Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best joypad ever!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

From that list the Gamecube, undoubtably.
    But my all time favourite, for comfort, ease of use, and raw durability goes to this baby on the Megadrive: http://www.skjoldhammer.dk/md-mcd-32x/md_6button_joypad.jpg
    Even after 3 years of hard use going right back to Street Fighter2, Mortal Kombat, etc etc etc, there was never a single problem, the durability of them things was phenomonal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Its a shame the MD 3 button pad was so atrocious. They don't last long either. Took out my MD from the attic 6 months ago and the d-pad on both controllers is knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

BEST!
    1 - Dreamcast
    2 - Saturn
    3 - Xbox Controller-S
    4 - Super Nintendo
    5 - Gamecube

WORST!
    1 - Xbox Contoller-F
    2 - Playstation Dual Shock
    3 - Nintendo 64

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

My very first pad was for my Amstrad 464+... nothing special, just a d-pad and two buttons, but your first is always the best ya know?

As for currently, the Gamecube one is by far the most comfortable to use, a sheer joy it is.. althought the ps2 dual shock just gets the nod i think.. the best laid out of all the pads..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Has to be the Playstation for me. It's the reason why I still buy all the multiplatform games on PS2 even though I'd get quicker loadtimes and better graphics on the other consoles. The pad feels perfect, the buttons are perfect, it's comfortable to use for hours on end, and the analog buttons are oh so important for Gran Turismo.

Gamecube would be second I think, it has the best analog stick of all but the buttons are a huge let down, B and Z are especially atrocious, I don't like the layout of the face buttons at all, but L and R do feel nice.

Third would be difficult to pick, X-Box pads are just horrible, I also hated N64 ones and never got long enough to test Dreamcast and Saturn ones fully. So I think I'd have to go for SNES, it was much better than Megadrive at the time anyway, although I couldn't imagine trying to use a joypad without analog nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I love the original X-box controller! Hate the new S type, dunno why.

Worst ever - Playstation 2 controller. Ugh. Shíte control for FPS games.

Other good ones - Gamecube, N64, Dreamcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Roar wrote:
    My very first pad was for my Amstrad 464+... nothing special, just a d-pad and two buttons, but your first is always the best ya know?

Ah the Amstrad 464+, how many hours did I waste on Burnin' Rubber, and my first trials of trying to program basic, ugghh! Good times, good times! The Batman game rocked too!

I was playing Metal Gear Solic 3 there and I jsut can't get used to the PS2 pad anymore, its really annoying me :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1 - Xbox Contoller-F

F for Fat i suppose :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Honestly, using the Controller-F is like clasping your hands round a bowling ball with little sticks at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

sound_wave wrote:
    Ah the Amstrad 464+, how many hours did I waste on Burnin' Rubber, and my first trials of trying to program basic, ugghh! Good times, good times! The Batman game rocked too!

ah yeah burnin rubber... can still hear the theme tune in my head to this very day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Pugsley wrote:
    From that list the Gamecube, undoubtably.
    But my all time favourite, for comfort, ease of use, and raw durability goes to this baby on the Megadrive
    You know that the megadrive is on "that list", right? I hope you voted for it, and not gamecube, because you certainly didn't vote for "other", which is there for the ones that aren't on the list, even if they are. if you know what i... ah, nevermind. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

the quickshot isn't even on the list, although all it needed to make it into a quicksh1t was a few rounds of Daly Thompson. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Cullilingus

N64 all the way, the only controller, aside from keyboard and mouse, that I'd use for a FPS. Though I could be biased coz Goldeneye was so class! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

God I HATED the MD controller!

Horrible design, it hurt your hands (if they were used to the sexy XNES:))

And three buttons???

Who the **** thought of that one? How much of a pain in the arse was it having to press start between punch and kick in SF2??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

SNES, XBox(S and F), Dreamcast.

They all controlled the games built for the system perfectly. How Nintendo can get away with that z button I do not know, makes smash brothers a pain.

Stupid controller was the original gameboy, which had the buttons slanting the wrong way, so unless you're one of those weirdo's who uses their fingers for the buttons, and not thumb, then doing a running jump was stupidly hard.

I guess when you play a game, and its the control method that becomes the challenge, the pad is designed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

x-box contriller got a bit of slagging for being too big...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2001-08-29

but I think it's the only controller I can use comfortably as a full grown man with average sized hands. I say fair play for catering to the normal handed individual. having said that, I still voted for the GC controller, nintendo always put a lot of it's efforts into revolutionary design:

first to use a joypad instead of a joystick with the NES

6 easily reachable buttons on the SNES controller (nearest competitor MD had 3)

N64 controller could be held comfortably in 3 different ways thanks to that extra analouge handle in the middle, lovely

Advertisement