Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bureau De Change - egnahC eD uaeruB - Bureau De Change

Options
  • 11-03-2005 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

My mother went to our local Bureau De Change in the Square to change £10 Sterling into Dollars.

It sounds simple enough but no, they changed the £10 to Euro @ .732500 (rate) - which gave €13.65 - €1.50 (commision) = €12.15c

Then they sold her $15.00 @1.313200 (rate) - which cost €11.42 + €1.50 (commision) = €12.72c

Which leaves a balance of €0.77 to pay, but she only gave in £10.

I don't think this is right, why can't they just convert the Sterling to Dollars ?

It cost €3.00 - €0.77 = WTF ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

My mother went to our local Bureau De Change in the Square to change £10 Sterling into Dollars.

It sounds simple enough but no, they changed the £10 to Euro @ .732500 (rate) - which gave €13.65 - €1.50 (commision) = €12.15c

Then they sold her $15.00 @1.313200 (rate) - which cost €11.42 + €1.50 (commision) = €12.72c

Which leaves a balance of €0.77 to pay, but she only gave in £10.

I don't think this is right, why can't they just convert the Sterling to Dollars ?

It cost €3.00 - €0.77 = WTF ?

Because this is Ireland: neither sterling nor dollars are "our" currencies.

she could convert sterling to dollars in the UK
    she could convert dollars to sterling in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thats how they make teir money on the commission, Because the amount is so small the commision charged is a large percentage of the transaction, If she changed $100 I'm sure the commission would be the same.

Why not wait and change the money in America!, (sorry strike that last comment, Banks in America are even bigger rip off artists than here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

She's sending the cash over to the US to my uncle for him to post back cigarettes :rolleyes: , I just can't understand why they didn't just transfer the sterling into Dollars, but I suppose that's how they make there money.

Advertisement