Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

USB Problem

• 11-03-2005 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

I don't know if this is the right place so MOD's please feel free to move if neccessary...

I'm having a problem with my USB ports. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop. Today I left the laptop for a a short period (maybe ten minutes), and when I returned it had shut down. This in itself was strange as I have the Power setting set so that the display turns off after 15mins but the machine never shuts down.

I rebooted, and the laptop had indeed not shutdown, i.e. it hadnt gone into Hibernation or anything like that.

When I rebooted, an error message appeared in the taskbar saying a device attached to the USB port was unrecognised - this was my mouse which has never had problems before. I unplugged the mouse plugged it in again and the problem remained. I restarted the PC and when Windows restarted, there was no longer a problem with recognisng the device - now it didnt register that any device was attached!

I have tried a number of other devices since (camera, zip drive, flash drive, anoter mouse) and the USB ports are not registering anything.

I updated the drivers on all the Universal Serial Bus Controllers in the Device Manager, which made no difference. I uninstalled the Enhanced Host Controller and when i next enabled and then renabled a USB Host (all this in Device Manager) it reinstalled the driver.

I pressed F2 at the system start up time and checked the USB Driver was enabled. I disabled and enabled the Enhanced Controller, all the Controllers and Hubs.

Through all this it should be noted that the when the properties for each of these is viewed it says that the device is functioning properly. But if a plug a USB device into either USB Port at the back of the laptop they never are recognised and the USB Port or Hub does not say there is a device connected, unknown or otherwise.

Has anyone any ideas on what I can do? Please!!!

Dell Inspiron 5150 running Windows XP, 2 USB ports at the back of the machine
    From Device Manager:
    -Universal Serial Bus controllers
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller - 24CD
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C2
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C4
    Intel(R) 82801DB/DBM USB Universal Host Controller - 24C7
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

Advertisement