Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GuildWars European PreOrder - now available

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Wasn't interested in preordering, but can't wait for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Counterstrike for MMO players, but I love it hehe. Not sure what the longevity will be like, but the guild battles involve alot of different tactics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

ive pre-ordered it for 28.99 euro from play.com, cheaper than the defualt link from guildwars. i hope to see ye playing guild wars, need some irish guilds

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Nice. I've no credit card, I'll have to wait until it's released (GAME said April 29th they'd have it in), so I imagine I'll be shelling out about €50 for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

looks like a cool game, I really enjoyed beta, fast fun gameplay. Wish I wasn't so addicted to WoW :)

But honor system is live on friday as well so..

• Advertisement

we should make a thread when its out, whos got it so maybe we can form an irish guiild or something :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

So, if I order from Gameplay or play, will I get it here on the 27th? or will it be shipped on the 27th?(Cause an post is slow as fcuk now and games take a week and a half to get here)

ATM I am just going to buy it from game unless I can get a good quick shipment overseas

i want to know that same thing, i think it should be here by that day, and play.com games come to me in kerry in 3-5 days normaly, and its 8 days to release date woheay

Yeah, but will they ship it before the release? I would like it for the weekend cause I am gonna be playing it with my hardcore American buddies, so I can't give them a head start :-D

Some of the sites will send you the code from the game anyway, so you don't need the box at all.
    There's a few things I don't like about the game (collision detection, inability to jump off even really small ledges), but tactically it's great. The PvP arenas are great fun (the latest beta last weekend had two new PvP arenas, though they seem to have removed the old one). Counterstrike for MMORPG players.

I think though after a while you'd get bored of just pking (though, that said, counterstrike is still doing quite well :P). You are now given the choice when starting to create a PvP character, or a RP character (who can progress to doing PvP, but would be able to buy weapons etc outside the arena), so I think I'd be tempted to start a new char from level 1. It doesn't take that long to level anway.

They've also split up the regions, so you can select US, Europe or er someplace else (I think it was Korea). I don't think there's a problem with being in another region though. I got a bit tired of our multilingual neighbours :P Then again I've fallen too often for the join a US clan and end up playing at 2am just cause that's when they all start coming on...

• Advertisement

And some sites = ?...

I will just buy from GAME unless I can find a site that will get it to me on the 27th to 29th. Prolly best to just give the money to GAME tough even though they will charge me a tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Guild Wars is great. First thing on my buy list once the Leaving Cert is finished. Played the Beta Event and it was really great fun. There are so many different group and set up variations which work well together, and the PvP requires co ordination and skill. Getting max level only takes about 2 days played time afaik but there is limitless potentional for expanding your char in PvP, which is what the game is all about.
    Even if the honor system / battlegrounds turns out to be good (which I doubt it will, cause the game has such a crap group system, lets face it) I'll still be playing Guild Wars.

And there's no monthly sub, can't argue with that!!

ya i like the way they made it that its not the amoutn of hours you play but the effort you put into teamwork etc which levels you faster. guild wars owns. lol nows no a good time to buy the game for the people about to do the leaving cert, im luckily in 5th year, :D , good luck with ur leaving cert cina and i hope to see you around the battlefields of guild wars after june 20th after the leaving cert .

Yeah my college exams start the week after it's released, but to hell with it! Just play it sparingly for the month the exams are on and then really get stuck into it after...

Be interesting now to see how many expansions they release. I love the fact that there's no subscription, I wouldn't be playing it otherwise, but it could sour things if they try to take advantage and release a ridiculous amount of fully priced expansions.

I would be fully expecting a good few full price expansions to keep up with server costs and storage and CS etc...

Yeah, I have college exams beginning on the 16th. Screw that though :D

i would be expecting that the expansions will range from 15-25 euros

I remember reading somewhere that one of the developers had said the expansions would be full priced. At least you don't have to buy them to continue playing.

4 days until release wohoo

Few questions. Do they have any plans for battles bigger than 8v8? What are battle arenas like? and is there going to be content inbetween expansions? (I thought I read there would be, it will prolly be pretty lame though :D)

Guild Wars now live!

(alegedly)
    http://www.guildwars.com/

• Advertisement

play.com posted mine on wednesday so ill have it monday-tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Few questions. Do they have any plans for battles bigger than 8v8? What are battle arenas like? and is there going to be content inbetween expansions? (I thought I read there would be, it will prolly be pretty lame though :D)

I played Beta myself, and afaik you can't have more than 8 on your team (although this will change with expansions I'm sure!) but there are certain arenas where you can have up to 6 different groups of people fighting each other, which is very fun. (although sometimes the yanks gank up on the europeans :< )

I received my copy by mail today and the game is indeed live.

Where did you buy from Drakar?

I am going to get in tomorrow, my American friends are playing now and they seem to be having a blast. Looks like I have to lie in my sign up though to pretend I am american so I can play with them (Because it auto chooses the server for you I think)

I was given the option during beta to pick which server I wanted, though I haven't been asked again so maybe they are detecting it (??). I ended up buying from www.gameplay.co.uk

Cool thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

I downloaded the client earlier.. but I've stopped there, I'm not shelling out €45 on it as yet. Plus I think I'll buy it from a store.

Whats it like anyway? I know very little about it. Hows it running.. laggy at all? Are the game mechanics similar to WoW for those who are playing both?

It's got some quite spectacular graphics at times (watching the sharks or whatever they are underwater is pretty cool). It's not like WoW though. In my opinion (though others may disagree), it's a purely PvP arena game which has dreams of becoming a fully fledged RPG :P. The arena stuff is great though. There are apparently 450 different skills split amongst all the primary and secondary class combinations, and you can only pick 8 to take into the arena. This forces people to work together to complete objective based maps against other teams. There are so many combinations of skills it makes the tactics very interesting. If you are in a guild, they can compete against other guilds in guild battles which contribute ranking points in a ladder like system. In addition, each continents champions compete against the other continents to win the favour of the gods.

I haven't noticed it being laggy, though the way the game downloads zone content means that you do really need a broadband connection to play.

I would have concerns about how interesting it will be after the new game buzz wears off, but I have previously described it as Counterstrike for MMORPG players, and I stand by that (both in the good and bad sense). It's easy to dip in and out of (battles can be quite quick), and the arena battles are fun (this is it's biggest draw imo). Also no monthly fees, though there will be expansion packs (though these will not be required).

I really don't like the terrain restrictions though. The maps are designed in a way where the designers have decided which routes you can take. This means that (particularly annoying in the pvp arenas) you can't jump off a 1 foot ledge, you have to go around it. Sometimes this can mean that you run away from a group of other people and end up cornered because you thought you could move in a way that you can't.

Anyhoo, it's definately fun.

Got to lvl 20. Having a blast, now to move onto the hall of heroes and things like that where the fun really begins. Better than WoW **IMO**

• Advertisement
Advertisement