Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you remind yourself of the constellations when outside?

Options
  • 12-03-2005 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to familarise myself with the most common constellations in the sky since last November. I found it easy enough to figure out the brighest and most famous of these such as Orion and the Canis Majoris. I find the dimmer ones tricky to see (ie Cancer) but I try to find these using the ones I know. For example I imagine, the lower end of the "W", Cassiopeia points to Cepheus (I imagine it as the King's crown).

I would be curious to know how you eye "hop" around the sky? Especially when you got a partly cloudy night to navigate around which can be pretty often. :)

Here's the order in which I got used to the night sky and how I used the more common ones
    to link up.

1. The Bigger Dipper - I remembered this since I was a kid and that summed up my knowledge! As you know, that doesn't even count since it's not even a full constellation.
    Anyway, my first lesson was finding out that 2 of the stars Dubhe and Merak made a decent pointer to Polaris (help me point north) and the rest of the Canis Minoris. Neat trick that.

2. Orion - The hunter My favourite. There seems to be so much information packed in this one. First of all is Betelguese with it's fiery red glow and Rigel fiery blue stare! The Sword made of 3 vertical "stars" which hides that stellar nursery. Looking with binos I can see a blue blurry blob in it which I imagine is the Orion Nebula. I found this breath taking. Although I really need a telescope to truely appreciate it. I can't get over the sudden increase in visual stars when looking through binos. This struck me when looking at Orion's belt using binos: Mintaka, Alnilam and Alnitak. In between, stars spilled around these like a looped necklace. Wow! Makes me want to eventually photograph these. I find it hard to see Orion's arms but I saw them fairly good last week when there was a great clear sky with no moon interrupting.

3. Orion's belt is another great pointer. Drawing a rough line left through these 3 stars I use it to find the Big Dog (Sirius, brightest star).

4. That helps me to rememeber to look for the little dog above it. The star Procyon and a fainter star, Gomeisa, act as yet another pointer... this time to Gemini.

5. In Gemini, since I started looking, It's pleasing to see Saturn (yellow/orange to me) hanging around close to Pollux and Castor those twin. This is a nice constellation to view and usually I can see all of the extended "C"

6. Back to Orion again, I remember that the Hare is under Orion. I find it hard to see most of the time, especially now since Orion is lower in the sky than it was a few months ago (I tend to view around 10pm). I try to see 2 of the stars that make a vertical line and try to imagine the legs pairs arcing off each side, 2 to left and right.

7. Going back to Orion's belt, if I draw a line to right it helps me to find Aldebaran in Taurus. This constellation is highlights a lot for me. It reminds me of the Auriga constellation since the bull joins it from beneath it and I see Capella fiery bright in the ring that makes up Auriga.

8. I see the Pleiades close right of the Bull. It's a really nice cluster to view. Looks almost delicate to the eye. I got to know Pleiades when the comet Machholz went this way in early January. :)

9. From there, I can see the feet of Perseus up a bit and to the right. I follow the starry legs which join at the hip at Mirfak, noting Algol on the right leg as I do. I got to know the star Algol and the constellation Perseus when the comet Machholz moved up between the legs and I used Algol and a star from the other "leg" to draw a line to find the comet around the middle of January.

10. In Perseus I use the stars Eta Persei and Phi Persei (sorry about the names) to act as another pointer to Andromeda and the Andromeda galaxy which I must admit I find hazy and dim but easy enough to find using those stars and a little help from Pegasus. I go to the "square" of stars... and from Alpheratz.. climb up two stars to Mu Andromedae and go across to the Andromeda galaxy using the help from the two stars in Perseus.

11. Next, is Cassiopeia, normally I don't need a pointer for this. Once I find a W shaped constellation I know I found it. It's a nice easy one to remember and I use the lower end of the W to point to the next constellation... Cepheus. As I mentioned I imagine it as a King's crown.

12. One of the later ones, I found was Leo the lion. I find this one fun this I remember the reverse question mark (sickle shape) joining a triangle via Regulus. I find that a handy pointer to Jupiter at the moment... although Jupiter is so bright now who needs it? :)

13. Other constellations I can see bits of are: Cancer. This one is a tough one. I can make it out but I really have to strain to see them and need to look for awhile if I happened to look away from it. I try to remember that its located left beside Gemini. Canes Venatici (The hunting dogs)... 2 stars... pointing at The Great bears legs. Easy one.

14. I find Cygnus tricky to find but I probably see Deneb there but not aware of the rest of the constellation. Likewise Vega, I see it but the rest of the Lyra isn't really visible to me.

15. I keep forgetting to look out for Aries which is close to Perseus and the Triangle. How do you remember these?

16. Go back to Cancer, I notice I can see the head of sea monster just under cancer (thats how I imagine the circle of stars in Hydra). I can make it out down as far as the bright star Alphard but not much further.

17. I know about Virgo, but only because Jupiter is moving in it at the moment. :) I can see the star Spica underneath it and the others very faintly but tricky to form the constellation in my mind for some reason. In, Bootes, I can know the star Arcturus if I can see Jupiter - it's a way to confirm. :)

That's generally my known lot. I'll love to hear how you figure your way around? Do you find you need to confirm a star (or comet or other) by looking out for a known star or constellation? For example, recently following the comet Machholz I would spend awhile jugding it's exact location by using nearby stars. Obvious I know but people have so many methods to do this. What constellations not here do you find easy to find (and not up at 3am)? Maybe by late summer - I'll get to see more constellations...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

hamster wrote:
    Anyway, my first lesson was finding out that 2 of the stars Dubhe and Merak made a decent pointer to Polaris (help me point north) and the rest of the Canis Minoris. Neat trick that.

Sorry Hamster, you mean URSA Minoris!

Ursa Major (the Great Bear) is the greater constellation of which, The Plough asterism is only a part of.
    Dubhe (pronounced 'Doovay') & Mirak point to Polaris, the tail of Ursa Minor, the Little/Lesser Bear.

:D

Seanie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Thats a nice guide you wrote :) It used to be that I'd look up into the sky and fight it amazing how people could spot anything up there, but eventually with experience and practice.. there comes a time when its just completely natural.

Ill go outside take a look into a sky, and for a split second I have no bearings.. its just a bunch of stars, but then for example I see one bright star, and another less bright star separated by an all too familiar distance, and thats all you need to know your looking at leo, and everything falls into perspective. Most of the time.. like midnight during the summer months, you don't even need to look, you already know cygnus is directly above staring you in the face.

That said there is big gaping holes in my own little stellar map that exists entirely in my own head, like camelopardalis and lacerta.. and dim constellations like that, especially the ones real far north and away from the line of the milky way, or down near virgo and the ones that are always hazy and difficult to see cos you only see them at the shortest days of the year. And put me in Australia.. and I'd be very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Yes oops Ursa Minoris... I must say more on this. Probably this weekend, just at work now. Got a 10x50 pair of binos from Astronomy Ireland so I'll give them a go as soon as the weather clears...

hamster wrote:
    Got a 10x50 pair of binos from Astronomy Ireland

Ouch! how much were you fleeced for them??

Seanie M wrote:
    Ouch! how much were you fleeced for them??

Hmm.. 89 Euro. I have them in my hand now and there are of very good quality. I can tell the difference from an old tasco 12x50 pair I had lying around. I have to say I'm happy with them so far.

Did you find them expensive?

• Advertisement

hamster wrote:
    Hmm.. 89 Euro. I have them in my hand now and there are of very good quality. I can tell the difference from an old tasco 12x50 pair I had lying around. I have to say I'm happy with them so far.

Did you find them expensive?

Depends. For those, thats not a bad price. I've looked on their site before and my jaw dropped when I saw the prices of most of their equipment! Binoculars are simple things - A&S has it like they are computerised - at least by the prices they quote!
    You should shop around for astronomical gear. I know hamster you said in another thread how happy you were with what you saw in their shop, but personally, and from lots of experience, they are the worst for prices. To buy from England (where they get their stock anyway), and pay for shipping and insurance, its cheaper to get it on your own - and the stuff is still covered by warranty too.

Oh, and contrary to what they may have told you regarding why to buy a Celestron instead of a Meade from them, Meade are not going out of business! They just make you think that so that you buy an expensive Celestron from them, and not another Celestron or Meade from the other Irish dealers, like Andromeda Optics! Trust me!

:D

Seanie,

Thanks for the pointer on price. Yes, I agree.. prices seem to be steeper.. even compared to locally. But the US vs Ireland prices is crazy isn't it? :( I had a good look at the prices. Would I get a decent basic Refractor or Reflector (cheaper I know) anywhere in Ireland. I'll check out the UK as you suggest. I'm not going to risk US since I want backup from the manufactors if things go amiss. But I guess now I will spend about anywhere from 600-1000 euro on good basic telescope. I am torn between a reflector and a refractor. Which do you prefer?
    I want to see stars but I also want to view the moon and planets. Maybe I can get a compromise available with a refractor version? For example maybe a Firstscope 80 EQ (3.2" refractor).

Why does Astronomy Ireland seem to get bad press. I heard from another post that the individual was glad he was not getting another issue of their mag? I subscribed for 1 year at 40 euros. It's seems pretty good. But just wondering... since a few people are giving me the same vibes about them. But yep, the prices definitely.. ie the FS 80 EQ should not be 600 euro. In the US, its more like $199 and that would mean about 200-250 stg maybe. I saw the joke that UK retailers just swop the currency sign. :)

Anyway must pop out get a glimpse of mercury... the weather is finally good today. Wahey! :) Again thanks for the advice.

Hamster,the bad press is mainly down to the actions of the man who runs it. Look, I am not going to start about why's and why not's on Astronomy & Space, suffice to say, they don't have 10,000 members, Meade are stronger than Celestron, Astronomy Ierland does not exist and its a company called Astronomy & Space, and that too many people I have talked to were sick and tired of being conned (yeah, its the right word I think) by them into parting with too much money and not getting enough in return (you pay a membership fee and they STILL CHARGE you to look through a telescope in the Phoenix Park - not right).

:(

Seanie.

Advertisement