to trade his son for one of their generals, he said "how can I trade a foot soldier for a general", and he just replied to them "I have no son"

I like that quote
    I guess it's so easy to say it, since you are the "one" and all others are "million" lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Gamecube for me, it fits so perfectly into your hand, this is followed closely by the Xbox S contoller and then the PS2 controller. I once thought the PS2 controller was the best but once I bought my 'cube I never went back.

Advertisement