Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any solutions to make Esat BB wireless

• 11-03-2005 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭

Im quite new to wireless networking, only having set up a few Adhoc networks but recently i got a esat bb adsl modem (ZyXel 600 series) and i want to make it wireless, without having to buy a wireless adsl modem.
    Do i just buy a standard wireless access point and if yes what makes do you recommend, i personnaly would like a Lynksys router but all the other wireless NIC's are SMC and Dell.
    And say if i link the modem to the wireless router do i have to disable DCHP on the modem and do i have to switch it to bridging mode.
    or is just better to assign a static ip to the wireless computers?

Any ideas would be greatly appreaced, thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

wireless router is same price as access point now. about €80 in shops. just plug ur modem in it and it works as router & access point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Any good shops in town to get this router, someone told me to go to maplins but there charging 150 quid and then i seen the ADSL wireless router for 230 quid. YIKES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

Jammer wrote:
    wireless router is same price as access point now. about €80 in shops. just plug ur modem in it and it works as router & access point.

Would a USB modem plug into the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Not a USB one no. Does your modem have an ethernet connection?? Otherwise you would have to get a router with a built in ADSL modem like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002A45AO/qid=1110722811/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/202-6298906-3792605. This will replace the modem you already have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Linksys BEFW11S4 , about 60 euro. If your using the Esat presrtige modem, Run an ethernet cable from the modem to a LAN port on the router...NOT the uplink/internet port. Then go into the router settings (192.168.1.1) and diable DHCP. Remember... LAN not Uplink

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

I've been trying to set up my Linksys router for the last 24 hrs - have gotten very little sleep and food, my wife and kids think I'm married to the computer - it has been doing my head in. I finally came across your advice and, even though I found it extremely odd I tried it in desperation. Imagine my joy when I rebooted and found all connections working yahoo!
    Thanks John
    Linksys BEFW11S4 , about 60 euro. If your using the Esat presrtige modem, Run an ethernet cable from the modem to a LAN port on the router...NOT the uplink/internet port. Then go into the router settings (192.168.1.1) and diable DHCP. Remember... LAN not Uplink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

woah, only finding i made this thread last march, ive learned a lot about routers and wireless, i have 3 set up in the house all linked to each other with different router ips for access to any router to get to the admin panel

Advertisement