Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psp Europe delay

Options
  • 11-03-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭

It was originally supposed to be launching March, then April. Now its indefinate !

Euro PSP "at least a few months away" - Sony

Tom Bramwell 10:47 11/03/2005

Nintendo gets major head start in Europe.

Sony this week told its internal PlayStation Portable development teams that the handheld system is still "at least a few months away" from release in Europe.

According to a source close to the platform holder, teams were ushered into a meeting and given the news despite the fact that a number of the European launch games are now finished.

UK retail sources we spoke to have apparently been given no indication when the system will launch or how much it will cost, with many now privately predicting that it will be "June at the earliest" before European gamers can get their hands on it.

Sony's major competitor in the next-generation handheld stakes, the Nintendo DS, launches across Europe today priced GBP 99 with a roster of 16 launch titles, having launched in the US and Japan last year.

PlayStation Portable, meanwhile, is only available in Japan at the moment, with a US launch scheduled for 24th March with a price tag of $249.99.

Sony said it had no comment to make this morning

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

It's pretty old actually, April was a real estimate. TIt's meant to be getitng held back to September at the latest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Linkdude wrote:
    It's pretty old actually, April was a real estimate. TIt's meant to be getitng held back to September at the latest.

its not old, it was only announced today

"11/03/2005 "

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Fcuking B*****ds I could have bought one the other day but then changed my mind when i read in psm that it was set for an april release & is due to come with more memory(ie a built in or a bigger stick) than the jap & us versions but they'll proably not even give us that now.

I'm sick of europe getting pissed on by the gaming world while japan and the us just laugh at us.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Sky News did a PSP/DS bit yesterday, funny to see how main stream its geting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

dceire wrote:
    is due to come with more memory(ie a built in or a bigger stick) than the jap & us versions but they'll proably not even give us that now.

The PSP is costing sony enough per unit as it is, I doubt they will off a bigger mem stick for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

it will be late may! consoles are only released in march, may or november.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Typically crap reporting from people who havn't a clue. Seemed a bit Sony slanted but I didn't catch all of it TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Linkdude

L5 wrote:

"11/03/2005 "

No, actually, it's been spreading around that they needed to hold it back for about month now, only know has it been officially released. Making it expected, and pretty old in the end.

We dont all have the inside track.... :rolleyes:

I knew it was delayed but that story was news to me when I read it today as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

evad_lhorg wrote:
    it will be late may! consoles are only released in march, may or november.

thats true, and it's a good guide but its not bible, if Sony aren't able to launch in may but get their **** together by mid-June they're obviously not going to wait (well, I'd be surprised if they did, and give Nintendo even more of a headstart).

As for media coverage, The Sun did a piece on the PSP a week or two ago saying it was almost here and how it was the next must have gadget after the ipod. They mentioned the DS as if it was nintendo who were trying to take the handheld crown and not vise versa. That whole "is the psp the new walkman?" crap. It was pretty obvious that it was paid for by Sony IMO.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

anyone got any sales stats for the ds and psp in japan?
    (which is doing better?)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

they cant make enough of them quickly enough, they need 1 million for launch in the US on the 24th so are concentrating on there for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Glad I bought me DS now ... was having second thoughts that maybe I should have saved my money for the PSP (anyone else feel the DS is too small for adult hands???) but if it is months away then it gives me a bit of time to save up the old pennys :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Godamnit. I saw a couple for sale at Schipol Airport last week and almost shelled out the €330 they were asking, but then said "Hey, sure it'll be out here next month" :rolleyes:
    Looks like it's eBay time...

There's one for sale on the "For Sale" board ATM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

L5 wrote:

"11/03/2005 "

That is old news, in some Sony Press release in Feb - some corporate stuff - it said that the US release is only possible in March thanks to Samsung manufacturing some PSP's, they couldn't cope on their own.

And It also said that a PAL release won't happen in Q2, which means it will be July or later.

So I'd reckon maybe September?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

who cares if its local distribution is delayed you can pick up the japanese import now or the us version at the end of the month, its the 21st century forget the local Irish shops. The games are not region coded and who wants to buy here anyway witht he crazy prices,

Just remember to get them to mark it down so no duty I have the japanese psp now for a about a month cost 275 which I thought was good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hey man, where did u get it ?
    would lik-sang mark it down ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well the one thing about sony is the respect they have always afforded to the Ireland, both the consumer and the retailer.
    Be sure that the launch is only going to be delayed as long as it takes to make sure it is done right and without the needless hiccups of the Jap release.
    I reckon it will be worth the wait.
    Those with any contact with Sony on a professional level will know exactly what I mean, their reps are some of the best to deal with overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

got it at http://japonmania.com/ they were excellent its now marked at 269 Euro and the games are cheap, I got it in 5 days and they marked it down so no Duty ))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Just FYI Amazon UK have it penned in for 24th June (not concrete), so that's, what, 3+ months late? They've also pushed back all the release titles.
    Us lucky Eurpoeans really get handed the sh*tty end of the stick when it comes to games...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Well the one thing about sony is the respect they have always afforded to the Ireland, both the consumer and the retailer.
    Be sure that the launch is only going to be delayed as long as it takes to make sure it is done right and without the needless hiccups of the Jap release.
    I reckon it will be worth the wait.
    Those with any contact with Sony on a professional level will know exactly what I mean, their reps are some of the best to deal with overall.

wtf you talking about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Respect to Ireland, both consumer and retailer eh?

Yes, please regale us with your stories of how much fun it must be to sell and support Sony gear?

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

anyone know anything about the rumour that sony are already working on a new version that will take mini-bluray disks?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a rumour from the rumour mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

I hav a us psp comin next week, does anybody know if i need to buy a plug for here or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dor83 wrote:
    I hav a us psp comin next week, does anybody know if i need to buy a plug for here or what?
    just get a cable example one like a power cord from a sky digibox or an old kittle one

Advertisement