Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling Bank Account Query

Options
  • 11-03-2005 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

All,

I have a job offer this summer that requires me to work in the Greece, the job is with a UK company...

They have requested that I have a Uk bank account...

Could anyone advise me on what to do?

I wont be living in the UK so surely I wont be able to open a bank account?

Is there some way to open a Sterling bank account in ireland that would be acceptable to this UK company?

kind regards...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

no, basically they want a uk account to transfer the funds electronically. u can open a uk account, if u take several pieces of ID, bills etc, and have a car, drive up north and open an account in a uk bank there, with ur address as ur irish address, this can be done easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭dewsbury

lomb wrote:
    no, basically they want a uk account to transfer the funds electronically.

Why do the need a UK account for electronic xfer - Irish banks can handle electronic xfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

but it wont transfer by the uk equivelent of paypath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

lomb wrote:
    no, basically they want a uk account to transfer the funds electronically. u can open a uk account, if u take several pieces of ID, bills etc, and have a car, drive up north and open an account in a uk bank there, with ur address as ur irish address, this can be done easily.

I dont think so...

You can easily open a sterling bank account in Bank of Ireland Global Markets on Talbot St, Dublin 1. You'll need the usual id and proof of address and they can accept international payments via Swift transfer (also called InterPay).

You could also arrange this by going into any branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

i use ulster bank for my stering account, its run by them in dublin but technically its in belfast. ask them for a sterling hold account at any branch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

thanks guys, I had hoped that in this modern age we live in that there would be some arrangement....

Ok lets see if I got this right now, IM with Ulster bank, So I walk in and ask for information about and 'Offshore Account' :-)

If the UK company does not accept the 'sterling hold account' Ill just ask if a swiz Bank a/c will do, they must be easy to setup if what I see on TV is correct...

Thanks again guys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

You can use my UK bank details and I will email you when the money comes in ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think people are mixing up "sterling bank account" with a "UK Bank account". It's quite possible to have sterling bank accounts outside of the UK, but they aren't the same as having a UK bank account.

You could trying opening an account in the North, using your Irish address with the "sister" banks (i.e, if you're with AIB, go to First Trust, Bank Of Ireland/Bank of Ireland, Ulster/Ulster, NIB go to Northern Bank) possibly with a letter of reccomendation from your Irish branch explaining why you need this account and you might get somewhere.

Advertisement