Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The da Vinci code film

• 12-03-2005 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Hi people does anyone know any info on the upcoming film. All i know so far is

Langdon is played by Tom Hanks
    Jean Renauto (assasin from LEON) is Bezu Fache
    and
    Audrey Tautou playsSophie Neveu

The film will be directed by Ron Howard, can anyone add anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its out May 19th 2006 in the States. A rumour I heard was that Jim Carrey was approached to play Silas. Just a rumour, mind....

With all the fundamentalist christians in the states, there is a danger of the religious elements of the movie being toned down. I can't see how this will happen to be honest - especially considering thats the whole backbone to the story (without which you'll have a fairly substandard thriller).

All the latest info about the movie can be found here: http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808649773

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

Carrey as Silas? me no think so.. i think carrey is VERY underated as an actor but that role is too far too fast..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

TmB wrote:
    A rumour I heard was that Jim Carrey was approached to play Silas. Just a rumour, mind....
    Even though Carrey is a versatile actor, playing a 6 foot albino monk may be pushing him a bit far. And Reno for Fache could be good, perhaps not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I reckon in the adaption of this book to a screenplay quite a lot of chunks and exposition will be dropped. I expect whole sequences involving Teabing to be greatly shortened, and some of the stuff involving the Vatican may be glossed over too.

It's just part of how a film has to move, and I suspect there is a lot in this book which won't lend itself to film storytelling. Sometimes movie changes can benefit the story (for the screen): Contact is one I consider to have been done very well, despite massive story changes involving Ellie's family life.

Movies also tend to keep key character numbers to seven or eight, but The DaVinci Code is pretty good in this regard in that there aren't an awful lot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

When I was reading the book I was thinking Ralph Fiennes would be a good choice to Play Silas??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

xern wrote:
    When I was reading the book I was thinking Ralph Fiennes would be a good choice to Play Silas??
    yeah he would be good, but it wouldn't be too disimilar from his role in Red Dragon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭carpocrates

I know that it's going to be sh1t. Does that help you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

I know that it's going to be sh1t. Does that help you?

:)

Tom Hanks, awful choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

BolBill wrote:
    Tom Hanks, awful choice.
    Yeah I have to agree, Hanks is really bad choice. He doesn't pull the introverted professor off that well, reading the book I always thought of Harisson Ford type character in Indiana Jones with the tweed jacket, as the type of character Browne was describing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

They will certainly make a cock and balls of it and no doubt it will be billed as Tom Hanks in The DaVinci Code, when the actor gets more prominence than the movie you can be sure its turned out a crock of ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Keano_sli wrote:
    They will certainly make a cock and balls of it and no doubt it will be billed as Tom Hanks in The DaVinci Code, when the actor gets more prominence than the movie you can be sure its turned out a crock of ****

Excellent point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Personally i think Hanks is perfect for the role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

silas wrote:
    Yeah I have to agree, Hanks is really bad choice. He doesn't pull the introverted professor off that well, reading the book I always thought of Harisson Ford type character in Indiana Jones with the tweed jacket, as the type of character Browne was describing.

Reading the book, I pictured Dennis Quaid (the poor mans Harrison Ford) as Langdon.I'd of thought he'd be pretty good. But I can't piture Tom Hanks in the role. Maybe he'll be good, but I have my doubts. Only time will tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

I Always pictured Viggo Mortensen as Langdon, and that wrestler Kane as Silas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Buck Owens wrote:
    I Always pictured Viggo Mortensen as Langdon, and that wrestler Kane as Silas

quite the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

Keano_sli wrote:

And of course working with such fine source material.

I always say bette milder as the girl, hugh grant as the professor, and and the guy from the cilet bang ads as the cop. Oh and Antonio Bandareas as the evil brit.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Personally I always had Sandy from the O.C as Langdon (Peter Gallagher) and a more menacing version of that guy from Buffy as Silas. I guess the imagination is a strange thing!!!
    I was disappointed when I heard Tom Hanks was going to be Langdon, its suppposed to be someone with Dark hair, old but still athletic, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

I think it should be Donald Sutherland as Langdon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭whatalanger

Someone like Guy Pearce should play langdon, with sophie marceau as sophie neveau. Who would play Sir Leigh Teabing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

lee evans!! hes done the gimped up thing before in theres something about mary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Jim Caviezel as Langdon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

I think it should be Donald Sutherland as Langdon

How good is your time machine? Sutherland is like 60/70 he's far too old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

silas wrote:

I felt the same way ... I pictured Langdon as Indiana in his college lecturer mode!!

Isn't Ron Howard directing the movie .... if so, no wonder he choose Hanks for the part!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

Just had a quick look at the IMDB website to see if there were any further details on the cast!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/fullcredits

Have a look at the Art Department crew :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

All we have to do is pitch in together, and have Tom Hanks assassinated. It shouldnt take more that 1-2,000 each. We could get a real quality hitman and no one would ever know.

Then they can cast someone decent in the role of Langdon.

Tom Hanks, FFS!

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

its been announced that Sir Ian McKellin has been cast as professor Teabing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

its been announced that Sir Ian McKellin has been cast as professor Teabing
    Excellent.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Shad0w

I agree with Sophie Marceau as Sophie, and maybe Jim Caviezel as Langdon even though I would think Liam Neeson would play a better Langdon. But I can't see Ian McKellan as Teabing. Maybe Anthony Hopkins. But I would have to say without doubt that Tom Noonan from Manhunter/Eight Legged Freaks/Last Action Hero would make the perfect Silas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I always have thought that our very own Liam Neeson would be perfect for the role of Langdon. Harrison Ford is also an obvious choice, but i think he's a bit too old at this stage...

The recent addition of Ian McKellen as Teabling and Alfred Molina for Bishop Aringosa are good casting choices. Read this on teletext. dont actually have a link for that, but im sure google will be your friend in this case....

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Highlander

it appears Christopher Eccelson is to play Silas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

Jean Reno perfect. Tom Hanks a disastrous choice. Aidan Quinn would be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

But tom hanks has box office appeal - aiden quinn doesn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Well it is a best selling book in america, it has a ready made audience. Do we really need box office appeal. Personally I'd prefer it was unknown, and as good as it can be, than well known and that little bit shítter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Only seen there now that Tom Hanks is to play Robert Langdon. How crappy is that! I mean, I love the guy in all his 80's comedies etc. But he's a bit too old (and fat) to play Langdon. Yes, Liam Neeson would be a good choice. He's got more of Professor look about him than Hanks. I think it would also be a good idea for a slightly unknown actor to play the part.

Paul Bettany (Jennifer Connelly's hubbie) now looks like he's set to play Silas.

http://www.sky.com/showbiz/article/0,,50001-1183566,00.html

Me thinks Ron H is being abit lazy with the casting!!

P.S. Angels and Demons is such a better book/story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

dont think they could get away with angels and demons with the pope having died so recently,all those hardcore catholics would go bannanas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

Donald Sutherland is too old to play Langdon, Langdon is supposed to still have black in his hair, Sutherland is totally grey.
    I think the woman in Judging Amy should play Sophie, she is supposed to be red headed after all. OOH and you know the British guy in The Last Samurai?. He should play Teabing. Come on......its perfect!
    And boooo for Hanks. He doesnt suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Gileadi wrote:
    dont think they could get away with angels and demons with the pope having died so recently,all those hardcore catholics would go bannanas

I don't think you would have to be a hardcore catholic to be offended by the story coming out the same year. OT: Angels & Demons got absolutely ridiculous when
    Langdon jumped from a helicopter using a canvas sheet as a parachute

I find films tend to be dumbed down versions of the books, so God help a film made from a dumbed down book. The best parts of a very flawed books where the historical facts(?), and as said, a lot of these will probably be glossed over for the book.

And CrazyTalk is bang on the money "boo to Tom Hanks". What a bad decision, as has already been said the book is already a sensation, I don't think a name like his was needed to draw in the punters.

Advertisement